Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

• 46" x22" Shelf area with 4" high rail on 3 sides
  • Minimum 18" clearance beneath rack (deeper once you clear the front horizontal rail)
  • Legs unbolt for shipping or storage
  • Mounts to utility rails using 2 bolts per foot. Use up to 1/4" hardware
  • Does not interfere with opening cargo floor
  • Total weight 45 lbs

Base Rack Cost:

• Black Bedlined Rack $260 +shipping
  • "Metal Grate" Deck Surface +$75 per shelf
  • 1/4-20 Springnut hardware kit +$10

Rack with Slide-Out lower shelf

• 46" x22" Top Shelf area with 4" high rail on 3 sides
  • 38" x 28" Lower Slide-out Shelf
  • 300LB Rated Slides​
  • Slides lock securely at the closed and fully open positions​
  • Minimum 17.5" clearance between top shelf and slide-out shelf
  • Legs and slide-out unbolt for shipping or storage
  • Total weight 72 lbs
Slide-Out Rack Cost:

• Black Bedlined Rack $675 +shipping
NEW: Rack with Dual Slide-Out lower shelf

• 46" x22" Top Shelf area with 4" high rail on 3 sides, expanded metal mesh surface
  • Split Lower Slide-out Shelves, expanded metal mesh surface
  • 17.5" x 28" Deep (Approx. 19 5/8" wide between uprights)
  • 300LB Rated Slides
  • Slides lock securely at the closed and fully open positions
  • Minimum 17.5" clearance between top shelf and slide-out shelf
  • Legs and slide-out unbolt for shipping or storage
Dual Slide-Out Rack Cost:

• Black Bedlined Rack $975 +shipping

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Hoping to start selling some quality options In the New England area. Shipping from other vendors has always been a killer for me.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a request from another member for some additional information.

In its current iteration (light wall tubes for structure, heavy wall for legs) the rack weighs 45 lbs. Future racks will be made entirely from the light wall tubing, as its approx. 38% lighter and plenty strong for this application. I was just using up scraps as I made this rack for my own use.

An example shipping quote to Colorado was $75 UPS to a residential address.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wow! Great design. You sir are a Welder amongst welders.
I have always said that Welders are practical engineers.

Mods
1 An expanded metal grate could be added to sit on top of the cross bars
2 A divider between the cargo area and the passenger area to prevent flying objects in the cab during panic stops or crashes
3 An under shelf or drawers

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Great design. You sir are a Welder amongst welders.
I have always said that Welders are practical engineers.

Mods
1 An expanded metal grate could be added to sit on top of the cross bars
2 A divider between the cargo area and the passenger area to prevent flying objects in the cab during panic stops or crashes
3 An under shelf or drawers
Welding is just a hobby, practical engineering is my day job.

A grate could easily be added, I actually have a few pieces of perforated aluminum the perfect size. At the moment, for my needs, the cross braces seem to wrok, but will know more after the first trip.

The divider is a good idea, depending on how the shelf is loaded. For larger loads (i.e. Action packer or Pelican case) that are tied down, it may not be useful. For smaller, random objects excellent idea.

I really wanted a drawer on this, and may still add some side pullouts, but I would not make my large cooler fit below and my action packers above along with a drawer.

If anyone has custom rejects I am more then willing to work with you on some modifications, collaboration always breeds the best result in the end!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is (sort of) how I load the rack. I'll try to get a better pic towards teh end of next week when I pack for my Memorial Day weekend trip

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do you have any issues with the tubs up top sliding around? from the pics (maybe I didnt see it correclty) but it looks like there is no lip so seems like the tubs or whatever is up on the top shelf will slide off when you accelerate.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have any issues with the tubs up top sliding around? from the pics (maybe I didnt see it correclty) but it looks like there is no lip so seems like the tubs or whatever is up on the top shelf will slide off when you accelerate.
You are correct, there is no lip, even with a lip, things may slide left to right. Because I carry a few different things up there I always bungee them down or use cinch straps.

For an extra $20 I can add a rail around the front, I will have to work out the height so that an action packer can be loaded with the lid on. I believe that with the height of these legs (I can customize this too) the front rail may have to be about 1" lower then the side/back rails.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You don't really need a lip unless you are concerned about accelerating so fast that stuff flies through the rear window.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts