Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Xterra - front 1/2” lift (adjustable), rear 1 “ lift HD springs, 33” tires
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in here to share my experience with the huge difference in gas mileage I’ve experienced recently.

I was consistently getting around 200 mi/tank. That was shitty but I’ve had worse.

For the last month and half or so I’ve gotten close to if not over 300 mi/tank. I think 345 miles being the highest I’ve seen.

I don’t have any crazy mods. But I do have aftermarket leaf springs and 285/75/16 tires.. Is this common? How many of you guys see this in your own rigs?

Today my gas light came on at 272 mi. I hope these mpgs are here to stay.

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6spd
78 Posts
Interesting that you went up. I got my 13' P4X MT w/35kmi on 30Jan2020. I've actually kept record of MPGs since it got it.

When I first got it, I was getting average 17.5-18mpg (about 260mi w/quarter tank left.) After adding sliders, roof basket and LT 265/75r16 I average about 16.5-17mpg (240mi w/quarter tank left).

I've taken it till the gas light comes on, around 300-340ish miles.

I do live in Hawaii so there's a lot of traffic. Plus I kinda live on a mountain so I go up and down hills with avg of a couple hundred feet of elevation each hill. I drive 50/50 hwy/stop and go. Only 20mi round trip daily to and from work.

For me I think it's alright (coming from a toyota matrix with 32mpg). But I bought the X to offroad so I live with the mpgs. I know once I add my lift it'll drop more, or even 285s.

For a X in HI I think my mpgs are average, if not a little better because of the stop and go and a traffic light every hundred yards or so.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I get over 300 miles per tank during warmer months and under 300 during winter here in CO. I’ve read about winter gas mixture being different during winter, at least here in CO apparently and that causes a loss in fuel efficiency. Don’t know how true this is, but It’s been that way consistently for the 7 years I’ve owned my Xterra. 285s, aluminum skids and steel rear bumper and sliders. I got just over 400 miles on a tank last summer driving from Denver to SLC averaging 55mph (following my girlfriend’s brother driving a Uhaul).

·
Registered
2011 Xterra - front 1/2” lift (adjustable), rear 1 “ lift HD springs, 33” tires
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get over 300 miles per tank during warmer months and under 300 during winter here in CO. I’ve read about winter gas mixture being different during winter, at least here in CO apparently and that causes a loss in fuel efficiency. Don’t know how true this is, but It’s been that way consistently for the 7 years I’ve owned my Xterra. 285s, aluminum skids and steel rear bumper and sliders. I got just over 400 miles on a tank last summer driving from Denver to SLC averaging 55mph (following my girlfriend’s brother driving a Uhaul).

damn hell yea I’m glad to hear you still get that good mileage with all that armor!

I’ve heard about the winter gas, this is my first winter in the Midwest with this truck. I wonder if that had something to do with my low fuel economy, I guess I didnt think it would make that big of a difference, from avg of 200 - 300 miles ish.
I’ll take it tho.

·
Registered
355 Posts
damn hell yea I’m glad to hear you still get that good mileage with all that armor!

I’ve heard about the winter gas, this is my first winter in the Midwest with this truck. I wonder if that had something to do with my low fuel economy, I guess I didnt think it would make that big of a difference, from avg of 200 - 300 miles ish.
I’ll take it tho.
I know it’s kind of a drastic change for me as well...averaging around 240 miles per tank during winter to then getting around 320 starting right around this time of year.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Jeez... thats a HUGE difference. I'd wondered if we got 'winter gas' in the south. But I've never seen a drop like that.

I see ~17.5mpg, ~270 miles to the tank, with a best ever of 308 miles when doing flat out hwy cruising with zero stops (at 75-80mph)
But my regular commute is SHORT, with hwy, and several stops... so its usually in the 12mpg and ~230mi to the tank.
When I give miles to the tank, I'm generally putting in ~18-18.4 gallons.

Mods listed below, but 2in lift, some armor, and 285 M/T. I worry about more mileage if I change the front bumper (nothing is as aero as oem). But hey... thats what the motorcycle is for. And at 5mi, I can still make a LOT of commutes with bad mileage in one tank.

·
Registered
'07 X 5AT
19 Posts
Very interesting thread. I bought my X back in August 2020. The first thing I did with it was a family trip to northern MI. Four adults, four bikes, clothing, food, etc., pretty well loaded down. I checked my mileage, and was at about 15.6. That was about 90% highway miles at 70ish MPH. Later, I hit 16 MPG a time or two, but since then, I've been consistently running in the 14 MPG range. I've heard of the winter gas before. When does the summer gas start to flow?? Also, my X is bone stock except for LT265 75 R16 KO2s. I'd love to start seeing 300+ miles per tank!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Summer blend will start in about a week or two, usually about the first of May.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts