Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I remember one time doing almost 21 mpg highway on a road trip a few years ago. I use the trip odometer reset and fill method on my 07 off road. Now with 167,000 and still the original plugs (yeah I know) I'm lucky to break 19. I'm doing 15 combined.

·
Registered
10 Posts
According to the owners manual, recommended fuel grade is 87 octane (AKI) which is typically the mid grade in the US, with some exceptions. My understanding of modern fuel systems is that, under that recommended 87 octane could cause the engine to retard timing and make change some other fuel system parameter changes to prevent knock and therefore sacrifice some horsepower and mileage. Anything over that should be no help and a “waste of money”.

So my read is you are in the sweet spot. I’m curious about your tire size and typical load?

I have been averaging 17.3mpg over the last 27k miles with best mileage of 22.5mpg. That includes some towing when I’m typically in the 15mpg range.

I’m on 32” tires with 3.13 gears (auto). It’s a 2011 with 103k on the clock. I am carrying a steel rear bumper with tire carrier, aluminum skids, approx. 75lbs of recovery gear and emergency supplies. Typically two persons.

I use 87 octane fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FYI - Mid grade is 89 octane here in the US.

·
Super Moderator
4,359 Posts
The question I always ask when people start listing their mpg calculations is what they are using to calculate miles and whether whatever they are using has been calibrated for accuracy.

Sometimes the responses I get reveal that the mpg calculations are inflated because they are based upon an inflated number of miles driven as shown by an inaccurate odometer or the result of variances due to different size tires, different gear ratios, etc.

We may not be comparing apples to apples here.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The question I always ask when people start listing their mpg calculations is what they are using to calculate miles and whether whatever they are using has been calibrated for accuracy.

Sometimes the responses I get reveal that the mpg calculations are inflated because they are based upon an inflated number of miles driven as shown by an inaccurate odometer or the result of variances due to different size tires, different gear ratios, etc.

We may not be comparing apples to apples here.

Just sayin'.
We're not, MrBills. You just have to understand that from the very beginning when reading these MPG discussions. One thing you can guess, though, is that most here that aren't accounting for tire size changes are UNDERESTIMATING their MPG because we Xterra peeps typically go larger than OEM on tire size. Gear ratio changes are fairly rare but yeah that'll throw the calculations off as well if not being careful about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I addressed the tire size issue on one of my earlier posts, as did one other member. I know that with the tires I have, the speedometer reads a bit low. I have checked the speedometer many times, against several different radar speed signs. They all agree, and I doubt that all of them are off by the same amount, in the same direction.

As I posted, I round down on my MPG calculations. This alone probably makes up for the slightly larger tires. Even if we subtract one additional whole MPG, I'd still be getting 18-21 on all but one tank, in the year I've had it. The one tank that was different was much higher. That would be over 20 tank fulls in one year. Certainly enough to generate a believable average FOR ME.

As I said before, I use the cruise control as much as possible. I do the speed limit. I don't have a lead foot. At the moment, I don't have anything mounted on the roof, although I have carried a kayak, using pool noodles, several times. Perhaps when I buy a real kayak carrier, my mileage will drop.

As others have said, there are many variables. I happen to drive conservatively, and don't have the Xterra loaded down very much. Also, perhaps I was just lucky to get a really good vehicle that came off the assembly line right after everyone got a raise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use the trip odometer reset and fill method on my 06 off road that has 302,000 miles. I was sinking to 15 mpg when I changed the plugs at 225,000. Now I get 17 - 20. I always put in 87 octane, top tier.I have tracked every mile since new.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I drove almost 400 miles this weekend, with an average of 19.1 mpg. Most of that was loaded down with camping gear for 9 people. It was crazy, on the way home I filled up, reset the trip meter, got on the freeway and tucked in behind a semi for 6 miles. I mean, like really tucked in. Like the air was smooth because I got in front of the buffeting. I was like Ricky Bobby doing the Shake N Bake. I averaged 26.8 mpg in the first 8 miles of a new tank of fuel. 26.8 mpg.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts