Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Colorado also,...
I do get slightly worse mileage in winter, but overall I can't complain. I also use only 85 octane, as that is equivalant to 87 octane at lower altitudes.

Now if someone wants to pay for my gas for 6 months, I'll try using 87 (midgrade) to see if there is a mileage difference. ;)
Slightly lower is to be expected with longer warm up periods, stiffer lubes etc. All the more important to use synthetic fluids and here in MN cold front and plugging in the block if stuck outside.

·
Registered
641 Posts
83k on the X (2011 P4x 6mt) with a 20.28 mpg average based on odometer and gas pump numbers, corrected for tire size differences when i use my snow tires

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
83k on the X (2011 P4x 6mt) with a 20.28 mpg average based on odometer and gas pump numbers, corrected for tire size differences when i use my snow tires

man 20 mpg consistently is pretty good for something like this

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
If they would have put in a turbo I bet it would get 24 plus

i mean yeah but.. think about how much that would have upped the cost, then they would have said well with the turbo we dont need 4.0 ltrs, so then theyd make it smaller and you'd have to be "in boost" to get good torque, plus, turbos put more pressure both literally and figuratively, which effects long term reliability..

no thanks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My main experience with turbos is with diesels and the turbo gives more life to the hp and engine longevity as not lugging and able to run at lower rpms. I bought and mounted a Banks turbo system into a 91 Ford f250 after warranty and was the best thing that ever did for the truck. My Mitsy is a different critter with twin screws intercooled on a 3.0 v6 thats one of the best engines they made

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How much booze are they adding? 89 with booze is still poor as the BTU content is lower. I usedto get on the Illinois border no booze 87 that would give me better than 5% better mpg
The label on the pump says "up to 10%" ethanol. That is another reason I tend to use mid-grade. Most places I have been seem to have 10%. Personally, I'd rather they leave the alcohol out of my gas, and give it to me as bourbon.

When traveling to the CA side of things, I always make sure I have plenty of gas before I leave home. I'm not paying $1 more per gallon (sometimes higher) on that side.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That brings up a point that I had forgotten about. I didn't correct for the tires I have. According to a website that compares such things, subtract 3.3% from my stated mileage figures. Actually, this may not be necessary, as I always round down to the nearest whole number after doing the calculation. I don't care about the fractions.

I don't even keep a record, like I used to. I just calculate for the latest fillup, and make a mental note of the MPG. If it is noticeably different, I'll remember it, like I remember that one tank where I got 28 MPG.

·
Well then...
554 Posts
E rated 33s, front plate bumper, winch, rear bumper, steel drop in roof rack, 3” lift... I get 13 around town and 16-17 highway at around 75mph.

EPA estimated 15/20.

I can’t complain with a truck that fits all my crap, I’ve taken to every trail in my area and can tow my boat without ever showing a hint of “I can’t”. If I ever regear a set if Titan diffs I cant imagine the crawl-ability. The best compromise of all worlds.

Any new suv or mid size truck starts at $50,000+. Do you know how much gas and maintenance I can get for $50,000?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
ccg1018, I'm with you. Whether I buy new or used, I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time (not counting some early junkers). Let's see... 12 years, 16 years, and 7 years for the last one. The only reason I sold it, after buying the Xterra, was I didn't know what to do with two vehicles. Besides, it was a CR-V w/AWD, so there was some overlap with the Xterra.

Oh, and I know that the last two vehicles are still in good condition, and still being driven.

·
Registered
434 Posts
E rated 33s, front plate bumper, winch, rear bumper, steel drop in roof rack, 3” lift... I get 13 around town and 16-17 highway at around 75mph.

EPA estimated 15/20.

I can’t complain with a truck that fits all my crap, I’ve taken to every trail in my area and can tow my boat without ever showing a hint of “I can’t”. If I ever regear a set if Titan diffs I cant imagine the crawl-ability. The best compromise of all worlds.

Any new suv or mid size truck starts at $50,000+. Do you know how much gas and maintenance I can get for $50,000?

Finally someone getting the same mileage as me. I don’t know how members are getting anything in the 20s... I average high teens on the highway. To be fair mileage drops off pretty fast at speeds over 70 on the X and my highway miles are all at 70+.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Finally someone getting the same mileage as me. I don’t know how members are getting anything in the 20s... I average high teens on the highway. To be fair mileage drops off pretty fast at speeds over 70 on the X and my highway miles are all at 70+.
Lots of factors involved hinder/help mileage. Lift, trim level (the OR and P4 are geared differently than an S), custom bumpers, skid plates, mud flaps, stuff inside, stuff on the roof, and finally driving style.

I'm an "S", lifted a bit, maybe 2 inches overall, don't have mud flaps (my GF has them on her Xterra and I get better mpg than she does; she also has a heavy foot too), stock front bumper, and I'm content to cruise at no more than 70mph using cruise control as much as possible. The addition of an awning has cut the mpg a bit, maybe 1 mpg, but on the highway I can get a consistent 20-21 mpg.

So to quote what my daddy always said: "First liar doesn't stand a chance!" I guess a good "test" would be to swap vehicles with someone for a trip and see how much influence a driver has on a vehicle's mpg.

·
Well then...
554 Posts
Lots of factors involved hinder/help mileage. Lift, trim level (the OR and P4 are geared differently than an S), custom bumpers, skid plates, mud flaps, stuff inside, stuff on the roof, and finally driving style.

I'm an "S", lifted a bit, maybe 2 inches overall, don't have mud flaps (my GF has them on her Xterra and I get better mpg than she does; she also has a heavy foot too), stock front bumper, and I'm content to cruise at no more than 70mph using cruise control as much as possible. The addition of an awning has cut the mpg a bit, maybe 1 mpg, but on the highway I can get a consistent 20-21 mpg.

So to quote what my daddy always said: "First liar doesn't stand a chance!" I guess a good "test" would be to swap vehicles with someone for a trip and see how much influence a driver has on a vehicle's mpg.
Yep, the biggest drop happened with the steel bumper. Don’t think it was so much the weight, but the aero the stocker provided. When rolling stock I was getting 20-21 highway at times. The more you mod, the worse it will.

·
Registered
641 Posts
man 20 mpg consistently is pretty good for something like this
yea, i attribute it mostly to my 6spd and driving style

i use it primarily for skiing/camping/hanggliding/mtb so its generally fairly loaded with things when i do use it, and hanggliders on the roof is terrible for aerodynamics, its "stock" except for the sliders/rack/diff cover

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
with the VK56DE v8 I have seen as low as 10 when on it. 13-14 city only... 22 on the highway, average around the same as the v6 when driving normally. 6 speed manual with 285/70/16.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don’t have it anymore With a manual trans And 35s I was regularly getting 17-18 on the hyway and 14-15 around town .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here in NE Florida we can get 89 octane without ethanol. I get 10% better mileage (sometimes better) using that than using 89 with ethanol. Other than better mileage I don't see a difference with the Xterra using the non-ethanol gas. When I had the Ford Fusion Sport that car ran noticeably better on the non-ethanol gas, so much so my wife started using it in her 4runner.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have tracked every fill up in the last 27k miles in the fuely app. Actual fuel used and mileage from the odometer.

You can see all the Nissan Xterras on Fuelly by going to the Reseach Vehicles Page. They also break it down by year. Here's a screenshot and the link. My lifetime on fuelly is 19.2 with a best of 22.4. 33" tires, sliders, full steel skids, rear bumper not tire carrier, rarely carry anything on the roof.

Nissan Xterra MPG - Actual MPG from 1,038 Nissan Xterra owners

1596076336235.png

21 - 40 of 47 Posts