Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving to Colorado (Denver Area) in a few weeks and have a few questions. I have a two wheel drive xterra and am worried about how it will drive in winter conditions. I was born and raised in houston, so I dont have much experience in winter driving. I unfortunetly do not have the money for snow tires at the moment. Will I be ok on stock tires? I regret not buying 4wd now, but did not have the money or need for one at the time. Anything i should do to prep the X? I put in 0 degree wiper fluid and good wiper blades so far. Thank you for any help.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Denver does a pretty good job plowing and you could probably get by with good tires and some driving skill but I would want a 4wd. Honestly, you should have sold it in Houston. You won't get much money for it in CO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Agreed your going to have a tough time and the learning curve is steep. If selling and buying something better for living here is out of the question definetly get some winter tires. Check craigslist as people upgrade their old ones all the time or sell whole sets. You'll need them sooner than later

·
Registered
368 Posts
Trade it in there, you will get nothing here. We just had a friend do this with an expedition (from Dallas and 2wd), the dealership basically gave them close to nothing. We are going into winter here and it won't go up in value. We also have had a pretty wet summer and that will probably carry into fall and winter. Find a way to make it happen to get at least snows rwd without snows might get you into some trouble really quick. The snow dissapears quickly but it comes in pretty quick also.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My X sucks in the Denver snow in 2WD - it is awesome in 4.
I have to agree with the other guys. Try to get rid of it in Houston if you can. Then go see Boulder Nissan when you get here.
Ha I got mine stuck pulling over to the sidewalk in my neighborhood one time in some deep snow. I was thinking WTF, how is this possible!

·
Registered
575 Posts
If planning on staying in CO, seriously consider selling/trading before you move - take a big hit on 2wd in CO when replacing. Highway tires won't cut it in CO so save some money right away for better tires. Make sure coolant is 50/50 with antifreeze and soon replace the 0* W/S solvent with -20 solvent. You'll soon find out if battery is up to snuff also. And, never know, might be mild winter and you'll have few problems but guessing with stock tires and 2wd you'll have tight butt by spring from pucker factor.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
moving to colorado

Denver does a pretty good job plowing and you could probably get by with good tires and some driving skill but I would want a 4wd. Honestly, you should have sold it in Houston. You won't get much money for it in CO.

Lol I now see that he hasn't moved yet. Yes sell it in Houston.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's going to be snowy this year. Out weather patterns are very similar to last year. I happen to love in the high country. I drive my truck in 2wd quite a bit but I also have good snow tires and grew up living in the snow.
Denver stays fairly temperate and the city's snow removal is top notch. Just do everyone a favor and NEVER bring it to the mountains. We get freak snowstorms all year long. Even the smallest incline at a stop light can have you stuck and holding up traffic and make you feel silly.
Definitely do yourself a favor and get an appropriate vehicle. Or enjoy public transportation and walking

·
on line
7,141 Posts
Don't tell people you're from Texas. Co. peeps dislike Texans even though 1% were born somewhere else and moved there. I got anywhere I wanted skiing in a 69' Dodge van with street tires. Maybe it was because I had some years driving in snow. Get some good snow tires and don't try driving like an a hole in the snow and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
just take advantage of the recreational marijuana laws and hang out with similar....everyone like each other and Doritos

285 Posts
My 2¢...

Tires. Maybe look into getting them siped, http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.do , if tire places will sipe used tires. On my Paseo, I went from studded tires, to siped tires. Not as good as studded, but I thought the siping worked well. Tires wore evenly up to the point when I got rid of them.

Windshield washer fluid. Drain out that zero degree fluid. Fill with "de-icer" fluid. Two brands I use are Prestone, and Rain-X. I have had some -20° blue fluid turn to slush, which does not spray out of the nozzles well.

Wipers. The Xterra is my g/f's, and she just has the stock ones on there. On my Explorer and Paseo, I use Anco winter wipers. Got tired of standard wipers getting frozen with ice, rendering them useless, so you must stop and break the buildup off, just for it to happen again. I buy new ones yearly, usually from Rockauto. Not sure on how a 24" winter blade would be on an Xterra though. From my past experience, anything over 18" had too tall of profile, so they would float off the windshield on the highway during use. Never tried the newer "beam" style wipers, due to higher price, and the regular Anco winter blades are fairly cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am going to look into trading it in, but hot sure if it will be economical. If I can find a low mileage one for the same or very close to what mine is worth I may do it. My car only has 38k miles on it, so i would hate to trade it in for something twice that. Even though I have a good deal saved, I would hate to take on a car payment when I will not have a job when I get there. Thanks for the input guys, have some contemplating to do.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Don't move to CO with a 2wd. Even if you can make it to work and back, you will want a 4wd for the mtns. Skiing in winter and offroading, camping, exploring, etc in the summer.

If you don't trade it in before you move, you will change your mind once you get there and trade it in and get hardly anything for it. My 2 cents after four years in CO.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
4WD is great in snow but if you have never really driven in snow/ice do yourself a favor and find an out area that you can let your vehicle kinda lose control so you know what to expect because it is never a good feeling to find out for the first time on the road. Every car I get I test it out this way so I can get a feel for it. I am not saying go crazy to the point you get yourself in trouble but corner and break traction and learn how to correct. Also a RWD going up hill is a recipe for disaster, plus once you start you can't stop or you will never get going again. If you are a good driver you will learn it quick and may even find that you enjoy driving in the snow. Bottom line take it slow and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I barley use my 4wd in the snow unless we have a big snow day but that is rare in Denver for the last few years. But When you move here and you want to meet up with NORAC crew who is a big group of us and go wheelin even snow wheeling you will need 4wd for sure and you will get pennys on the dollar for your rig in Colorado Thats a fact. you will lose more money here than in Texas. We like new people coming to our wonderful best State in the US. Sell your rig There rent a uhaul and go to Boulder Nissan and Blueberry ( joey parent) will hook you up in a new or used Xterra. You might be able to buy mine because im thinking of trading in for a new one soon.

285 Posts
Denver is not a great place to learn how to drive in winter. Alot of the roads and streets are packed with people who haul

I've only had one rear wheel drive vehicle in my life, a 1981 Oldsmobile Delta 88. That was after a small FWD car, a 1981 Mazda GLC. It was like night and day difference. The Mazda was great in snow, and was easy to control. The Olds was pretty much putt around, and cross your fingers. I remember the first snow I drove in. Putted from the house, putted down a hill in town, braked way early for a stop sign, started sliding sideways, slid sideways through intersection...

With 38K miles, how much tread is left on your tires?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts