Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I'm an avid bowhunter and I'm looking to mount a Bowkaddy bow rack to the ceiling of my 2012 Xterra. Before I install, I'm hoping someone can help me with tips on where to attach the bow rack and what precautions I need to take. Using the pic below - should I attach the bow rack to the crossbeam (red arrow) or to the metal plate between the crossbeams (blue arrow)? Should I not install anything to the ceiling at all?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The metal plate where the blue arrow is pointing is the roof.....not sure I'd wanna drill that just for that rack.
You're saying there's no subpate? So drilling where the blue arrow is would pierce through the top of the roof? Do you think I can drill where the red arrow is pointing (crossbeam)?

·
on line
3,453 Posts
You're saying there's no subpate? So drilling where the blue arrow is would pierce through the top of the roof? Do you think I can drill where the red arrow is pointing (crossbeam)?
Exactly.

And for the 2nd question....I'd hate to take a chance and the drill ends up escaping and piercing through the roof. It can happen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would get a piece of sheet metal,

sheet metal screw it to two cross beams (carefully)

then mount to said sheet metal.
That sounds like a great idea. Do you think the head liner will still fit back into place if I add the sheet metal though?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You should be able to drill where the red arrow is as it's a crossbeam. Just make sure that you can see where the back of the screw/bolt will come out. Good luck and let us know the results.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Why not get a piece of sheet metal width wise of the car and attach it using the roof hook mounting points?

That way, you can drill whatever/wherever holes you want on the sheet metal and not damaging your actual roof to mount your bow rack.

OR another option is to build a Lobo rack and somehow mount your bow underneath the Lobo rack. That way you can use the Lobo rack to store your bows and the buffalo head you've just hunted :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Never heard of the bowkaddy, but after a quick search, I want it. I made myself a nice padded shelf in the cargo area and slide my bow underneath it. It's basically a built in, padded case. I can stack anything on top of it, like climber and coolers. Good luck with your bowkaddy. I'd take a look at some of the threads for onboard air setups. Some of those guys ripped out 3/4 of the interior, so you can see some decent shots of the side pillars and brackets. Could be a better location for installation.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I would just make sure its secured as well as possible...I hate to have that thing flying toward the driver during an accident.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
That sounds like a great idea. Do you think the head liner will still fit back into place if I add the sheet metal though?
It might before you mount anything to the sheet metal, but then you will have to drill through the headliner.

Or use the existing holes from the roof hooks toward the hatch. Its not flat so some creativity will be needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why not get a piece of sheet metal width wise of the car and attach it using the roof hook mounting points?

That way, you can drill whatever/wherever holes you want on the sheet metal and not damaging your actual roof to mount your bow rack.:iconbiggrin:
I'm a little nervous that adding sheet metal behind the liner would prevent the liner from fitting back to the ceiling properly. Do you have an example of someone doing this by any chance (either photos or threads?)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I'm a little nervous that adding sheet metal behind the liner would prevent the liner from fitting back to the ceiling properly. Do you have an example of someone doing this by any chance (either photos or threads?)
No no.. I meant adding sheet metal and attaching it using the ceiling utility hooks mounting points. You don't need to take off the headliner.

Refer to this thread for the mounting hooks and lobo rack I'm talking about. http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36944&highlight=lobo+rack

Maybe make a custom foam bow storage slot and put it inside the lobo rack?

Check out the link for ideas of storage if you don't already know about the lobo rack.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Based on pics I can't really tell how the bowkaddy mounts, however what if you were to fabricate (or pay to have one made) an adapter and mount it to the ceiling hooks in the cargo area?

Edit: or even just use some kind of a clamp as an adapter. But like I said I can't tell how the thing mounts in the first place

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Based on pics I can't really tell how the bowkaddy mounts, however what if you were to fabricate (or pay to have one made) an adapter and mount it to the ceiling hooks in the cargo area?

Edit: or even just use some kind of a clamp as an adapter. But like I said I can't tell how the thing mounts in the first place
From googling pics, it looks to me like a V-shaped metal piece that holds the arm of the bows. It's mounting point is where the V-shaped is.

Looks simple just to mount a flat piece of metal from ceiling hooks width wise and screw the bowkaddy onto it and you're done! Amirite?? :D

Here it is on a Chevy using ceiling mounting hoooks:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate everyone's help, but unfortunately the Bowkaddy arrived in the mail today and I realized my split-limb bow won't fit in it well enough to stay mounted. I had to return it.

That said, I like some of the DIY options you guys came up with, so I'll probably try one of them. Specifically, I like the idea of using the factory hooks to design my own bracket which can be removed when I'm not using it. I'll be drawing up some design ideas tonight and hopefully go shopping for materials on Friday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts