Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really want off road lights, just dont know where to mount them. I have no brush/grill guard and doubt i'll get one b/c i actually take my x off the pavement. I have the stock bumper and roof rack. I was thinking after seeing lights mounted in front of the grill not on any bumper or nothing (on suvs and trucks in general) if anybody had any experience with this or should a fabricate my own light bar.
thanks for your help

·
on line
1,618 Posts
I'm in the same spot. I am working on a way to mount them.
Check this out
I just finished my sliders and am starting to think maybe I don't need another project right now. Aw, screw it. I'll let you guys know what happens.

I pulled the grill off and decided to run a piece of square tubing across three mounts that go to the bumper, like in this picture, I stole from the grill from Dpatton. The mounts are at the same level, and would require drilling one hole in the center, putting a bolt through there, and then replacing the two Nissan pop out fasteners (those things are neat!!) with bolts to hold the ends down. Click the picture for detail.

Then I'll cut into the lip of the bumper to run a tab out that goes on with the angle of the existing grill and then up. Crude I know.

Since I don't have a brake to bend metal, I would either have to bend it in my bench vise after I heat it(doubt I can make it clean with the thickness of metal I'll be using). So I think I'll just cut the pieces out of cardboard, transfer it to metal, and weld at the bevels I need.

Hope that makes sense. Any ideas???

·
on line
610 Posts
Norshor, my idea is if you can make up some nice brackets I would pay you for a set, and I'm bettin you could probably sell several of them here on the site. PIAA makes something similiar for the Mini Cooper.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
aldo said:
Norshor, my idea is if you can make up some nice brackets I would pay you for a set, and I'm bettin you could probably sell several of them here on the site. PIAA makes something similiar for the Mini Cooper.
I dunno if I'd wanna sell them, and I'm not sure if I can even get it to work. The next day I'll have time to be in my garage, is Monday. I worked up a new idea last night and think I'll mockup with some ProComp 100watt lights I've got in my garage and have no use for.

Think I'm gonna get these. linky

100W, 8", adjustable, anyone have experience with these?

·
on line
1,618 Posts
I think this can work. I'm just trying to decide if I'm going to buy Solteks from Baja Designs, ProComp 7" ABS 100 watt from 4wheel Parts or Hella 500's at Advanced Auto. Any preferences? There's a big price difference between them, and I know you get performance, I just have to weigh the options to cost.
1" square and 1/4" stock for the tabs.

Have to trim where the lines are so I can weld the tabs to the square. I know It's not even, I don't have the lights so this is just a rough mockup to see what everyone thinks. 1/4" bolts will go through the square to hold it all down.

Have to bend the tabs to fit between the grill and the bumper.

Cheap garage beer and my fourwheeler to show how this fits in relation to the grill.

I don't know how far these tabs will stick out, because I don't have my lights. And cheap garage beer.

·
on line
641 Posts
norshor said:
1" square and 1/4" stock for the tabs. Have to trim where the lines are so I can weld the tabs to the square. 1/4" bolts will go through the square to hold it all down. Have to bend the tabs to fit between the grill and the bumper.
1)
Once you get the layout figured out, you could heat up the inboard ends of those 'tabs', and then press them against the bumper's plastic, to 'cut' through the plastic, without having to cut down from the top.
2)
If you drill a couple of holes in the square stock, through the area where it intersects the tabs, you can then use two bolts per end (plus maybe one in the middle) to hold the square stock to the factory bumper support, and those bolts at the ends would also hold the tabs, so they wouldn't need to be welded to the square stock. That makes it easier to fabricate, and also makes it easy to replace the tabs with a different design at a later date.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
dpatton said:
norshor said:
1" square and 1/4" stock for the tabs. Have to trim where the lines are so I can weld the tabs to the square. 1/4" bolts will go through the square to hold it all down. Have to bend the tabs to fit between the grill and the bumper.
1)
Once you get the layout figured out, you could heat up the inboard ends of those 'tabs', and then press them against the bumper's plastic, to 'cut' through the plastic, without having to cut down from the top.
2)
If you drill a couple of holes in the square stock, through the area where it intersects the tabs, you can then use two bolts per end (plus maybe one in the middle) to hold the square stock to the factory bumper support, and those bolts at the ends would also hold the tabs, so they wouldn't need to be welded to the square stock. That makes it easier to fabricate, and also makes it easy to replace the tabs with a different design at a later date.
Great idea about heating the tabs to push through plastic. I was going to cut the plastic out so I could take the whole assembly off, lights and all, but that would work too. I'll have to see what happens.

I think I'll weld it. Would work either way, I just want to eliminate two more points that could loosen up from bumps and vibrations. To me, it's just easier to weld than mess with the drill and bolting and lining everything up. If someone didn't have a welder, or didn't want to, that would be a fine option.

Thanks for your input, keep it coming!

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Well my lights finally showed up, so I had a point of reference as where to put the tabs. A few of hours of grinding, welding, pounding and some trial and error, means it's three in the morning, and the paint is still drying. I'd post pics, but I'm too tired.
I went with the same lights Syndicate has, only they are Halogen, not HID, and they cost $80 each, not $480. I unfortunately don't know anyone at the company. Wish I did.
These things are huge!
I ended up putting the square stock under the bumper attachments, welded on spacers and welded the tabs to the top. That made it impossible to heat up the tabs and push them through, Oldnavy, I thought about it even before I found out it wouldn't work, and realized I was safer with my moto-tool than hot metal.
Anyway, I'm gonna try to finish it up tomorrow. It looks like it's gonna work. Gotta be at work in 5 hours. :compress:

·
on line
1,618 Posts

And now I have to hook them up. I have very limited wiring knowledge, and I've searched so if someone could hit me with a link that would be great. I've got a 3 pin switch, and a 5 pin relay, and want to hook it up to the ignition, so the keys turn them off. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Here are some links to get you started:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1444&highlight=wire+gauge
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1933&highlight=relay+lights
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1390&highlight=relay+lights

The first two links have good pictures and instructions for getting power into the driver's side kick panel. The third link will help with the relay. MC's how-to will also explain how to wire them to a switched source, like you wanted. It's really not that hard when you have excellent instructors like these guys to guide you. Also, get yourself a nice switch like these: http://www.4x4mods.com/Product/Jeep/Rockerswitches/rockerswitch40.html .

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Yeller_X said:
Looks pretty damn sweet. Not too bad for cheap garage beer and an idea.
Never underestimate the power of cheap garage beer. Funny thing is, the night I fabbed these up, there were only 2 beers in the shop fridge. One to get me started, and one to finish.
Right now this thing is completely bolt on. I didn't post any pics of the install, cause it took like five minutes. I think that I will put some carriage bolts through the tabs and bumper, just to stabilize the light since they are so big. they will not be visible.
That would make the install about fifteen minutes. Only gonna add the bolts if they bounce. Won't know that 'til I have them working.
Gonna wire them up Sunday.

·
on line
612 Posts
Only two cheap garage beers? Hmmm.... must not be too hot up there. Looks great let us know how it goes with that whole shakedown run thinga ma jig

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Yeller_X said:
Only two cheap garage beers? Hmmm.... must not be too hot up there. Looks great let us know how it goes with that whole shakedown run thinga ma jig
Not too hot here. It snowed a week ago. Not that that, keeps me from enjoying a beer or two, I was just running low.

So I finally got my lights working, and took it for a ride. On the a bumpy paved road the lights were fine, but when I blasted down my unpaved and rutted driveway, and into the woods in my backyard, I was not happy with the bouncing.
Gotta pull the mount off again, and box in the tabs. The reinforcement will go from where the bottom of the grill ends, to the end of the tab. I may have to put a brace between the lights in front of the bumper.

That will have to wait. Gotta check out an OHV area that I haven't seen yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts