Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this plug and play unit, http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/ser...0&catParentID=7875&scId=7875&oldParentID=7870, and to me the only good way to mount it with the supplied bracket it to the vent. The problem with that is the unit is very unstable and slides around in the vent. Also, when you depress a preset button, it feels as if the mount or vent will break. Does any one have any experience with this company, http://www.proclipusa.com , and have any feedback or am I stuck fabbing my own mount?

·
on line
615 Posts
I went to local audio shop and told them what I needed and that I couldn't suffice with the suction-cup because I offroaded the truck and I didn't want it to fall. I gave them the unit and they fabricated a bracket from some universal ones they had laying around. ~$20 for the bracket.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
I have mine mounted to the vent with the bracket. I have the Stiletto which is more top heavy. It does move around a bit, but it is stable and has never fallen off. I bought the FM kit so that it is wired right into the head unit via the FM antenna. No static at all. I had trouble finding a station the at didn't have static when just going the FM modulator type route. While I had the dash apart I pulled the power cable into the dash and then ran it down to the power outlets. It is nice and tidy. My antenna is on the back. I ran the cable through the grommet for the rear wiper, then just tucked the cable under the headliner eadge all along the driver side, down the pillar of the windshiled and into the dash. It then comes out right below the vent where the unit is mounted. The only wire I can see is the 4" of wire from the dash to the unit base attached to the vent. I love it, never listen to regular radio anymore!!

·
on line
628 Posts
Prior to installing my JVC headunit I used the desktop mounting bracket attached to a piece of wood painted black.

If I can find it I'll take a close up pic and post it for you, Maybe you could come up with something similar to that if it suits your needs,

·
on line
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is one clean install. I might just do that. Thanks for the idea.

·
on line
155 Posts
I just installed the Starmate 4 in my girlfriend's suv. I have sirius through my kenwood deck. If I were you I would install the antenna in the back. I have mine between the winshield and the air dam (car toys installed it since it was not a plug & play). So my reception sucks... I think it's because the roof rack interferes with the signal. My girlfriends Starmate gets way better reception. I also used the direct fm connection. Way Better!! By the way i used the vent mounts and if you play with the settings you can get it to be fairly solid. If it were me since I 4wheel I would take the vent out and use the clips and also drill some small holes and create a rock solid solution. Welcome to sirius!

·
on line
37 Posts
Thought i would post my setup here. I have sirius mounted on an L shaped bracket that is attached to an adhesive mount that i picked up from the same place i found my ipod mount for my xterra. I got it from these guys

http://www.bracketron.com/xmain/index.php

i also bought the bracketron mvm. Thats what holds my sirius.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts