Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
I picked up a Hella FF75 Driving Light Kit from Summit for about $80. I liked the Low Profile of the FF75 and thought that they really wouldn't stick above the top of Rack. I also picked up some Horizontal Mighty Mounts, (29H... I think). According the Yakima Catalog, they're only supposed to work for the First Gens. However, I was able to grind down the Spacer Tab between the Clamps of each Bracket and they fit nice and tight.

What you also see in the picture above are some Brackets that I cut out of 1/8 inch Aluminum. The dimensions were 1-3/16 x 5". I drilled a hole for the bolt on the Might Mounts and another hole of the same size as the hole in the Light Bracket. I also sanded and painted the Aluminum Brackets.

I decided to run both the of the Positive Wires for the Lights down the Passenger-side of the Rig. I took apart the Rear Roof Crossbar, (I had to slide it back from the Factory Position anyway), and drilled holes in the underside of the hollow Crossbar, so that I could run the Positive Wire from the Drivers-side Light over to the Passenger-Side and have a slightly cleaner look. I put some Silicone around the Wire leading into the holes.

I grounded each of the Lights to the Rear Hatch Shock Bracket.

There is a small recess in the Rear Roof Line leading to the Rear Hatch the seems to coincide with the Factory Roof Rack Channels. There is just enough room to run Wiring down there, and Wires won't be pinched when you open the Hatch. You may be able to see the screw holding the Harness against the Base of the Roof Crossbar. I picked up some 1/4 inch Plastic Wiring Clamps and secured them with Sheet Metal Screws. I also used these when running the Wiring Harness down into the Bumper. All of the Plastic Clamps I could find at the stores were White Nylon, so I took a piece of Sandpaper to them and sprayed them Black.

I ran the Positive Wires down the Passenger-side. If you run it just to the right of where the Hatch Shock lays down, it won't interfere with the Hatch at all. I used a Die Grinder to grind a small notch in the top of the Plastic Tail Light Assembly and ran the Harness down into the Assembly and then down behind the Bumper.

After you run your Harness over the Rear Axle there is a large Wiring Harness the runs the length of the Frame Rail and up to the Engine Compartment that you can Zip-tie to.

Finished Product:

I ended up using about another 15 feet of Wire than what comes with the Kit, as well as some various Connectors. This Kit did not come with a Fuse, so I picked up one of those just to be safe.

Here's a night shot. I still need to adjust the lights, as they are aimed WAY too low.

Anyway... If someone is interested in trying this, I've still got two Might Mounts left over. PM me if interested.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Great write up and looks great. Did you wire them into the backup lights or are they on a seperate switch (or both)? Where did you mount the relay? In the back or up front?

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Muzikman said:
Great write up and looks great. Did you wire them into the backup lights or are they on a seperate switch (or both)? Where did you mount the relay? In the back or up front?
Good questions. I mounted the relay in the engine bay, up high against the firewall (just above the fuse box) on the passenger side. I left a little bit of space to mount a second relay for my front light kit (once my Shrock front bumper comes in).

They are wired on a separate switch.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I like the seperate switch. That way you don't blind folks around town whenever you back up, and you can turn them on to light up the tail gate party...Nice work.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
nice job, looks great

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Ground wires for rear lights

Did you run the ground from the right rear over to the left side and ground both on the left side, or did you ground them individually? I like the idea of extra light for backing up. These are driving lights, right? Could they be mounted the same way on front bar w/ mighty mounts and clear the front storage bin? I also want some roof mounted lights, but afraid that they won't clear my garage door, but these low-pro lights will probably do the trick. Have you got your front ones yet? How did you mount them and where did you wire them? Looking for an easier way than drilling a hole in the roof and running wires down through the dome light.

·
on line
65 Posts
could you post some picts of how you have your hi-lift mounted? thanks.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Ground wires for rear lights

buxwheat said:
Did you run the ground from the right rear over to the left side and ground both on the left side, or did you ground them individually? I like the idea of extra light for backing up. These are driving lights, right? Could they be mounted the same way on front bar w/ mighty mounts and clear the front storage bin? I also want some roof mounted lights, but afraid that they won't clear my garage door, but these low-pro lights will probably do the trick. Have you got your front ones yet? How did you mount them and where did you wire them? Looking for an easier way than drilling a hole in the roof and running wires down through the dome light.
I grounded each light individually, to it's respective hatch bracket. They are driving lights, not fog. Fog lights would probably do a better job of throwing out light to the side of vehicle, but these driving lights have worked well for me so far. I have Hella 500's on the front, but they are mounted to my Shrock bumper (went the easy route with those...).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yep, that's they way I had my hi-lift mounted for a long time (now it's on the rear bumper). Worked like a champ. Was quick and easy to get down and didn't have to worry about it becoming a projectile if I was in an acident.

I still have my X-Tower mounts. I don't think I will be using them so if anyone wants them, PM me.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
muzikman said:
Yep, that's they way I had my hi-lift mounted for a long time (now it's on the rear bumper). Worked like a champ. Was quick and easy to get down and didn't have to worry about it becoming a projectile if I was in an acident.

I still have my X-Tower mounts. I don't think I will be using them so if anyone wants them, PM me.
Credit where credit is due, I think I stole the X-tower idea from muzikman.

·
TNX Administrator
20,493 Posts
This 'How-to' was written during TNX's 1st year in operation... All (08) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

Reactions: eighty
1 - 20 of 20 Posts