Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering mounting a 3 gallon rotopax on the bulge of the tailgate. Has anyone done this. Wondering about mounting strength and strut power.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Here's a relevant thread:

If you do it right, could probably work ok. I prefer mounting the fuel cans to the roof rack.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh ya good point, here's the etsy listing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ya good point, here's the etsy listing
Ouch. Im sure its a great product and I like the idea but its out of my budget. Thanks though, I do dig it

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Side mounting Sherpa:
$425 in raw aluminum, powder coating available. That's the 3/16 "deluxe looking" thick aluminum.

For about half that, I have several 1/8 thick panels, thinner, but it only matters if you already saw the 3/16 inch version, both work.
These 1/8 inch thick panels are "prototypes", they have an extra hole or 2, and the outside contour of the main panel may be different, L panel an inch longer.
They are painted, but need new paint due to the on/off mounting. Re painting would be up to you.

Driver side and passenger side.
All have Rotopax (square) holes.

3/16 is in the first 2 pictures here:

This picture shows the Rotopax 4 square hole pattern, left in use, right unused.

·
Registered
2015 Pro 4X
98 Posts
I fabricated a removable mounting system to hold (2) 2 gallon rotopax rigs. With an extension you can double the storage. Bolts on to the Heps Design roof rack. Also built one for treads recovery boards. Used them dozens of times wheeling in the mojave desert.

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
173 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Xterra S
131 Posts
I fabricated a removable mounting system to hold (2) 2 gallon rotopax rigs. With an extension you can double the storage. Bolts on to the Heps Design roof rack. Also built one for treads recovery boards. Used them dozens of times wheeling in the mojave desert.
That looks great! Are they difficult to access when they swell from changes in temp or altitude?

·
Registered
2015 Pro 4X
98 Posts
That looks great! Are they difficult to access when they swell from changes in temp or altitude?
Not at all. And I go to extreme temp changes places... I just vent at least once a day when in use. Because my X is a daily driver, I only use when adventuring. Takes me literally 5 minutes to install/remove.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts