Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 off road is out of commission. Catalytic converter failed causing engine failure. To make a long story short I need a new motor and cats.
Hears where is get tricky the truck has 123,000 miles with new rear axle seals. The X is paid for. I don't want to take 25K plus loan out to get a new X. I realize it will be over 7K to get it running again. I can pay off 7K faster then 20K.
The value of the X is about 10K so I am not upside down on this idea.
I do not plan on selling the X after it's rebuilt any time soon, I have always planned on keeping X and buying another car.

Is it crazy to be thinking this way?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I literally just went thru this... I got a re-manufactured engine from ATK/Vedge Engines- $3,410.00 with $410 core charge refunded (comes w/ 3 year unlimited miles warranty) New cats - $800 -/+, and $1,800 to get installed. So total was about $6500-ish

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Mine didn't throw any codes. Both front cats failed and caused massive failure and there engine went into limp mode. The weird part was that I never got any lights or anything...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Codes where came on during a back country Mtn bike trip. By the time I limped it home it was too late.
Re manufactured motor, that sounds like the ticket. Did you install the motor yourself? Or was that done by your mechanic? I don"t have the tools or knowledge to do it myself.

·
Registered
575 Posts
tough call - probably be OK if feel tranny is in good shape and no history of electrical problems or gremlins. In end, think I would decide to buy different X.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No there was check engine light that something was wrong and to bring it in. But I was too far out to get it back without damage.

The tranny in good shape, and no real gremlins to speak of. Been a sound truck up till now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can go the route of remanufactured or you can search car-part.com and see if any local yards have a used engine for cheaper. Make sure you search around because a lot of yards will overcharge and if the price comes anywhere near the remanufactured engine, that's the route you'd rather take (obviously). The install cost is going to be high so if you could do it yourself you'd save a lot of cash but if you can't make sure you find a trusted shop to do the install.

·
on line
951 Posts
Engine swaps are not that difficult mentally, but physically they can be a b1tch. Engines are heavy so you need a hoist, but tool wise it's not very complicated. 2 motor mounts, 6 bolts to the transmission, coolant lines and a ton of electrical. Make sure the shop you use has a good history and don't be afraid to ask for references. The mechanics might look at you like you have 3 heads but word of mouth is great advertising. Also check out the shop on yelp and complaints.com to see if anything has had a bad experience. Good luck, personally I'd do the swap myself, but I have the knowledge, tools and experience. If you were not on the other side of the country I'd help you with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Someone please enlighten me. How can a bad cat cause engine failure? Im just a little nervous now because i have had a intermittent p0430 code for a while now. Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update, my mechanic going to install the new motor and cats. I have been taking my truck to them for years. They do great work and honest. Funny thing it was actually cheaper to have it done by the dealership. I know the parts manger and he was going to give me parts and motor 10% above cost. Only problem was they are going to replace old parts on the new motor. Since I am going this far and paying a large sum on money I want everything done right. I will have a new rig by the time this is all done.
O'yeah I am having them install a new clutch since everything is out. I am still running the original clutch. Got a 123,000 out of it, not bad. I think I might have the record for that. :rockin:

Thanks for offering to help Xdrivingogre

·
on line
2,044 Posts
your truck running rich due to air/fuel mixture will kill your cats..... and cause this issue.
simple trick to know if your running rich is to go up a small incline and listen for the little rattle snake...... or your mpg sucks...
I am at 216,000 with my oem cats....... I inspected them at 100k.... looked great. now I am thinking to inspect them again just in case.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
your truck running rich due to air/fuel mixture will kill your cats..... and cause this issue.
simple trick to know if your running rich is to go up a small incline and listen for the little rattle snake...... or your mpg sucks...
I am at 216,000 with my oem cats....... I inspected them at 100k.... looked great. now I am thinking to inspect them again just in case.
What are you looking for on cat inspection? When you say mpg sucks I'm thinking you mean more than normal so what the range you're talking about?

·
on line
2,871 Posts
yes, how to inspect? jsut bang on them with a mallet?

also, would proactively replacing the oem's with aftermarket be a way to avoid this or would any branded cat cause this issue?

seems that it should be hard for the motor to suck up stuff into the cat. seems like a design defect to me.........oh the surprise (radiator issues, timing chain etc).

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
yes, how to inspect? jsut bang on them with a mallet?

also, would proactively replacing the oem's with aftermarket be a way to avoid this or would any branded cat cause this issue?

seems that it should be hard for the motor to suck up stuff into the cat. seems like a design defect to me.........oh the surprise (radiator issues, timing chain etc).
I have to wonder what causes some to have these problems and others not to. I'm at 111k and just did the bypass a thousand miles ago with no cross contamination, no timing chain problems, but i couldn't escape the dreaded flat rear leaf packs.

·
on line
951 Posts
O'yeah I am having them install a new clutch since everything is out. I am still running the original clutch. Got a 123,000 out of it, not bad. I think I might have the record for that. :rockin:

Thanks for offering to help Xdrivingogre
Gotcha beat 177k so far lol

·
on line
612 Posts
Pfft... Got 193k out of my OEM clutch and was told I could've have probably gotten another 10k out of them.

I'm really curious how cats just suddenly both die and kill an engine without first throwing codes. Even once codes come up you usually have time before things are completely dead.

Mobile Post...

·
on line
2,044 Posts
when I had doubts about my cats being clogged.... I went to my local muffler shop and just had them inspect the flow from the exhaust.... it might sound dumb but the shop guy placed his hand by the exhaust at idle to feel the flow then had me give it some gas... said its normal..... no rotten egg smell..
bad mpg is from running rich..... running rich destroys the cats.
when I first inspected them visually at 100k was when I removed the exhaust manifolds to apply the hi tech coatings on them and looked inside the cats.... they looked brand new with no clogging or dark color on the honey comb holes....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts