Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the motor oil of choice here is Amsoil. But, I am a little paranoid about changing the oil every 15K. I am thinking about going with Mobil 1 extended. It guarantees up to 15K. I can live with changing the oil every 7.5K - 10K. Have you guys tried Mobil 1 extended? How often do you change your oil?

·
on line
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, how often do you change your oil?

I am using Mobil Clean 5000 right now and change the oil every 4K - 4.5K. But, at that rate, I have to change the oil every couple of months. I would like to safely extend the interval.

·
on line
628 Posts
I am running Mobil 1 Extended Performance at 7500 miles between changes. I choose to run it at that interval due to the amount of mileage I put on it (My X will be 1 year old in 2 days, and I have put 27,236 miles on it already). I would never run it for the 15,000 miles it claims. The used oil has come out fairly clean at the oil changes, so their claim may have some truth to it.

·
on line
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
USArmyX said:
I am running Mobil 1 Extended Performance at 7500 miles between changes.
Thanks man. That's what I wanted to hear. That would give me a longer interval.

Xterra4life - I think the manual says every 3750. But, I think that's with conventional oil.

·
on line
1,081 Posts
I've been running good ole Mobil 1 full synthetic in all of my vehicles since I had a driver's license. M last X, an '03, had 104,000 miles on it when I traded it in for the '08. My oil change interval is 7000 miles. No problems to report, ever... In fact the engine in my '83 Landcruiser was still going strong at ~214K miles on Mobil 1 when I rolled it off the side of the highway in the snow a few years ago.

·
on line
1,054 Posts
I went ahead and put Amsoil in when I broke 4k miles, i'm at 15k now and to be honest, I don't feel comfortable putting anymore mileage on my X with Amsoil, they claim to be good for 15k but it's the peace of mind that I'm after and to be honest, I'm already nervous with it with this many miles.

·
on line
139 Posts
There are 3 different maintenance schedules for the X listed in the maintenance manual. 2 are every 3750 and 1 is 7500. I've gone with 7500 so far, since most of my miles are highway.

D-Rock

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I've got over 9000 miles on my X and I put Mobile in in at 2200 mikes, with K&N HP1010 filter, Fumoto valve, changed at 7500 (per manual and I will again at 15000 miles--

--I don't drive my X around town !!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i use amsoil...i too don't feel too comfortable going 15k (though they do guarantee it), i did my last change at 12-13k. unfortunately i forgot to write down the mileage of my last change, so.....i'll prob do another in a month or two just to be on the safe side.

·
on line
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TXterra37 said:
I used Mobil 1 Extended Life before AMSOIL, changed it about every 5k-6k miles.
Why did you switch? Are you going longer interval now with Amsoil, or the same interval just different oil?

·
Read Only
656 Posts
I changed to Mobil 1 at 12500. At 18K, I went with Royal Purple. I plan on running this for 5K then change my oil filter only and topping up. After another 5K, I will do a full oil and filter change. As I understand it, synthetics don't break down with heat/time like dino stuff does, but its lubricating capability is only limited by dirt and other contaminants. With a clean oil filter and an fresh quart of oil, everything should be optimized for another 5K. I've got the K&N drop in air filter, so that should really keep airborne contaminates minimized. The guys in the Saab Club around here told me about this routine. They had been doing it this way for years with no problems.

·
on line
500 Posts
buxwheat said:
I changed to Mobil 1 at 12500. At 18K, I went with Royal Purple. I plan on running this for 5K then change my oil filter only and topping up. After another 5K, I will do a full oil and filter change. As I understand it, synthetics don't break down with heat/time like dino stuff does, but its lubricating capability is only limited by dirt and other contaminants. With a clean oil filter and an fresh quart of oil, everything should be optimized for another 5K. I've got the K&N drop in air filter, so that should really keep airborne contaminates minimized. The guys in the Saab Club around here told me about this routine. They had been doing it this way for years with no problems.
Great advice that I learned using Amsoil 25 years ago. Remember that the filter can't remove the caustic combustion by-products, so it's recommended that no matter what your milage you change the oil at least once a year, or even better twice a year. That being said, I've gone 2 years between changes and nothing blew up.

Patrick

1 - 20 of 27 Posts