Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a broken motor mount on a 2nd gen X yet? I searched this forum, and maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see anything. When I got my truck aligned today, I was told that the left motor mount is broken and the right one is most likely bad as well.

Seeing how this should be a warranty item, I'll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Thats really weird? I wonder the cause of it...

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to the dealer today. They said that both motor mounts and the tranny mount are bad. It is a 2006 XOR 4x4 (auto) with 42,000 miles. I haven't done any really hardcore offroading with the truck, so I don't know why all three mounts would go bad - unless the were defective from the start.

The dealer had to order the parts, so I'm not going to wheel this weekend. Should be fixed by Wed. or Thurs. next week.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
1st I've heard of it on a Gen2 Ted.. As most Gen1 owners know, it was a fairly common occurance on most wheeled X'. Hope you get it taken care of no problemo..

·
on line
750 Posts
Usually, big jarring bumps/jumps do in motor mounts early. Also if the motor is inherently out of balance it can set up destructive vibrations...but this is virtually unheard of in modern engines and the engine usually does itself in first. Either way, it would be quite noticable..ie vibrations, shuddering.

·
on line
443 Posts
glad my warranty was just transfered over to me and I have 10k left to get everything looked at and fixed.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A buddy of mine who used to be into drag racing told me to wrap chains around the area where the motor mounts are. He said to have the chain snug, but not tight. That way the engine can still move, but the mounts shouldn't break anymore. This seems logical to me, and chain would be cheap insurance against a broken motor mount. After I get my truck fixed, I'm doing the "chain mod" for the motor mounts!!!

·
on line
3,050 Posts
AZ-Ted said:
A buddy of mine who used to be into drag racing told me to wrap chains around the area where the motor mounts are. He said to have the chain snug, but not tight. That way the engine can still move, but the mounts shouldn't break anymore. This seems logical to me, and chain would be cheap insurance against a broken motor mount. After I get my truck fixed, I'm doing the "chain mod" for the motor mounts!!!
post some pics whenits done

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Honestly, I would be shocked if you got enough flex out of the motor to need the chains. They are used in the high torque engines that twist in the mounts when you punch it.

They couldn't hurt I guess, but I doubt that they will help.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Muzikman said:
Honestly, I would be shocked if you got enough flex out of the motor to need the chains. They are used in the high torque engines that twist in the mounts when you punch it.

They couldn't hurt I guess, but I doubt that they will help.
I agree that the engine wouldn't dramatically flex from revving. Assuming the mounts broke from offroading, wouldn't the chains theoretically help to prevent this?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Probably not as you would have to dual link the chains so that the engine can not flex in any direction. Running a chain from the engine to the frame would only help in one direction. If the problem occurred while wheeling you could have force applied in many different directions, in which case, your chain would not help.

Also, I doubt you will ever have the problem again, there are people on here that wheel a lot and beat the crap out of their X, and you are the first I know of to have a bad motor mount. I would chalk it up to faulty part. You would spend more work trying to chain down your engine than you would to just replace the motor mount if it should go bad again.

·
on line
230 Posts
Definitely not good news, I hope its a fluke. Since the 1 Gen had a serious problem with this, its not a stretch to think the new mounts could be under engineered as well. I witnessed them fail on a Gen 1 rig right in front of me. The front clip self destructs on the Gen 1 as well...and I have noticed the front radiator support just as paper thin......

Wow....lets all hope its a fluke.....

·
on line
254 Posts
Been a long time but the most common cause of failure I used to see was heat and age causing deterioration of mounts. Considering where you live that may be a factor. I would take a look at the ones that come out and see if they are hard and brittle compared to the new ones.

That is assuming your talking rubber mounts and not the welds or brackets, I haven’t even looked at mine for all I know they could be the poly type.

When we used to jam a V-8 in where a straight 6 like a 2F previously existed always had to be careful about shielding heat from the exhaust manifold. That AZ heat can get a bit toasty from what I remember, just an idea.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts