Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the most anyone’s seen from an XTerra/Fronty/Pathfinder on the dyno with only bolt-on mods (no turbos)?
I just ordered some DT shorties so I’m damn near having all the bolt-ons except for an IMS and I’m wondering what a realistic hp expectation is.
If anyone can recall the highest hp they’ve seen from any VQ40 (and how they got it) that’d be cool!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Last dyno run I saw for a stock 4.0 Frontier was just over 212 whp and if my memory serves me correctly, the torque was nearly the same.

Four Wheeler magazine did an article on replacing a 05 Frontiers exhaust with a set of JBA headers and a full exhaust.

Basically, they gained 15 ft/lbs of torque and 12 hp over stock.

To match their numbers, it would cost you:
$350-400 for the headers
$400 for the cat back exhaust
$300 for a cold air intake
Basically $1050-$1100 or $90 per hp gained.

This becomes even sadder when a dyno can show 2-5 hp gains by just swapping in a clean air filter.
I've often said the best bang for your buck in our application was a programmer.
It's not the huge hp gains we will notice as much as the elimination of the partial throttle restrictions which we have.

·
Premium Member
9,954 Posts
There was a guy on here that dyno’d when stock, then did about every bolt on performance mod and then re-dyno’d. It was like a 10hp gain iirc. Not worth it at all. Let me see if I can dig up the thread.

·
Forever Noobie & LPM
159 Posts
Highest I've seen in all my searching is:

503hp/468tq

But that dude has a full blown race engine with triple 40mm webber carbs.

I currently have:
Volant Cold Air Intake
XTP Intake Manifold Spacer
Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers
High flow cats
Deleted y-pipe
Magnaflow muffler
UpRev Dyno Tuned

My Dyno Numbers:
241.2 HP
263.4 Torques

Most of these parts don't drastically improve your "Max" numbers. What they do is flatten out your torque curve. In stock form the VQ40 makes peak torque @ 4k rpm. With all these modifications My torque curve is around 240 @2k and peaks at 263.4 @ around 5k rpm greatly increasing drivability and useful torque.

A word of caution: I did all of these modifications, and didn't immediately dyno tune. When I finally got to the dyno the techs said that the X was running very lean. So if your doing more than CAI and a muffler, you should really tune the truck ASAP.

I want to give a hat tip to: 5l33p3r for his write up: How-to: DT Long Tube Headers Installed w/Dyno #'s

·
on line
455 Posts

I currently have:
Volant Cold Air Intake
High flow cats
Deleted y-pipe
Magnaflow muffler
UpRev Dyno Tuned
What high flow cats do you have?
I need to start looking at a new exhaust system now.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Screwing on a coffee can exhaust tip is good for 30hp

Reactions: Brunnie

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Screwing on a coffee can exhaust tip is good for 30hp
i can think of another exhaust tip that has been floating around the web but considering this is a family site i will not post it...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

503hp/468tq Vq40 Nissan race engine

But that dude has a full blown race engine with triple 40mm webber carbs.

I currently have:
Volant Cold Air Intake
High flow cats
Deleted y-pipe
Magnaflow muffler
UpRev Dyno Tuned

My Dyno Numbers:
241.2 HP
263.4 Torques

Most of these parts don't drastically improve your "Max" numbers. What they do is flatten out your torque curve. In stock form the VQ40 makes peak torque @ 4k rpm. With all these modifications My torque curve is around 240 @2k and peaks at 263.4 @ around 5k rpm greatly increasing drivability and useful torque.

A word of caution: I did all of these modifications, and didn't immediately dyno tune. When I finally got to the dyno the techs said that the X was running very lean. So if your doing more than CAI and a muffler, you should really tune the truck ASAP.

I want to give a hat tip to: 5l33p3r for his write up: How-to: DT Long Tube Headers Installed w/Dyno #'s
Super interesting post and I agree.
Well I just see it as a hobby and use it to adjust my torque curve (reason why I ordered shorties). I started cause I bought my XTerra new and didn't care about taking care of it, then got interested when I decided to keep driving it til the wheels fall off. It's already paid for, insurance is dirt-cheap, it goes anywhere I want to, hauls anything I want to, why ever get a new car? Exhaust sounds great too.

Now my mpg is really good and learning how it works/installing stuff has been hella fun. Also found good deals on my bolt-ons so I paid a lot less than most people.
Not interested in deleting my cats unless some scrapyard's offering an assload of money for them (lol). Saw a post from a guy on here saying he took out a pair and noticed no difference whatsoever.
Thanks for the video.

But I've kind of wondered why the pathfinder has a vq35 option and not the X. With a vq35 we could actually mod it and pass 300hp. Oh well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
106 Posts
VQ35 and VQ40 share the same engine block.

Just saying.

Reactions: bluez

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
the vq35 makes more HP but at much higher rpms. the vq 40 makes more torque and at lower rpms than the vq35. the vq 40 makes more sense for the X, and the pathy really, but maybe its a little lighter idk.

I had the vq35 in a 350z and its a great motor, but loves to rev. the vq40 is much better at low end power, which agai makes more sense in the X.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
They don't though.
Vq40 block is very different from vq35 but they do have some similarities.

I used to work at JWT and we got vq40 to build race engines for nissan offroad and prototype stuff like cams and such.
def different than the VQ35hr!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts