Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't installing a shorter compression stop, or not installing the extended compression stop at all greatly improve wheel travel on the front end? This pertains to all diff drop lifts available (Calmini, Pro Comp, Fabtech). If the CV shafts can droop to a certain critical angle, it seems intuitive that they can go the that critical angle in the other (compression) direction as well.
Something like this would certainly make those diff drop lifts much more worth while.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
The compression stops have nothing to do with maintaining correct CV angles. The compression stops are also not as firm as your question implies. They still allow for full travel, assuming they're installed correctly.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take a look at this picture:

It is obvious that if that long blue compression extension was removed there would be alot more up-travel available, assuming the shock is designed for that much travel. The bumpstop on the LCA could also be replaced by the Energy Suspension bumpstop.

·
on line
204 Posts
If you took out the extended bumpstop strike plate you would probably make all of your balljoint angles too extreme.The stock shock would limit uptravel as well, One way to kind-of solve the uptravel problem would be to replace the stock shock with a Radflo etc. The other thing you could do is get some Total Chaos upper control arms, as I'm sure the uniball would up travel than the stock ball joint upper arm, with TC uppers and a better shock you would probably be able to replace that big blue piece of metal with a Energy Suspension poly bumpstop.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2006fronty said:
If you took out the extended bumpstop strike plate you would probably make all of your balljoint angles too extreme.The stock shock would limit uptravel as well, One way to kind-of solve the uptravel problem would be to replace the stock shock with a Radflo etc. The other thing you could do is get some Total Chaos upper control arms, as I'm sure the uniball would up travel than the stock ball joint upper arm, with TC uppers and a better shock you would probably be able to replace that big blue piece of metal with a Energy Suspension poly bumpstop.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Diff drop lift + new (Radflo?) coilover + TC UCA = alot more front wheel travel and the lift actually being worth something. Or better yet, throw the Titan LCA and TC Titan UCA on there with an even longer coilover...

·
on line
204 Posts
yeah you could run Titan arms on the Calmini kit, but it would be kinda pointless, as the center of gravity would be way too high, you COULD do it, but I wouldn't.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
What do you mean "the center of gravity would be way too high?"

Im not doubting you at all I just would like more info on this. for the guy lifeinthesouth... didnt he do the titan swap to his 4x2 and replace the upper and lower controll arms with the titan stuff?? Are you saying his center of gravity is too high?? Am I missing an obvious point here??? It could be because i have had a little too much to drink :drunken: Dont worry guys its not noon here (i am in france so its about 7:00)

·
on line
1,320 Posts
i think he's just referring to the additional lift acheived from the titan arms (they add 1-2"lift because of the added angle/length)... that combined with the bracket lift will get it up there pretty high, however, the increase in track width would help counteract it... it wouldn't be stupid high like the 5" lift combined with the 3" BL.
On a sidenote in response to rs182... this could be done but you still have to have CV shafts made for 4x4!

·
on line
23 Posts
You could adjust the coil overs down a little, but I don't trust the extra levrage of the longer arms on the drop bracket, if you are going to USE it.

·
on line
204 Posts
it's not necessarily the height,but the fact that he would be putting mid-travel on top of a drop down bracket. lifeinthesouth's X is going to have lift spindles instead of a drop down bracket ( spindles make it around 1 inch wider, the wider the more stable) and i'm sure he's not going to crank his coilovers all the way up for maximum lift, he'll probably get most lift from the spindles, and maybe an inch and a half from his coilovers, plus with spindles he will get WAY more ground clearance than a drop down bracket.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2006fronty said:
it's not necessarily the height,but the fact that he would be putting mid-travel on top of a drop down bracket. lifeinthesouth's X is going to have lift spindles instead of a drop down bracket ( spindles make it around 1 inch wider, the wider the more stable) and i'm sure he's not going to crank his coilovers all the way up for maximum lift, he'll probably get most lift from the spindles, and maybe an inch and a half from his coilovers, plus with spindles he will get WAY more ground clearance than a drop down bracket.
Very true. Spindles would be a great alternative to drop brackets in terms of ground clearance, right now 4x4 X's are out of luck without the drop brackets though. Once I get some more cash I will start trying to put together a good, budget, long travel suspension. I still like the idea of a drop bracket + Radflos + TC UCAs, and a SOA in the rear.

·
on line
204 Posts
you should keep a spring under, the spring over isn't as good for travel/performance, here's an idea if you do a spring over i'll trade you for my rear end haha

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After some further research, I've decided that a drop bracket lift just isn't good for much more than fitting larger tires. Since I am looking for a suspension sytem that allows for long travel along with full compression and extension, it seems the only viable option, while retaining the IFS, is the Titan control arms swap. I just don't like the idea of pushing my tires another 3" out from the fenders, my track width is already increased by 1.5" per side due to my 1" spacers and wheel offset.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
rs182 said:
After some further research, I've decided that a drop bracket lift just isn't good for much more than fitting larger tires. Since I am looking for a suspension sytem that allows for long travel along with full compression and extension, it seems the only viable option, while retaining the IFS, is the Titan control arms swap. I just don't like the idea of pushing my tires another 3" out from the fenders, my track width is already increased by 1.5" per side due to my 1" spacers and wheel offset.
you're gonna have to suck it up... the titan arms are mid-travel at best! you'll need all custom fab to get around 16" travel and be legit long travel. And forget track width cuz it'll probably be about 8" wider per side. It can easily be done by a number of places in SoCal but you'll have to drop at least about 8k on it.
The question you have to ask yourself is what are you trying to acheive with your truck/suspension... do you want a capable desert runner, a rock crawler, a mud bogger or just something with that socal/brocal prerunner look?
You're right about the bracket lifts... they typically do nothing for ground clearance or travel.
Good news is Hanneman is working on fenders for the new X right now!

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea I know it. Rock crawling is my true passion so its obvious that a SAS would be the best option. For now, with how new the vehicle is and how much money I don't have, I am trying to make the IFS work as best as possible in terms of articulation. There is NO WAY I'd spend anywhere close to 8K on the IFS! How much travel do the OR Xs have stock? Seems that the TC UCAs and Radflos are the best option thus far.
I've already trimmed my front end to fit 35s so I don't need a huge lift, just more suspension travel!

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2006fronty said:
this is the kind of stuff you could do with the titan swap

I wouldn't want to do any high speed stuff with a drop down bracket, this dudes set up is almost exactly like lifeinthesouth's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD7hlG_6lJY
here's some suspension action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n78aA52JiS4
That high-speed stuff is cool, just not for me. Slow crawling is what I like, it just feels good to look down from a hill or obstacle that your vehicle just made it up. Drop bracket is definitely out though.

·
on line
204 Posts
I noticed that too, maybe if he ups the nitrogen psi in the airbumps they would rebound faster. I'm pretty sure Greg valved them. The air bumps might just have a lot of compression valving and no rebound, or it could just be preference???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.