Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already know im going to get the 265, 76, r 16 size for whatever tires i buy.

I know the forum seems to be split between the bf AT'S , and the MT'S.

I wanted to go with micky thompsons. But after giving it some thought, i think id like to get a tire from a larger national chain store, instead of summit racing. Summit is local for me and has micky t's.

So im looking at the Bridgestone revos at's, 10 ply.

But i see alot of the "wrangler" tires out there.

Does anyone have either of these tires? Any opinions..........they are like assholes, everyone has one.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I love my Mickey Thompsons,but I am switching to procomp AT's. Before you cancel out the Mickey Thompsons, know that from first hand experience they are a great tire...same as cooper discoverer stt...

·
on line
551 Posts
Well depending on which Wrangler you're talking about....
Most (OK all) Wranglers that come stock are crap: RT/S, ST are two that come to mind.
Now the Silent Armours have been getting good reviews at Tire Rack. I believe they are are still in the top 3. We put a set on my daughters boyfriend 3/4 ton Ford, and the only problem he's had was on ice. A sipe job and he hasn't had any complaints since. How they would hold up on the trail, I couldn't say. But I am leaning towards them for my Suburban.

·
on line
238 Posts
Hey mcampana,

If you want a tire that still has some good zippy road manners go for the AT side of life. Considering that, the BFG AT's are probably the best aggressive AT out there. They just cost a bit. If you go with those I'd definitely get the D range not the E range though. We don't have tanks or big haulers to justify E's. I've heard a lot of people like the Revo's though. I don't think they are quite as aggressive for offroad though as the BFG.
I just said screw it and went with the MT's that you know of (Firestone Destination MT). These are pretty aggressive MT's, but people are reporting ~55k miles out of them on similar weighted vehicles. Muds will be softer on the road and have more swag so to speak in quick maneuvers.
Consider what you want to do with the tires, the performance for given usage, cost vs. milage, and of course how you want them to look :tard: .

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Turtle said:
Hey mcampana,

If you go with those I'd definitely get the D range not the E range though. We don't have tanks or big haulers to justify E's. .
I dont quite understand the load D & E thing..my procomp AT's 265/75/16 are an E is that bad?

·
on line
238 Posts
Load ratings go up as the letters do. So, E can hold more weight than D. The catch is that if you don't match up the vehicle weight to the load rating very well you will end up with either a very soft ride or a very harsh ride. E will seem stiff compared to D for our X's. Consider this, our X's came with passenger tires which have a pretty low load rating, so the higher you go in load rating the stiffer ride you get :bounce:

I went with a D rating and it feels pretty good. On my Nissan D21 4x4 pickup I had C and on my Wrangler I had a C. The X weighs about 1000lbs more than either of those, so the next rating up for offroading was appropriate. Yes, the tires get a little stronger as you go up hence the increase in load rating (C, D, E, F).

Hope that helps. I'm sure someone will vote for E on the X, but my personal opinion is that a D matches up very well.

p.s. E load rating will weigh and cost more per tire. So, money is an issue in initial purchase and gas milage (rotational weight) down the road.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the load rating info. Im going to offest the weight of the new tires buy using the alloy wheels i got! Im saving the steel wheels for my daily driving. Go ahead and make fun, but i like my steel wheels that it came with. I bought the alloys to abuse and offset the added weight of a new tire that may weigh more.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Another thought on E rated tires: they're heavier, but also stronger and more dependable, especially in the sidewall. I almost went with them in the Toyo Open Country MT, until I realized how much they weighed (68 lbs.!). The other downside, is that the stronger sidewalls don't flex as much, so for offroad driving they won't conform to rocks and other obstacles as well. Even a lot of the 35s, 37s and other big offroad meats are C rated, not even D, because guys are going to crawl rocks and want lots of flex, even at the expense of some strength.

The E rated tires are really designed for hauling, and full-sized pick-ups. Not that they wouldn't work fine for some of us.

·
on line
120 Posts
Great!

prod39 said:

My vote is for the Wrangler Silent Armor !

Jim B
I like your X! It is the way I want to go too.
Did you do the mods all by yourself?
How do you like the Wrangler SA?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Here's a better shot of Jim's ride, and his great big balls. This was not a friendly obstacle.

·
on line
463 Posts
Hey Syndicate ! Thank You,,,,,,,I think !
That's the first pic of the rock that bit my shackle and license plate frame.

Answer to a couple of questions is Yes, I did the mods right here in sunny so Cal. ( Neighbors love the driveway work !)
My X started out as a stock S model with standard stuff.
I had this psychotic need to be different,,,,,,,,,
then I met all of you guys and found we are all " Different" !

MC, thus far the alloy wheels have n't met the dreaded "rock-rash" .
I am frantically attempting to put together a set of steel wheels and tires
before next week and the next rock-crushing meet in the desert.
You guys are too much Fun !

Jim B

·
on line
463 Posts
OOps, Sorry I missed a question !

I really like the Silent Armor tires. I opted for the 285x75x16s and the this tire is the "light truck" version. The car version has a softer side-wall and rides a little softer, from what I was told.

This tire was reviewed in four-wheel drive magazine, in early 06, It is quiet on the road,,,has great traction on and off-road.
The kevlar provides the silent armor in that they very resistant to side-wall damage from rocks etc.
( The magazine said all of this and, passed it as a real advancement of The Goodyear Wrangler tire.)
I can't attest to wet traction,,,,,,,I live in Southern California,,,,,,,,we don't have any rain !

( That's a joke ! It does really well as a daily driver as well, and the wet traction is great )

I'm making the second set of wheels and tires to save these !

Jim B

1 - 20 of 34 Posts