Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke to one of their sales reps this morning. She said that they are "in production" right now. It looks like they're going to make their original goal of having them ready to show at the Off-Road Expo in SoCal next month.

She said they should be available sometime between mid-November and mid-October.

I also asked her about ratios. She had to check some of her paperwork, but all she had listed as available was 3.73 and 4.56 (What! No 4.10's?).
One thing I intended to verify (but forgot when I was on the phone) was they they would have them available for both rear axle models.

I sent an e-mail to another sales rep (she recommended this) named Mike who supposedly had more info than she did.

I'll keep you posted...

**UPDATE (9/27/07)**

Please don't shoot the messenger on this one. I finally got ahold of our guy at Superior. The conspiracy theory turns out to be true. That October-November release date is for the Titan stuff.

However, they do have plans to pursue gears sets for the X and Fronty people, as they realize there's a market for this stuff too. They do have plans to reverse engineer the R180 gear set. The bad news for the C200 owners is that we'll see a full front and rear set for the M226 folks first, since they're already making Titan gearsets. I would like to think that the C200 wouldn't be far behind after they get the R180 done.

Again, I'll keep you posted...

·
on line
615 Posts
Re: More R&P gear news from Superior Axle

OregonX said:
Spoke to one of their sales reps this morning. She said that they are "in production" right now. It looks like they're going to make their original goal of having them ready to show at the Off-Road Expo in SoCal next month.

She said they should be available sometime between mid-November and mid-October.

I also asked her about ratios. She had to check some of her paperwork, but all she had listed as available was 3.73 and 4.56 (What! No 4.10's?).
One thing I intended to verify (but forgot when I was on the phone) was they they would have them available for both rear axle models.

I sent an e-mail to another sales rep (she recommended this) named Mike who supposedly had more info than she did.

I'll keep you posted...

english???

·
on line
3,262 Posts
That friggin ROCKS!!! who the hell needs 4.10's anyway??? not me!!! :cheers: Hopefully they will have them for my rear end.

I assume they are doing the front gears as well (that would be just silly to only produce them for the rear).

Im all giddy inside now!!!

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: More R&P gear news from Superior Axle

santacruzed said:
OregonX said:

I'll keep you posted...

english???
Umm... I'm not sure what you need clarification on. But here goes;

R&P = Ring and Pinion.

Superior Axle = Superior Axle and Gear. A company that manufactures ring and pinion gearsets, axle shafts, etc.

Does that help?

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S_e_X-Terra said:
That friggin ROCKS!!! who the hell needs 4.10's anyway??? not me!!! :cheers: Hopefully they will have them for my rear end.

I assume they are doing the front gears as well (that would be just silly to only produce them for the rear).

Im all giddy inside now!!!
Yeah, I asked. I felt a little sheephish doing it, but I don't think that it would be too farfetched for a company to take a look inside our (aluminum) diff housings and say... "F#%* this. Let's just do the rear and maybe we'll get a few customers who need them for SAS projects."

Hopefully this Mike guy will be able to answer a few more questions.

I'll keep you posted (in English).

·
on line
230 Posts
Lower side gears wont be any good in a defective, stock diff. With the additional torque reduction at the diff the diffs will explode even faster, and definately no warranty.

New rear locker, new front end...then gears...

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well hey, its a start... when ARB and other companies see how fast these gears are flying off the shelves (im crossing my fingers here) then they might decide that it would be a good idea to start building lockers for the trucks.

·
on line
527 Posts
lloyd Swartz said:
Lower side gears wont be any good in a defective, stock diff. With the additional torque reduction at the diff the diffs will explode even faster, and definately no warranty.

But the gear sets are what is breaking correct? If they are made of a different alloy or heat treated a different way that makes them stronger than stock that will be ok.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
So now I have to decide if I want to keep my rear end or stick with the 9" for my sas, Mmmmm? That is awesome that they are coming out with these, hopefully like Eddo said this will light a fire underneath the aftermarkets ass once they realize we need parts too!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
atekt said:
So now I have to decide if I want to keep my rear end or stick with the 9" for my sas, Mmmmm? That is awesome that they are coming out with these, hopefully like Eddo said this will light a fire underneath the aftermarkets *** once they realize we need parts too!
Uhhhh..... dont keep our rear end if you are doing a SAS. Go with the 9"! too much after market stuff is out for those things and not enough for ours. Plus if you ever mess anything up you always can just pull the 3rd member out rather than dismantleing the whole axle.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
cincinnati_xterra said:
lloyd Swartz said:

But the gear sets are what is breaking correct? If they are made of a different alloy or heat treated a different way that makes them stronger than stock that will be ok.
I gather he's assuming the gears are breaking due to expansion of the housing, allowing for gear spread.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Well hey, its a start... when ARB and other companies see how fast these gears are flying off the shelves (im crossing my fingers here) then they might decide that it would be a good idea to start building lockers for the trucks.
Eddie whay haven't you ordered up the ARB locker and had a shop try it out yet.
I say you do it and have the shop test it on your next africa trip!!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
S_e_X-Terra said:
Eddie whay haven't you ordered up the ARB locker and had a shop try it out yet.
I say you do it and have the shop test it on your next africa trip!!
Well hasnt it been decided that our trucks are 32 spline.... and the locker is for 31 spline (or vise versa).... or have I totally lost my mind?

·
on line
1,206 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
atekt said:
So now I have to decide if I want to keep my rear end or stick with the 9" for my sas, Mmmmm? That is awesome that they are coming out with these, hopefully like Eddo said this will light a fire underneath the aftermarkets *** once they realize we need parts too!
Uhhhh..... dont keep our rear end if you are doing a SAS. Go with the 9"! too much after market stuff is out for those things and not enough for ours. Plus if you ever mess anything up you always can just pull the 3rd member out rather than dismantleing the whole axle.
Word. This is actually really awesome news for Xterra onwers, I hope Superior really follows through....

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Few points.

If they make them for the rear, they have to make matching gears for the front (unless they are only going to sell to the 2wd owners).

I do not think our diff problems are becuase of the R&P gears (I am pretty sure it's a spider gear problem).

I do hope they make them for all models, but I bet they will not (at least not right away)....and....I bet they will be for the C200 as there are a lot more of them out there.

·
on line
108 Posts
Not to sound like a total noobie but I was wondering how do you know if you have a c200? I have a 2005 4X4 se it has a production date of March. I was just wondering because I want to know all I can about these exploding diffs. I do not wheel to hard, but before I knew about these grenade diffs I got stuck and it took me about 45mins to get out. I did panic once and was rocking it pretty hard. Little story I was high centered my front passenger wheel was about 2ft in the air and my rear driver side was about the same. going over a small hill,soft dirt gave away in the front and slide me sideways putting my front into a ditch. The funny thing was a was only high centered under the passenger side on like a shelf 4ft long and maybe 2ft wide. The only time I like seeing trash in the desert I used a lot of it to help get me out. Man my kids were freaking out we were rocking on those 2 wheels it was funny but frustrating.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you do a search you will find all the diff info you would want. But just so you know, all SE's have C200's. Only the OR model and manual tranny's have the M226's.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts