Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first start the engine when the vehicle is cold, like first in the morning, I get condensation (water) coming out the exhaust pipe tip. This is normal. I noticed the other day it dripping off the muffler. Is there a water drain hole on the stock muffler or did I develop a hole?

I have over 40,000 miles on my X. I noticed the muffler had a couple dings in it I suspect from running over truck tire tread remnants on the highway and offroading.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
xterra4me said:
When I first start the engine when the vehicle is cold, like first in the morning, I get condensation (water) coming out the exhaust pipe tip. This is normal. I noticed the other day it dripping off the muffler. Is there a water drain hole on the stock muffler or did I develop a hole?

I have over 40,000 miles on my X. I noticed the muffler had a couple dings in it I suspect from running over truck tire tread remnants on the highway and offroading.

the times i have been under I have never seen a drain. did you notice a change in the sound? might want to drop down an check

·
on line
142 Posts
This is normal on all internal combustion engines. Water vapor is a byproduct of the combustion and when the exaust is cold the water condenses in there. It will evaporate when the exaust heats up.

Z.

·
on line
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ZwithanX said:
This is normal on all internal combustion engines. Water vapor is a byproduct of the combustion and when the exaust is cold the water condenses in there. It will evaporate when the exaust heats up.

Z.
I know condensation is normal and it should drip from the exhaust tip. Should it drip from the back of the muffler?

·
on line
1,479 Posts
USMC XTERRA said:
Yea there is a weap hole in the muffler to let water out. So that's ok. MC

MC to the rescue! :cheers:

·
on line
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just had the y-pipe collector just ahead of the muffler replaced. Here are pics of the removed stock y-pipe.

Note how the pipes are just flattened.

This is the outlet side of the pipe where it goes in the muffler. It looks very restrictive.

I spoke with a muffler shop near Round Rock Nissan. The muffler guy there said that a Nissan sales guy had sent a couple of Xterras over to have the y-pipe replaced. This guy wanted me to buy the ypipe off the net and he would charge $85 to install it.

I went to a custom exhaust shop and they removed this y-pipe and fabbed a new collector. It cost me just under $80.00.

What a difference! Even my wife noticed it. I kept the stock muffler. The performance improvement is very noticeable on the on-ramps to freeway and when passing. It's well worth the eighty bucks.

You can also find the collectors on Summit and Jegs performance sites. Four our trucks, they run about $30.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts