Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2WD S with possibly one leaking rear shock. Anyone using Monroe 37275 shock absorbers in the rear? The old model was 911298 and is not recommended by Monroe. They are a bit cheaper on ebay.

I sold my Titan and it was a lot less jarring going down the road. The rear seems very stiff. Not sure if the springs, shocks or tires are the issue. What shocks would smooth out the road better?

·
Registered
762 Posts
You might as well just thrown on a set of bilstein shocks. Cheap, and ride great. Go with the 5100's and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I have a 2WD S with possibly one leaking rear shock. Anyone using Monroe 37275 shock absorbers in the rear? The old model was 911298 and is not recommended by Monroe. They are a bit cheaper on ebay.

I sold my Titan and it was a lot less jarring going down the road. The rear seems very stiff. Not sure if the springs, shocks or tires are the issue. What shocks would smooth out the road better?
Couple things could be in play. Xterra's are known to have a weak rear leaf pack as well and could be contributing to your suspension issues. By stiff, does it bottom out easily (more so leafs) or bounce around / get upset easily by uneven pavement (more so shocks)?

As far as Monroe's go - they a are more budget oriented brand. Most folks on the board tend twords Bilsteins - specifically the 5100s. The 5100 shock is height adjustable so folks with lifts, or looking to lift opt for them. The Bilstein HD / 4600 shock is the same shock, just not height adjustable and fine for stock Xterras. I run those and have been happy with them.

Bilstein HDs aren't terrible expensive. If just doing the rear I paid $140 from eshocks.com. But truthfully if you just want something to replace the rear, especially if the shocks are blown - Monroes would be fine.

The rears are also very easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Couple things could be in play. Xterra's are known to have a weak rear leaf pack as well and could be contributing to your suspension issues. By stiff, does it bottom out easily (more so leafs) or bounce around / get upset easily by uneven pavement (more so shocks)?
By stiff I mean the rear ends seems to react to bumps and ruts in the road much harsher than my Titan did. The rear end does not bounce or bottom out. The driver side rear shock looked a bit moist so I wiped it down to see if it really leaking. With 90K on the vehicle new shocks seem like a good idea.

I just got the vehicle and the tires are some Chinese brand with an "off-road" tread pattern. Noisy as heck with the window down. I would get rid of them but they look new and this is just a weekend toy. They could be part of the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts