Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new relatively new to the forum. I just purchased a 2012 Xterra pro-4x automatic trans. I have a Chalet trailer weighing about 1350 lbs. which I previously pulled with my Subaru for the last 8 years.

I am interested in doing the Mojave road, all 120 miles of it East to West. I am curious if anyone has done this trip and if they have pulled a trailer and what weight. The Chalet has 12" tires and decent clearance of about 12" with very little if anything hanging down.

My question for anyone who has done this road: can the Xterra be expected to handle this 1350 pull load through sandy sections assuming I reduce tire pressure in the vehicle and the trailer appropriately? I realize that the Xterra is rated at 5,000 lb. towing capacity so it seems that the 1350 lbs. should be fairly easy for it, but the reality of this road may make towing that weight more difficult than I am expecting. Any information or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have run the road, and would be hesitant to do it solo... There are some seriously sandy areas that we had to hit quick and hard to make sure we didnt get bogged down... In terms of terrain it isnt difficult... just sandy at spots which I would be nervous to take a trailer through that isnt built for offroad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the input. I think the first time I do it, I will definitely go without the trailer. If I cannot find anyone else to go on the trip, I was thinking of doing it in sections since it is cut by a number of paved roads.
Thinking of posting a thread asking if others might be interested.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
If you're worried about the Xterra being able to pull your pop-up trailer, don't worry, it can. I did so for years. Like it wasn't there except it was noticeable at highway speeds above 60.

What I'd worry about was tires. The OEM tires are absolutely horrible in deep sand, even when aired down as I found out in the Pismo Dunes...let along trying to drag the trailer weight behind you.

Second, taking little 12-inch tires on the trailer off road on anything more than a fire road is a disaster in the making.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I echo the others comments...and having run The Road with Azxterra410 last year, the additional challenge of getting stuck solo, with your trailer, would be the prohibitor.

Also, I might have some concerns about pulling a trailer over the whoop-dee-doo's through several sections of The Road. Not sure about the tongue/hitch angles as you ascend/descend some the steeper WDD's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts