Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will probably earn me the "WTF" award for the week, but here goes;

After my big fender trimming job, I started to get concerned about the fact that my air box tube through the frame rail was completely exposed. I had to trim away that inner plastic fender which was to some degree acting as a buffer against any water splashing, etc.

So I called up Summit racing and ordered a K&N "snowcharger" pre-filter wrap. These things are intended to prevent packed snowmelt from getting into their snowmobile air filters. Once it arrived I pulled it out of the package and ran it under the sink. The water just beaded off, it was kinda cool. The pre-filter fabric breathes suprisingly easy.

The Summit part # is: KNN-SN-2580PK.

Anyway... I removed the bottom piece of the factory airbox and cut through the tube. I used some V-shaped vinyl door trim (which comes with a bead of silicone inside the V) and ran it around the cut edge of the tube. I cut the top 1/3rd of the pre-filter off and zip-tied it around what was left of the tube.

Now any water that comes in through the hole in the frame rail will at least spill down the fender before it hits the pre-filter fabric covering the intake tube.

And trust me, I don't make a habit of driving around in water with this thing. I know the risk. I will plow through the ocassional creek or shallow standing water at our dunes park. And the way things were, it sure would not have taken much to get water in there.

Obviously the down side is that the intake system is slightly more restricted, and I may be pulling in a little more warm air from the engine compartment, but I don't think it amounts to much.

·
on line
807 Posts
looks likes a good idea, but if you were concerned about hot air, why didnt you keep the peice that connects the box to the fender, and just put the material inbetween the foam and the fender?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I thought I suggested this full flow no snow $20 solution?
Pictured uninstalled on air box.

And lying down and looking up with inner fenderwell uninstalled!
Tell me if I can run though mud like this with no inner fenders and get nothing in the Air intake and have full factory flow, why not.

I think I am going to retire. Who wants to take my place?

MC

·
on line
564 Posts
SuWeet! Add another 15 feet or so and you can vacuum out the interior :thumbleft:

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stevet47 said:
looks likes a good idea, but if you were concerned about hot air, why didnt you keep the peice that connects the box to the fender, and just put the material inbetween the foam and the fender?
I see where your coming from with this one. I had my concerns about the tires kicking up too much mud and crap onto that pre-filter material without my inner fender there. I wouldn't want that hole in the frame rail to get all gunked up, effectively plugging my intake. Back where it is, the actual metal fender seems to provide much more splash protection.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
usmc xterra said:
I thought I suggested this full flow no snow $20 solution?
Pictured uninstalled on air box.
Umm... I guess I should have been more specific. I didn't get a "snowcharger" wrap because I was concerned about snow. I bought it because I thought it would have better water resistant properties than a regular pre-filter wrap.

I should have video'd my little experiment. While I still had the top of the airbox off, I stuck a hose through the hole in the fender and turned it on. The water beaded right off the wrap material. I was watching the inside of the box to see if any water trickled down the silencer tube, and none did.

usmc xterra said:
I think I am going to retire. Who wants to take my place?

MC
I'm confused... retire from what? Your Xterra?

·
on line
133 Posts
robnfl said:
SuWeet! Add another 15 feet or so and you can vacuum out the interior :thumbleft:
That's too funny.

Attach a flowbee and perform a hair trim while you drive; and they thought cell phones were dangerous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts