Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading on the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act over on the SEMA website. One suggestion they make is for establishing precedent with regard to how different dealers are handling/mishandling warrantable issues.
One of our fronty brethren was visiting here looking for our members to provide him with "proof" that other dealers were/are honoring the "spirit" of the warranty and the Magnusson-Moss Act". We have several members here that have "claimed" to have had there diffs replaced under warranty with little circumstance........Where are they now?
Here is what I suggest. If these members can scan images into .pdf files for storage either here or at any other of the active Fronty or Titan sites it could serve as a "clearinghouse" for all in situ negotiations taking place between them and their dealers. A database of scanned service forms could be compiled categorically not only for the diff issue, but for other issues as well.
As all of you are aware, timing in dealings of this nature are critical. And, if all of us were to contribute these documents, everyone would be able to show up at there respective dealers armed with what is really necessary for taking the more objective higher ground in our arguments.
So far, the information this site has provided with regard to this subject has been fragmented, injected with opinion, and anything but objective. Mostly useless for the purpose of gaining ground on Nissan.
I don't know jack about running a website but I would love to see one of the moderators here take ownership of this kind of project.
I'd suggest we start by supplying a "database section", then compiling names of members here that are known to have had the problem and call them to duty on submitting this info and a BRIEF commentary on their experience. This would not be a place for more babble on the subject....... People could use the PM feature for specific and more direct questioning. This is one way we could begin to win the fight at the trench (dealer) level.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Re: A suggestion for being better organized...the diff issue

xtatik said:
...We have several members here that have "claimed" to have had there diffs replaced under warranty with little circumstance........Where are they now?...
My truck is now in the shop, getting it's front diff replaced for the second time. So far, I've had no problems with warranty coverage. The only question I was asked regarded tire size. I knew the right answer.

I completely agree with Xtatiks post. The "broken diff" topic is way too dispersed throughout this site and others. I'm in full support of compiling service reports.

I wouldn't know how to reorganize this site to better cover the broken diff issue. If another member here has a good idea, please chime in.

·
on line
131 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. I see that you understand what I am trying to do. Some of you are members at clubfrontier and can post there. If you have or can get a copy of you work order they can be posted in this thread http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20758 . If you do not have a scanner you can simple take a photo of the document. All the info that I can get will be stored by me. So far I am not getting much. If at any time this site can come up with a way to organize the info I will send it to whom ever needs it.

·
on line
230 Posts
Good idea, might atleast help at arbitration, formal or BBB. Make sure the posts include the mods on your vehicle at the time, tires, bumpers, skids, lift, ect as well as fourwheeling experience for the vehicle. CLEARLY there is a difference.

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Super6turbo4
Actually, I'd like to see the info stationed somewhere on the net, preferrably here. If this thing gets off the ground, and I have my doubts, I will post of its presence here on all other boards....repeatedly over time. I know how to do this much.
If we were to do this, given the circumstances, it would give this site its greatest utility. Rather than being a cackling henhouse for the issue, it just might save a lot of money for Nissan owners. If somehow, miraculously, Nissan is forced to acknowledge a shortcoming in these vehicles, we may just see a a change on a subsequent model year. And, instead of replacing with the same diff, the replacements will be with an updated and improved unit that will better serve the more serious offroad end of our group. But, each time an owner loses the battle, we all lose the battle for balance of precedence.

·
on line
735 Posts
The whole front diff thing really bums me out. Ocassionally I get the urge to take the X over a short trail or hill climb with a tough spot or two and decide not to. The whole warranty repplacement thing won't last forever and if it did, wouldn't you get tired of it? Kind of makes me think of a semi-famous movie quote from Tommy Boy:

TOMMY: "Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me".

The best thing I can hope for is that Nissan adapts a cast iron 200mm diff for this platform in a later model..but I know they won't or it would have likely already happened for use in the V8 Pathfinder. I was looking at 1997 Toyota Land cruisers (last year of the solid axle), but they are all 10 year old gas hogs. I suppose I'll just keep driving it modestly.

So... <question for Syndicate> now that you have been through a pair of front diffs, are you gonna go down to stock tires, or just relegate the X to street use? or just take all the warranty nissan will give until a good SAS conversion is made?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
mike100 said:
So... <question for Syndicate> now that you have been through a pair of front diffs, are you gonna go down to stock tires, or just relegate the X to street use? or just take all the warranty nissan will give until a good SAS conversion is made?
I'm going to take full advantage of the warranty I paid for. However, I'm getting pretty sick of breaking diffs. If the diff needs replacing one more time, the vehicle will qualify for the CA Lemon Law. We'll see.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Sorry, but I will not release a copy of my service reports. I have supplied the name of the dealer that did the work.

My reasoning here is I feel the dealer did this on good faith and do not want to have Nissan put pressure on them to not warranty work for me or my local club members in the future.

·
on line
131 Posts
It doesn't have to show any of the info you are worried about. The one that I recieved from DBAX doesn't have the dealer info or any of his info. He just took a picture of the middle that shows parts numbers and the fact that is was done for no charge to the customer. It doesn't matter to me who did the repair just the fact that it was done. Both of the dealers that i have been to used the "we haven't seen that before" excuse. This is just to prove I am not the only one.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, then i might be willing to do that.

I'll dig them up this week and scan them.

I have one for the front and one for the rear.

·
on line
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Muzikman said:
Sorry, but I will not release a copy of my service reports. I have supplied the name of the dealer that did the work.

My reasoning here is I feel the dealer did this on good faith and do not want to have Nissan put pressure on them to not warranty work for me or my local club members in the future.
I hope we don't see a lot of this.
I understand your wanting to protect your realtionship with this dealer. However, I don't think this is necessary. Your dealer is doing as it should. From what I've read here regarding most diff failures, is that the dealers are all acting in good faith with the exception of heavily modded vehicles.
Your dealer is to be commended for its service commitment to its customers. The goal here is to bring the less scrupulous dealers in to the same accord. I doubt seriously that Nissan would intervene on this issue.
Much of what was written into the Magnusson-Moss Act were contibutions from auto manufacturers, not dealers mind you....manufacturers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts