Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm switching over to synthetic oil today and decided to go with Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30. Have a couple of real world questions:

1. Is there any difference between the Truck & SUV synthetic type compared to the regular synthetic type? They are the same price. Since the X is an SUV I went with the Truck & SUV over the regular. I may or may not do some towing but figured I'd go with what seemed to be more applicable protection.

2. Noticed this http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Extended_Performance.asp when I was at the store and thought long and hard about purchasing it before deciding against it. 15,000 miles or 1 year between changes! But I could just imagine if something went wrong and the hassle it might cause. It was only $6 more than the regular synthetic for a 5 quart bottle.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well you can go that long, but I suggest a better air filter and a better oil filter, Amsoil sells a 1 year or 25K Oil for our X and they warranty and damage due to oil for that period. I don't think Mobil does that. True synthetic oil can easily go a year. MC

·
on line
332 Posts
amsoil is the best but i am running mobil 1 right now and i like it so far but i have to wait and see this summer if its trail worthy.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I use mobile 1 regular synthetic, not the extended performance.

I however do not run it any where near those intervals, and plan to keep the regular service intervals (I am just not brave enough). It's only $4 more than dyno for a 5 quart bottle and I can use the extra court I buy at least 3 times to top of the little extra I need.

I do a lot of short driving, less than 10 miles and figure it's best.

I am sure for the short intervals I run it, it's fine.

·
on line
335 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Well you can go that long, but I suggest a better air filter and a better oil filter, Amsoil sells a 1 year or 25K Oil for our X and they warranty and damage due to oil for that period. I don't think Mobil does that. True synthetic oil can easily go a year. MC
just curious if you could show us this warranty, i'd been looking for it...the only one i could find is amsoil warrantying the oil itself.

·
on line
54 Posts
i run mobil 1 and change it every 5K....

ive ran it that way in every car ive owned.... including my trans am which i drive alot HARDER than the X, and it still could go a few thousand more

·
on line
3,484 Posts
lj1983 said:
usmc xterra said:
just curious if you could show us this warranty, I'd been looking for it...the only one i could find is amsoil warrantying the oil itself.
Seriously, I get so tired of homework looking stuff up for Amsoil that I am definitely not going to renew my dealership, just continue as a user, Same as the Transmission fluid, I get a newsletter that says We have it now that exceeds Nissan J K specs and then I have to call the company, and hunt down the info and prove it.

I say things off the top of my head that I know. Once I read it, it sticks.
I do know that Amsoil will back their oil if you use it, are denied a warranty and many other situations. But since 1972 no one has ever made a claim, Because Amsoil does work. But anyways it's under FAQ's and you have to read past the point where they say the warranty the oil.

"3. The liability of AMSOIL INC. shall be limited to:
a. Replacement of the defective lubricant.
b. The cost, including labor and materials, to repair damaged equipment, or at the option of AMSOIL INC., the cost to replace damaged equipment, resulting directly from the use of AMSOIL INC. lubricants when used in the proper applications."

Now your homework assignment, go find the rest of it and read it.

I stand by the fact that there is no better oil period at any price and that Amsoil stands by their oil. I really don't see any sales job needed. People who can afford it should just buy it and use it. http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx It's based on what they run in jet engines and in space program, if it works for them don't ya think a simple internal combustion engine would be a piece of cake?

But, don't believe a word of what I say, or they say, use Mobile One with Dino oil (It's not pure synthetic) it's cheaper. You engine will most likely never blow with it. Amsoil is overkill. Personally I like overkill.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.
http://www.amsoil.com/

MC

·
on line
189 Posts
i ran Castrol Syntec..
but now i run Mobil 1..

·
on line
47 Posts
Smthrde said:
i run mobil 1 and change it every 5K....

ive ran it that way in every car ive owned.... including my trans am which i drive alot HARDER than the X, and it still could go a few thousand more
I'm the same here, I try to stick to about every 5K miles, but am not worried about going over a lil here and there. I've been running the same same Mobil 1 extended performance oil in the Xterra and my 528. On the Xterra, since it's still under warranty (for now that it is, my wife just hit 23,000miles and we've only had it for 13 months) I take it into the dealer every 5K miles and have them do the full service incl the oil change. I have them use the regular Nissan filter and I leave 6qts of the oil in the car. They still hit me up for about $65 even w/ supplying my own oil but I'd just rather have the piece of mind if any warranty issues ever came that I have the records that they did service it on a regular basis. Waste of money, yeah I know, my wife tells me all the time.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
SKW said:
I take it into the dealer every 5K miles and have them do the full service incl the oil change. I have them use the regular Nissan filter and I leave 6qts of the oil in the car. They still hit me up for about $65 even w/ supplying my own oil but I'd just rather have the piece of mind if any warranty issues ever came that I have the records that they did service it on a regular basis. Waste of money, yeah I know, my wife tells me all the time.
$65? Damn! My stealership charges $24.95 for oil and filter change w/ a 30 min in and out guarantee or your next one is free. The catch is you have to make an appointment. I just call ahead when I have time and if they can do it, I run it down to them.

·
on line
423 Posts
Do a search on the Magnuson-Moss Act. Nissan cannot void your warrantee for using non nissan parts as long as the part is made for your car.

Keep your reciepts and log the date and milage and youll be fine. $65 is a lot to pay for 20 minutes work the work you cound do yourself for free. I am guessing your getting charged one hour of labor.

for $30 worth the oil and the $5 nissan filter youy may as well do it yourself.

·
on line
47 Posts
I'm sorry, I should've clarified that when I mentioned getting charged $65 when I take it in for service, this wasn't just for the oil change alone. This is for the scheduled service/maintenance. So in addition to the oil changes they're also rotating the tires, topping off fluids, etc, like the last on e I had done was the one in the service & maintenance guide under (22,500 miles or 18 months).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts