Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I know there's a million alternator threads out there.

I'm back in Canada for the foreseeable future. It's cold here, but not THAT cold. Hovers around the freezing mark.

My battery dies every 48 hours if I don't start the X. Battery has been tested several times, and everyone says the battery looks good and alternator 'technically' passes but is on the 'low' side of pass.

I'm pretty sure I must have some kind of parasitic draw, but thinking if the alternator is on the way out i should replace it.

So, two fold question. What's the best way to check for a parasitic draw, considering I've got after market additions like roof lights, and air compressor, etc?

Also where is the best place to get a new alternator in Canada? I've been spoiled living in the land of cheap everything (America!) and I'm sure the local dealership here will bend me over. Would it make sense to order an alternator from the US with customs and broker fees?

Thanks for any help. I've got my battery on a trickle charger right now, we'll see how long it lasts.

:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
is it the stock battery? Red/yellow top optimum batteries are great.

It does sound like that alternator is not doing its job. Steady replaces alts like every year so he might know where to get them.

You could just drive across the border and get one.

Mine is stock battery even though it is a 2012 and up to -30*C it will start. if its gonna be colder I plug it in. I can go days without starting it as well.

Maybe you have a wire or switch acting up and there is something that is always drawing power.

You might need to spend a day going through all the aftermarket addons (do you leave anything plugged into a cig outlet as well?) that have been wired in to find the solution.

use a tester and with everything turned off test all connections to see if there is a draw somewhere. at least you have warm weather to do this

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not close enough to the border to make the drive worth it (I don't think). I've got a Diehard Platinum heavy duty battery - which is basically a re-branded Optima, so it's a good battery.

Yeah I'm gonna have to break out the multimeter and start digging around. So annoying.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Definitely sounds like a parasitic draw. I have no issues leaving my truck for a few days in way colder than you have and the battery is fine.

Even if your alternator is on the low end of passing it clearly works enough to charge the battery if you start it every 48hrs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely sounds like a parasitic draw. I have no issues leaving my truck for a few days in way colder than you have and the battery is fine.

Even if your alternator is on the low end of passing it clearly works enough to charge the battery if you start it every 48hrs.

Good luck.
Thanks - going to take advantage of being at my folks place since they have a garage. Just need to find the time to tear into the beast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts