Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know many of you do trips to Moab. The following is some info related to land management plans which if in place, will close several thousand miles of trails in the Moab area. I pulled these from the Utah Four Wheel Drive Association website:

Up to 4,000 miles of existing roads will be closed under the new plans, and many other changes will affect how you are able to enjoy 4x4 recreation in the Moab area. It is imperative that you submit a comment before the deadline (November 30th).

Here is a collection of information gathered from Blueribbon Coalition, U4WDA, Red Rock 4 Wheelers, and Moab Friends-For-Wheelin’:

http://www.u4wda.org/documents/U4WDA.Moab.Information.pdf

Here is U4WDA’s official comment letter:

http://www.u4wda.org/documents/U4WDA.Moab.Official.pdf

Note the deadline of November 30th for comments. Send comments as noted if you are inclined.

Thanks.

Please be sure you submit a comment! The future of motorized recreation in Moab depends on it!

·
on line
1,206 Posts
This makes me sick, I sent in a letter with my concerns on this issue.
Please everyone leave a comment or something, we cant let moab get taken away....

·
on line
830 Posts
You knwo what if the government of Utah is stupid enough to kill a multy million dollar a year industry then thats the People of Utahs problem. They are the ones who elected people and need to be the one who voice there concern.

·
on line
255 Posts
The extreme enviro-nazi types are a powerful lobby. The officials in Utah, the feds and the general populace may be just 'stupid'(read: ignorant) enough to let the extremists control what happens. So it is a good idea to make sure as many people know what is going on as possible.
Moab is great and Utah has plenty of room for all kinds of recreation. Not everyone wants to, is able to, or should have to 'walk' the wilderness. The folks there need to preserve a variety in what is called their 'quality of life'. Off road clubs around Moab do a good job of keeping the area vital and respecting nature. The nearby parks and rec areas have something for everyone. These areas shouldn't be cut off from multi-use.

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bigdaddychia said:
You knwo what if the government of Utah is stupid enough to kill a multy million dollar a year industry then thats the People of Utahs problem. They are the ones who elected people and need to be the one who voice there concern.
Chia, this would be the BLM...Burea Of Land Management...YOUR federal government at work. So, I guess you are to blame...way to go.

State and Federal agencies are under funded. They find it easier to just close areas, than to try and maintain them. Also, as noted the extreme enviros know this weakness and exploit it.

If anyone thinks that a local closure is just local, think again. One success on either side sets precedence for other areas in the country. Also, amazingly, one of the very strong Utah based enviro groups, Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA), gets most of their funding from out of state.

·
on line
704 Posts
This is a lesson for all of us... Next you to discover a nice trail, keep your mouth shut and share the location only with your close friends.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
If anyone thinks that a local closure is just local, think again. One success on either side sets precedence for other areas in the country.

No kidding. There is actually a Federal mandate to review access to public lands. It's called the "'Route Designation Process" and it's happening in every state.

Moab, The Rubicon, Fordyce, etc are all at risk.

You can read about it on Pirate 4x4.

While a note to your elected officials will likely go unnoticed, it's a start:

Find yours here.

The best way to get things done is to provide a group with funding. The Blue Ribbon Coalition is very active in this effort. Consider a donation.

·
on line
255 Posts
xknut, nice search site for folks to find their elected officials and contact info. You are correct. Stuff like this is happening all over the country. In this case, the BLM needs to hear from those concerned. You can also take your concerns to the local BLM office. Ours is 20 minutes from us.

I agree about providing funding to a group you believe in. Folks should also join and participate in local, regional and national groups that hold positions they support.

Do contact your elected officials. In WY, our U.S. Senators, Mike and John, as well as Barbara Cubin,our Rep in the House, are very responsive. They are pro multi use. For example, they have fought to keep snowmobiling in Yellowstone; very unpopular with the Sierras, Friends, the californicators who have moved in and started to take over Jackson, etc.. They are very accessible and listen. Wyomingites demand that. They are also very pro-gun, pro-self defense and pro-hunting. We hop in the X go up to a National Forest, find a safe spot, take out the AR-15, 870 and Glock and fire away and its perfectly legal and encouraged... try that in CA. Our Congressional reps have helped me with problems in the past. That's one reason I (we) chose to live in Wyoming instead of moving back to CA.

Some states are tougher than others to be heard in and get your postion supported. I grew up in the Bay Area, went to UC Berkeley, worked for Big Blue in Silicon Valley before being transferred to D.C.. In spite of this, I somehow evolved into a rational human being. I agree that Boxer, Feinstein, Pelosi et al and their staffs are very unlikely to take an interest in what one person has to say, much less agree with a pro multi use(including motorized vehicle use) position. However, a noisy, incessant minority could get them to take notice and bend a little...maybe. Hence the importance of a well funded, energetic, organized group.

·
on line
830 Posts
We signed the petitions here yet we got all of the good spots closed because the land owners. Many of our wheeling spots where in dry river beds and stuff but because of idiots, they get closed. Sign a petition right a congressman, it does no good. Now the only spots we have to wheel at in the state of Texas cost money. Id rather pay and wheel on private land then fight with the tree huggers any more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts