Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Introduction: My daily driver, but I work from home so I'm not worried about gas mileage much. When things break or wear out I will replace it with something better.

Username - Mnemonic

Make - Nissan
Year - 2006
Model - Xterra
Trim - Off-Road 4x4, 5 speed Auto, w/ Rockford Fosgate
Color - Granite
Mileage - 139,000ish
Ride Height - 37" front / 37.75" rear (to fenders)

Latest Picture:

Mods:

Armor:Suspension: Wheels & Tires: Engine/Drivetrain: Electrical/Lighting: Audio:
  • Pioneer AVH-4200 NEX
  • JBL Club 9600C 6"x 9" Component System
  • JBL Club 6500C 6-1/2" Component System
Maintenance & Misc:
  • Gas strut hood support - by Offroad Gorilla
  • Tinted windows
  • Rubber anti skid mat in cargo area
  • Fender well melt mod
  • Removed Mud flaps
  • Replaced Driver’s side seat cover
  • SMOD replaced Transmission and Radiator, now with Bypass @ 86,000
  • Replaced Fuel Sending Unit @ ~93,000
  • Replace oil pressure sensor @ ~95,000
  • Passenger O2 sensors @ 116,000
  • Crankshaft Position Sensor @ 119,000
  • New Rack & Pinion @ 130,000
To Do / Wish list:
  • Foglight bypass
  • 30" LED bar for front bumper
  • Winch
  • Rear bumper
  • ???
  • Profit
Removed Mods:
  • MTX 801D amplifier – Amp needs main positive power terminal resoldered
  • 12” Subwoofer in custom box – Ready to reInstall!
  • Spectre air filter - Outer gasket seal was warping and seal was questionable.
  • Nissan Ipod interface with 80 GB Ipod classic - No longer needed
  • LED Dome and map lights - Disliked the "cool" color temperature
Photos:

Brand new / First day home - Circa December 2005

Old Katemcy - Aggie Highway - May 2006

Yes, I took a 5 month old, bone stock Xterra to Katemcy and lived!

More to come!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
My saved notes:
Gear Ratios
Transmission Type: 5-Speed Auto
1st: 3.84:1
2nd: 2.35:1
3rd: 1.53:1
4th: 1.00:1
5th: 0.84:1
Reverse: 2.76:1
Rear - 3.36:1

D44 Dana / M226 (CC33)

Low-range Ratio: 2.63:1
Crawl ratio, Auto: 41.5:1

Handy Links:
Travel Numbers Bible - The book of PreRunnerGreg
How to: Replace timing chain
New map lights with bluetooth panel

roof electrical posts:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37578

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1064
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1448521&postcount=435

Nutsert info

Reprogram key

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just ordered some new TPMS sensors so I can finally get rid of that annoying yellow light on my dash.... Found a good deal too on amazon for 29.50 a wheel!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFX1Z8G

I also need to a new pair of Destination A/Ts soon, so the sensors should be installed at the same time. Hope Firestone keeps the cost down low for install and I should be able to handle the resetting the TPMS system myself.

Then I measured my stock suspension spring sag to see where I sit. Front is 34.5" and Rear is 35.5" from ground to fender. I really want to eliminate hitting the rear bumpstops all the time, and hopefully gain a few inches in lift and travel. Currently eyeballing this kit:
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/4wd_advanced_coilover_kit/

But ultimately I think my next big purchase will be sliders or a 40" light bar.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But ultimately I think my next big purchase will be sliders or a 40" light bar.
Guess it only took me 4 days, but couldn't miss the steal of a deal. I just ordered a set of P&P Engineering Rock Sliders (Type 3). I went ahead with bare steel so I guess some truck bed liner is in my near future.

Other than that, I think I'm done for a couple months then I get to start tackling suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A quick update. Still waiting on my P&P sliders, but hopefully I'll get them sometime in April.

But question for everyone. I'm about to order a 40" curved light bar from Grrilla off-road. I'm leaning towards the combo pattern, but curious what everyone's thought are on the subject. Do you have a curved bar with either pattern and what do you think about it?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very busy week for me....

Hit a deer on Saturday.

Got my 40" light bar in from Grrilla in.
Got a bluetooth/sun glasses holder coming in for all my switches. (Thanks cutfromabove)
Still waiting on my P&P Sliders to get built and shipped, but hopefully this month.

And pulled the trigger on a front bumper from Shrockworks! I get to ride around with a busted bumper for a few months though....

So I got plenty of tasks ahead of me.
1. Buy fuse block and OTRATTW switches.
2. Install sun glasses holder
3. Redo amplifier wiring and drill a damn hole in my roof for light bar
4. Install said light bar / fuse block / etc.

I already have 0/1 gauge running to my sub amplifier in the rear. I'm trying to decide if I should tap into that or just run a new power line.

Also relays, are they really needed? OTRATTW rates their switches at 20A and the most load I want to put on it is 16A for the 40" light bar.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just ordered most of my needed electrical parts. OTRATTW switches for my CB, sub amplifier and 40" light bar. Also found that OTRATTW was selling the Blue Sea fuse box for cheaper than amazon, even when factoring in Prime free shipping.

Hopefully the local fry's electronics will have all the miscellanous crap for cheap. (shrink wrap, etc).

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Upgraded the map lights and put in overhead switches. Also looks like the OTRATTW guys upgraded my 40" light bar... :p But an replacement rocker and blanks are on the way! They are integrated to the dash dimmer circuit.

All other wiring is over 75% done. I installed relays behind the A/C controls, a blue sea fuse box by the glovebox, and everything is terminated, labeled and shrinkwrapped. But now I am at a standstill until I get the bulkhead for my roof wiring and a power distribution box so I can split off a 8 gauge wire off my existing 0/1 wiring.

Hope to get my P&P Sliders any day now, and still got like 3-4 months on my shrockworks bumper....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Got a lot done recently, or so it feels. Got P&P Level 3 sliders painted and installed. Installed the map light upgrade with OTRATTW switches in the bluetooth panel and also got the 40" light bar installed.

Rocking the duct tape until I can rework my mounts for less vibration at highway speeds.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

The Amber LEDs are a close match to the dash. I opted for the upper lights in green, but forgot to turn one on for the pic...

You can see two oval cuts here where I tried to be crafty and have the map light console mounting tabs attach here. They quickly became too loose are are now only used to get the console into alignment. I tapped two screws through the sunglasses area into the sheet metal for the final mount.

I can also now say my Xterra is .01% 1967 Mustang. I had some spare sheet metal from an old car of mine that I fabricated into mounts here. Some JB weld later and I've got a secure mount.

You can also see my 12 pin connector for my custom wiring harness. It's wired for 6 switches now, but only 4 are installed today.

More plug and switch panel harness shots:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
And modified my insain light bar mounts to address serious vibration issues. This is how the curved mounts should be built! I think the new location also eliminates 100% of my windshield glare and like 90% of my hood glare.

Low beams only:

High beams and Light bar:

Glamor shot of my new goodies, lol!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback.

Where did you get the switch panel?
I got lucky as I bought mine from another member on this site. You might want to try posting in the Wanted Items section, or you may get check your local junkyards.

Some ebay sales suggest it may be found in a 2010-2012 Xterra or a 2012-2013 Frontier (or newer) but I have no idea if that's right or not.

The part number on the back was 26430-ZL80C, but I could never find an online retailer that matched to this part#. The first 5 digits came up in various online nissan retailers, but they never had a picture to confirm it was the exact right one.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts