Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Looking to tap into the wealth of knowledge here, yet again.

My 2012 has had a distinct whine at low speeds, actually it's more of a whistle. It may be present at high speed, but it is drowned out by all the other noise. It's been about the exact same for a year or two. It doesn't appear to be influenced by the outdoor temp, or the temp under the hood. It also happens whether I'm in park or driving. At idle you won't hear it, but around 1000-1300 RPM it appears. Like you're crawling through your neighborhood looking for your dog at night.

I've looked into this before, and usually people suggest the timing chain wear as the cause. In my case, it does not sound like that. For my own special noise, it's much smoother sounding than the chain tensioner issue. It's also higher pitched, not 'gritty' at all in nature - like a smooth whistling noise. This is the kind of noise where I'll ask my girlfriend "do you hear that?" and she looks at me like I'm crazy, but it actually drives me nuts.

Any likely culprits that I should investigate first to rule out? My serpentine belt is quite new and the noise was present before the belt change. I was thinking maybe the alternator? Maybe a vacuum issue somewhere? I plan on having someone sit in the driver seat to give her a mild rev while I am underneath to try and pinpoint better.

I totally get that asking for help on a random noise is a lost cause, but I figured it was worth a shot in case this is a known thing that folks have dealt with and may have some starting point suggestions for me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
699 Posts
When was the last time you changed your oil? Some have experienced the same noise you describe when using certain brands of oil filters.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When was the last time you changed your oil? Some have experienced the same noise you describe when using certain brands of oil filters.
Yeah, thanks. I actually heard of this before. I've changed the oil several times since noticing the noise. I've used Nissan filters and aftermarket ones, but the noise hasn't changed. I guess it's possible that it's being caused by all of these filters. But in my mind hearing it unchanged across a few filters ruled that out for me.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
699 Posts
I would agree, sounds like you ruled out the oil filter.

Maybe try removing the fan belt to eliminate the accessories.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Mikidymac is correct.

Pull your serpentine belt off and determine if your noise is associated with your accessories.

Rule this option out before going forward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This mY or may not be related. Do you have an amp and aftermarket speakers? After installing these in my X I developed a ground loop hum which would whine up and down with the accelerator. I had to purchase some ground loop inhibitors to stop the whining.
Hope this helps you or someone else.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mikidymac is correct.

Pull your serpentine belt off and determine if your noise is associated with your accessories.

Rule this option out before going forward.
Any precautions that I need to take when doing this? I would imagine it's recommended to run the truck for a short period of time only, when the belt is off?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Correct.
Remove belt
Crank it up with a cold engine. Re not operating temp
Run listen shut it down.
Replace belt

·
Registered
773 Posts
Any precautions that I need to take when doing this? I would imagine it's recommended to run the truck for a short period of time only, when the belt is off?
Not gonna hurt anything. You wont have AC, your alternator wont be charging your battery and your water pump wont be circulating coolant. Running it a couple of minutes wont hurt anything, but just a few seconds will tell you if it's pulley related, like Hunter was alluding too. If the noise is gone with the belt off, by hand spin each pulley and you should be able to tell which one is bad. Depending on your mileage, might not be a bad idea to simply swap all of them. They are considered consumable items after all. But pulleys generally have more of a grumble than a whistle, but it's possible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct.
Remove belt
Crank it up with a cold engine. Re not operating temp
Run listen shut it down.
Replace belt
Got it. Thanks. I'll likely give this a go tomorrow. Was mainly worried about how the engine wouldn't be getting coolant circulated. Luckily it's also cold here this time of year. I am actually bringing the X into my local shop for spark plugs next week so I may mention the "weird whistle type noise that I hear from the front end" - I can see his eyes rolling already.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts