Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might remember my old thread about a Chevy Express that I had to take into the dealership several times for issues with cold starts and idling. We finally got it running right and my company decided to get rid of it. We traded it in on a 2016 Sprinter.

We have a 2012 Sprinter as well and decided to add another to the fleet. The 2016 has been giving me some headaches and has been in the shop several times now. At delivery, the windshield washer did not work, the power step would beep and throw a warning message that it hit an obstacle when it didn't, the collision warning would randomly come on. Well they got that stuff sorted after a few visits. The Sprinter techs suck. They replaced the washer pump but didn't plug it in, adjusted step sensor but didn't put panels back on, etc. etc.

Then I started having issues with the A/C freezing up at night. Took it in about 5 times for that. Each time they said they found a leak, or nothing was wrong with it. Finally they said there was a TSB from MB about wiring in a resistor inline to the compressor.....

Now it is in the shop due to the horn not working when the auto headlights come on. It has been in there 8 times now for this problem. They have replaced the horn, SAM Module, two fuse blocks. Still they say there is nothing wrong with it when I have video of it not working and have had it in their service drive twice now not working. The service director said I must not be honking the horn correctly and it is working as designed. He said I should not press where the horn buttons are on the sides, but press on the center of the airbag directly. I showed him video of me pressing everywhere as hard as I could without the horn working or erratically working. We had it in the service drive with the horn dead, turn the headlights off and the horn works, headlights on, horn quits again. He said "it is working as designed, come get it, we have other vehicles to work on." I was so pissed at him and said he needs to put all this in writing. That way when I get in a wreck I have proof that this vehicle has a malfunctioning safety feature and Mercedes can't figure out how to fix it. He told me "if you are not satisfied with it, trade it in."

I called MB USA and they are useless. They said "well there is nothing we can do. The dealer says it is working as designed." I asked about the 8 visits for just the horn etc. "Well, the dealer says they can't duplicate it and you need to go pick it up."

My company is reluctant on pursuing Lemon law, but I am pushing them that MB needs to purchase this van back. That, or I could get in a wreck, show that the horn was inop, and sue the hell out of MB and probably get a very nice settlement.

Think twice about buying from Hitler Motorwerks, errrr I mean Mercedes.

·
TNX Veteran & LPM
7,803 Posts
The Sprinters have always been junk. It was a cross breed between Mercedes, Ford, Dodge and Freightliner. I drove one for a bit for work years and years ago. I don't know why they ever had this crossbreed van, but it's too narrow for how high it sits and being rear-wheel is horrible in the winter. I was never a fan of them.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard they suck in snow. IF they would work correctly, I like them. So far in both the engine and trans has been great. The ride is superior to any other large people mover, power and economy are great. But typical European, all the damn electronics and modules are junk. The loaner I have, A/C froze up and keyless entry sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Gotta love spending that kind of money for that kind of service.

A buddy was considering a Sprinter but went with a Pro Master. I went out to Colorado and back in it, pretty nice for the price imo and fwd to boot.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I guess all dealers suck.

I would try the service manager (not just the s. writer), or the dealerships general manager - or if your on facebook post your issues there. If you have much of a following I bet you get a call back right away.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The director of Service was the dick. Sucks my company just said to hell with it, just go get it back. It's just a horn........

I'm not letting it go. MB said they have a few more things to look at.....

I found other horror stories about people with cars from Benz that had repeated problems and dealers refused / could not figure out. MBUSA was zero help and deferred them back to the dealers they had problems with. Each one that had any progress spent $$$ on attorneys.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tomorrow I am going to go look at a Ford Transit. I want to drive the Diesel and the 3.5 Twin Turbo one. One of our Sprinters is out of warranty and I do not want to deal with MB insane repair costs and poor reliability. Although the diesel engine has been great I am sure there is no cheap repair on it. There aren't any private repair shops around here that want to touch a Sprinter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We had a small RV on a 2007 Sprinter chassis with a V6 diesel. It drove well and climbed mountains easily, but after about a year the check engine light started coming on and it would go into limp home mode. We got rid of it and got most of our money back, then later got an older pre-EGR diesel pusher which we like a lot more than the Sprinter.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I almost sold my X to get a cargo/sprinter van for my business. Was getting sick of a trailer. The more I looked into the cargo vans I realized how much I was loosing with my X. Decided to keep her and get a legit enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've heard the best thing about owning a sprinter is you get to drive all of the MB loaner vehicles.

Which sucks, cause on paper a 4wd diesel sprinter wold be awesome.
The dealer here does not do loaners for Sprinter customers. If you demand it, they might put you in a loaner Sprinter that I guess they use for the shop. The one I have now has 8K miles, tire light, DEF fluid light, check engine, and smells like cigarette smoke and cheap cologne. Have I told how prestigious it is to own a MB?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went and drove a 3.5L Twin Turbo Transit today. It was alright...... Turbo lag, decent pickup, goes faster than it feels. But lacking a lot of technology features, no blind spot warning, collision prevention, alloy wheels (it is a dually though), no heated seats, climate control, backup camera is a joke screen is so small, dim and blurry, it's useless. No power sliding door. No HID or foglights. All of this I have on the Sprinter and like. Except the power door, not an option on Sprinters either.

Seating is much better than the sprinter, you can reconfigure somewhat and recline slightly, quieter, less rattles. The driver position sucks. Your feet feel really crammed and awkward on the pedals. I wish they would of had a diesel version for me to drive.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well Mercedes said it's ready come get it. The Service Manager said they could not diagnose it so they replaced a bunch of parts. The service advisor was on vacation. The paperwork however says that a representative came down and found the Steering Jacket Module not communicating with the Signal Acquisition Module.....They put in a new steering column, with all new switches, modules, etc.

Then gave it back to me with the steering wheel crooked.....:violent2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts