Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Members Running 34.4" Tires (or Tires Larger than 33" but NOT Larger than 34.4")

I wanted to be a part of this club after installing my 315/70/r17 BFG KO2s, Members Running 35" Tires or Larger,

I am starting this thread so members have a reverence and so that members can chime in if they have accomplished the big tire club or just wanna talk about it. If you know of any members that have 35's or larger then post up and i will add them to the list.
BUT I'm 0.1" below the technical 34.5" tire size cut off.

Missed it by this *-* much!

This has been discussed before. Technically you need a 34.5" or greater to be considered for the list. Mine are 34.6 or 34.8...I can't recall exactly. The problem is the title of the thread. In the literal sense you should only be on the list if you run 35"+ but 315/75R16 and 325/75R16 are more common sizes so most people are 34.6-34.8".

That's okay though, this is America and you can start your own club! So, I did!

Members running 34.4" Tires.

1. @SHIFT_X - BF Goodrich TA KO2 315/70/R17 - 34.4"
2. @knightrider - Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 315/70/R17 -34.4" (ETA: member currently on "forum vacation" until sometime in September)

Members running LARGER than 33" Tires, but NOT larger than 34.4" Tires

1. @Un4seen4 - BF Goodrich TA KO2 295/75/R16 - 33.4" (Has a thing for effervescent purple)
2. @Aaron Galloway - Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 255/85/R16 33.07" (Likes New Guinea Singing Dogs)
3. @Darth P4X - Cooper Discoverer A/T3 XLT 295/75R16 33.4" (LOVES giraffes)

Members running 35" Tires, but due to treadwear are NOW running LARGER than 33" Tires, but NOT larger than 34.4" Tires

1. @jsexton - Nitto Trail Grappler 315/75R16 34.8” NOW 34.375” (Australian For Beer)

Let me know if you're running 34.4" tires and YOU can be part of the 34.4" tire club list!
We can also talk about 34.4" tires. Or look at 34.4" tires.

Edited title to be more inclusive - It's 2018 after all.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Does the same "rounding up" rule apply here too? Meaning do tires 32.5" or greater diameter count? If so, 285/75/R16 would count too ;)

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Obnoxious effervescent purple.
Good answer.

In your build thread, you state that your tires are BF Goodrich TA KO2s 295/75/R16. Is this a factual statement?

If yes, then according to the BF Goodrich website your tires are 33.4" in diameter and you may join the Members Running 34.4" Tires (or tires larger than 33" but NOT larger Than 34.4") Club.

Welcome.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the same "rounding up" rule apply here too? Meaning do tires 32.5" or greater diameter count? If so, 285/75/R16 would count too ;)
Unfortunately, no. I have been burned by this methodology in the recent days and it's too fresh. The rounding hurts too much to make an exception.

Sorry.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Good answer.

In your build thread, you state that your tires are BF Goodrich TA KO2s 295/75/R16. Is this a factual statement?

If yes, then according to the BF Goodrich website your tires are 33.4" in diameter and you may join the Members Running 34.4" Tires (or tires larger than 33" but NOT larger Than 34.4") Club.

Welcome.

and its kinda wired that mfg specs and measured sizes never line up, on the wheel they are like 33.8, might be from being measured on 7.5" wheels vs 8". idk but yes i am in in the funny more than 285s but less than 34.5 range

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and its kinda wired that mfg specs and measured sizes never line up, on the wheel they are like 33.8, might be from being measured on 7.5" wheels vs 8". idk but yes i am in in the funny more than 285s but less than 34.5 range

That's the DANGER ZONE!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shouldn't there be a "members running 33's" (32.5 - 33.4) and then a "members running 34s" (33.5 - 34.4) and then a "members running 35s+" (34.4+?)

I'm confused what's going on here....

@ZheKing - I'm confused too, but this is the world we are presented with where a 315/70/r17 is not considered a members running 35" tires or larger.

If you want to change it, go forth sir, be a member tire size sorting revolutionary!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd like to welcome our newest member to the Members Running 34.4" Tires (or tires larger than 33" but NOT larger Than 34.4") Club!

Welcome @knightrider!!!
This member has been running 315/70/R17 Wrangler Duratracs for a few months now!

knightrider is currently on forum vacation until sometime in September.

Here's a photo from his vacation showing the 34.4" tires.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
What about tread wear? If you start out with say 17/32" tread depth, and wear them down to 9/32, you lose 1/2" diameter. Do you get kicked out of the club until you get new tires? >:)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Is there a minium/maximum PSI to consider as well? I heard some members have deliberately over inflated their tires to achieve the coveted 34.6". Would this be considered "doping" by the TNXTRBOD? (The New X Tire Review Board Of Directors)

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What about tread wear? If you start out with say 17/32" tread depth, and wear them down to 9/32, you lose 1/2" diameter. Do you get kicked out of the club until you get new tires? >:)
The Members Running 34.4" Tires (or tires larger than 33" but NOT larger Than 34.4") Club STRONGLY frowns upon fractions.

Please rephrase your question using the COMMONLY ACCEPTED George Washington Forehead Wrinkle Tread Depth Indication Guide.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is there a minium/maximum PSI to consider as well? I heard some members have deliberately over inflated their tires to achieve the coveted 34.6". Would this be considered "doping" by the TNXTRBOD? (The New X Tire Review Board Of Directors)
The Members Running 34.4" Tires (or tires larger than 33" but NOT larger Than 34.4") Club charter states that measurements of tire diameter can be achieved in whatever method furthers the progression of the tire size game. Elite tires were given natural gifts of tire diameter and it's this Club's thought that it is outside of its purview to govern how extra-ordinary tire diameters are achieved.

Plus, with only three members, we do not have the budget for testing.

Plus PLUS, it's 2018 and tires, even if they came out of the tire mold as 34.4", can identify as 34.6" if they want to. Our bathrooms include both diameters on a single sign.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts