Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to order a set of new tires for my X. I am going with a larger size so I'll need to do the melt mod. Anyone in the NOVA area that can help out? If you can provide the tools ill provide the beer or whatever you like. I can drive to you as well. Any takers? Any help appreciated. TIA!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You don't have a hair dryer and a 2x4 (I used a small blowtorch and a big rock) ? If I was anywhere near you I'd help out...maybe post up in your regional section for some help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
There's absolutely no way anyone is going to drive to you or set up time for that matter to do the melt mod. It takes 5 minutes with a heat gun or hair dryer and something to push the plastic in with then you throw water on it to cool the plastic.
It's like asking someone to come help you fold the seats down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts

I put my seats up for the first time in months, I didn't like it . . .

But he is right, really super easy to do. I mean, even on a real hot day you can push them in with ease. Thats what happened to mine, i was doing a tire rotation and pushed in the plastics all around - bam. I also managed to have a jack stand sink about 3 inches into the black top, but that's another issue.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
There's absolutely no way anyone is going to drive to you or set up time for that matter to do the melt mod. It takes 5 minutes with a heat gun or hair dryer and something to push the plastic in with then you throw water on it to cool the plastic.

Then again, there are some people in this world that should not own tools... Maybe the OP fits into that category. :munky2::toothy5:

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
good point man. Honestly though, lik Trex said - so crazy simple.

Really just need a hair dryer to warm up the plastic and push it in and spash water on it to cool down. I think this is the easiest possible mod someone can do for their X. You should be fine taking care of it yourself. Not that people don't want to help out, its just - somethings are just too simple.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
lufc1919 - while I understand you asking for help, there's nothing better than doing the work yourself and learning a little bit in the process. I did my melt mod in about 15 minutes with a $12 Harbor Freight heat gun and a 2 x 4, then threw water on it to cool it down and hold it in place. Yes, I melted the plastic a bit too much, but big deal. No one can see the melted parts and the tires don't rub.

Do it! Do it! Do it!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was more so the tools than the help. I'm away from home in a hotel right now so I dot have access to a heat gun or hair dryer and a 2x4. If I was back home it wouldn't be an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Did you ever think that this is the shy guy's way of trying to get to know the people around him? FWIW, I just took my splash guards out...the melt mod was a FAILURE for me because everyone is "It's so easy" but I found out after that the issue was really the metal was in the way for me because I had wheel spacers.

Sn0

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

I would help him if he was close by....Just because you won't help others doesn't mean others wont...

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I did mine by going to the gas station and pumping some up in the wheel well and then drove to a safe location and then tossed a match on it.

No plastic no problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts