Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing the 285/70-17's, they rubbed exactly as predicted - behind the front tires on the plastic fender liner. There really wasn't that much rubbing at all.

When I did the melt mod, I grabbed a $12 heat gun from Harbor Freight and a short 2x4 and started heating the plastic. It was 105 degrees outside and once I got the plastic hot, it pushed back easily but wouldn't stay. More heat and it would just bow back out. I tried letting it cool and just holding the wood against it, but it still would pop back out slightly.

I knew the problem was that it wasn't cooling fast enough, so I grabbed a bottle of water, heated the plastic up real good again, pushed the liner back and threw water on it to quickly cool the plastic. Voila! The plastic liner didn't move!

If you're going to do this mod, have some water handy to cool the plastic. It really helped.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
on line
10,980 Posts
If you're going to do this mod, have some water handy to cool the plastic. It really helped.
... or do the mod in a 40* garage ... that worked well for me.

:drink:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just pee on it. Like we use to do on manual hubs when they froze up :iconbiggrin:

I always wondered what they were doing???

·
Registered
478 Posts
What I took from this: $12 heat gun at harbor freight? How did I not know this?!
While you're there, and if you don't already have one, pick up the impact wrench for $40 (until the end of this month). Just got it recently and don't know why I didn't get one sooner. Just rotated the tires and already looking forward to the next time.

HF 20% off and coupons

1 - 8 of 8 Posts