Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Some random dude
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intro Comments: Hey all; Bought it Jan of 2017, mostly stock except for the aftermarket stereo head unit. I am planning a number of mods to it. Unfortunately I discovered this site, so the mods (and thus overall cost) have increased greatly... It will be a daily driver, but I am planning to do some wheeling so the mods will hopefully be a nice balance of the two.

Username: meisanerd

Nickname: The Banana. I originally wanted to go all bumble bee on it, but was outvoted by a number of my friends

Make: Umm, this should be obvious...
Model: As should this...
Year: 2006
Trim: Off Road 6MT
Color: Solar Yellow

MODS

Completed:
- stereo head unit with proper harness for the RF amp
- rear door struts
- rear wiper upgrade
- tires (Cooper ST MAXX 255/85r16)
- Rogue key mod
- locking wet box handle
- suspension (King coilovers with remote res, OME Dakar), ~2" of lift

In Progress:
- steering wheel stereo controls
- sunglasses holder
- rock sliders

Planned:
- front bumper
- rear bumper
- roof cargo basket (a la DepHep)
- garage door opener mod
- blacked out rims
- new exhaust
- skid plates

PHOTOS

Couple weeks after purchase:

Just before lift:

·
Some random dude
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best. Color. EVER :) There's a couple #clubEW3 in here ;-)

Looking forward to seeing how she builds up!
Yah, my friends all think its the best color too. Turns out I am really good at directions and finding places, so they just try to arrive a few minutes after me and look for the bright yellow....

I was looking at a few of the things you've done to yours, mine might end up being a bit similar. It is nice to be able to see how certain things end up looking on a yellow one, without having to spend my own money to do it.

Can't wait to see pics!
The only decent one I have so far is the one in my profile pic, and the file is somewhere on one of my other computers. I keep meaning to take a few more, but it is now spring here in Edmonton, which means snow by night, slush by day, and I feel it is cheating if I take a pic of the X when the dirt on it hasn't been properly earned.

·
Some random dude
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well yesterday was fairly productive. I managed to get around to installing the 16" rear wiper blade. It streaks a little bit, but not too bad; I am still trying to track down a properly sized spring, it is being a bit complicated to find here in Canada.

I also installed the new hatch struts, the door finally stays up all on its own.

·
Some random dude
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made an upgrade yesterday, did a poor mans lift...

Installed the ST MAXXs, which ended up being about 2" larger than the ones that came on it. As of yet, it doesn't even look like I will have to do the melt mod either. It looks way better with proper tires on it.

In the process, though, it was discovered that my front shocks are pretty much done, which means that someone is going to have to buy a lift kit a bit sooner than planned.

·
Some random dude
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got around to getting my Rogue key cut, and the transponder programmed yesterday. Took a while as I had to source the key from a friend, then find time to meet up with a locksmith to get it cut/programmed. The dealer said they would do it all for the low, low price of only $450 CAD for parts and labor.

I also found an old 2000ish Altima with a sunglasses holder at a wrecker, so now I just have to cut a hole in the headliner and install that. Yay for $4 in parts.

·
Some random dude
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installed the locking handle on my wet box last night, while I waited for my sliders to finish being welded. I plan on letting the sliders rust just a little bit, and then hitting them with some Por15 to turn them nice and black.

·
West North Central Regional Moderator
9,791 Posts
Welcome to the EW3 club!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Installed the locking handle on my wet box last night, while I waited for my sliders to finish being welded. I plan on letting the sliders rust just a little bit, and then hitting them with some Por15 to turn them nice and black.

Nice looking job your fabby did on the sliders! :) Very similar to the design I have in mind. Did you do bolt-on or weld?

·
Some random dude
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice looking job your fabby did on the sliders! :) Very similar to the design I have in mind. Did you do bolt-on or weld?
They are just bolt-on. I still haven't gotten around to painting and mounting yet, life got busy...

I based them off plans that I found somewhere on here, but had him add dimple plates on it as I am more worried about having steps than sliders, and am hoping it stops a bunch of the dirt and mud from being thrown from the tires onto the side of the vehicle.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I based them off plans that I found somewhere on here, but had him add dimple plates on it as I am more worried about having steps than sliders, and am hoping it stops a bunch of the dirt and mud from being thrown from the tires onto the side of the vehicle.
Yeah my main goal is steps as well, just more durable and higher ground clearance than the OE step rails.

Is this the design here?
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/23-exterior/75465-diy-rock-sliders-%2Acpl%2A.html

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yup. The PDF is on Page 3, Post #22
Yup found it. The plans never got updated after that preliminary one was posted though. They haven't replied about it since 2013 when they indicated the design needed a different mount on the driver side. I don't know what happened there or whether they are saying the design is free for the rest of us to use.

·
Some random dude
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup found it. The plans never got updated after that preliminary one was posted though. They haven't replied about it since 2013 when they indicated the design needed a different mount on the driver side. I don't know what happened there or whether they are saying the design is free for the rest of us to use.
The driver side is just a mirror image, any fab guy should be able to figure it out. And I thought it said somewhere in the thread that it was free to use, but I could be wrong about that...

·
Registered
563 Posts
The driver side is just a mirror image, any fab guy should be able to figure it out. And I thought it said somewhere in the thread that it was free to use, but I could be wrong about that...
The OP indicated the mount on the driver side could not be the same as shown in the plan for the passenger side because it interfered with the gas tank:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/23-exterior/75465-diy-rock-sliders-*cpl*-3.html#post1209562
Their only post after that was a month later that they were still too busy to finish it so we don't know how it turned out on their X (also a 2006).

Doesn't sound like it was a huge issue, more to do with how to clamp to the framerail than the design of the slider itself. Maybe post some pics of your sliders in that thread to show how your fabby solved it? I haven't seen anyone else post finished photos of that design yet so you may be the first! :)

·
Some random dude
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The OP indicated the mount on the driver side could not be the same as shown in the plan for the passenger side because it interfered with the gas tank:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/23-exterior/75465-diy-rock-sliders-*cpl*-3.html#post1209562
Their only post after that was a month later that they were still too busy to finish it so we don't know how it turned out on their X (also a 2006).

Doesn't sound like it was a huge issue, more to do with how to clamp to the framerail than the design of the slider itself. Maybe post some pics of your sliders in that thread to show how your fabby solved it? I haven't seen anyone else post finished photos of that design yet so you may be the first! :)
As far as I could tell, it was the same issue that is for all bolt-on sliders. We drilled a hole in the frame for the gas tank mount, and you just have to cut off a bolt and put something on the end to protect the gas tank from rubbing on the end, or figure out a way to fish a nut in the inside of the frame.

If you weld them on (entirely possible as well, I just wanted the ability to remove them to re-paint), it won't be an issue at all. You could also simplify the mounting for that, and wouldn't need those 2 small (one per side) plates that back the bolt for the front mount.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts