Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

MeHere!'s Grey Beast

14K views 80 replies 12 participants last post by  JamesOfCarson 
#1 · (Edited)
Intro Comments: I'm finally setting up my build thread.

The goal is a nice lil adventure rig, nothing too crazy or extreme, just some weekend off-road camping maybe some dunes on the Cape.

I myself am in Accounts Receivable, no mechanical or body background, the old man however was a mechanic and body man he's retired now so he's like always available with knowledge and a crap ton o' tools, (could do w/o the inclined driveway!!)

Between this site, Ry the Car Guy on YouTube and the old man there's not much we shouldn't be able to do on our own.

Username: MeHere!

Make: Nissan
Year: 2010
Model: XTerra
Trim: X
Color: Midnight Armor

MODS

Electrical:
Lights
40” Light Bar
Roof - Purchased
20-30” Light Bar
Rear basket
6 Spots
2 Side Basket, 2 Grill
Speakers
Radio – Completed
Back up Cam – Purchased
Power Inverter
Rear cargo hold mount
Horn – Wish Listed
Dual Battery Set up - Wish Listed
Digital Volt Meter – Purchased
Empty spot above power outlet
Interior LED’s – Installed
On Board Air - Wish Listed
Wheel well mount

Body/Chassis:
Old Man Emu Kit – Installed
Tires AT General Grabbers
Rear Bumper
Maxterra
Tire Carrier
Jerry Can Carrier
Front Bumper
Winch Mount
Brakes - Completed
Roof Drop-In Basket
Homemade
Retractable Awning
Shower
Bedliner Bumper Guards
Bedliner Paint Job - Wish Listed
Grey/black/red
Stealth Wheels - Completed
Rock Sliders – Rocky Mountain Purchased
Skid Plates
Wind Guards
In-Track
XDS
XTerrra Drawer System
Tool Draw
Storage
Stowage
Rocker Switches
USB
Winch

Overhead Console:
Wooden
Garmin InReach
Video Mount - Wish Listed
CB Radio - Wish Listed
Stowage
Rocker Switch Panel - Wish Listed
6 Gang
Xterra Specific Rockers
LED Bar – Purchased
Grille Bar - Wish Listed
Side Lights - Wish Listed

Road Gear:
Hi-lift Jack
Rack Mount
Tire Kit
Winch Kit
Shovel
Rack Mount
MaxTrax Wish Listed
Rack Mount
Axe – Purchased
Fire Extinguisher - Wish Listed
Jerry Cans
Rear Bumper Mount

Campsite Gear:
Chuck Box
First-Aid Kit - Wish Listed
Thrasharoo - Wish Listed
Tent
Chairs
Tables
Clothes Line

Fun Stuff:
GoPro - Wish Listed
Drone - Purchased
RC Truck – Purchased
Games

Comments: Anywho, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

PHOTOS
|

Attachments

See less See more
#12 · (Edited)
TY Sir!!!

Spent last night working on the overhead console project, I now have the headliner outlined and traced onto poster board. Next up make a decision on a CB so I can get the dimensions, am thinking about the Cobra 29LX, anyone have this one and thoughts?

#13 ·
You gotta love the curves of our headliners...this is the front section, reaches to just past the last big "bump"

Now to find a CB that I like that'll fit in there, still deciding if I can keep the current map lights or have to switch them out for CB clearance

Attachments

#16 ·
Speaking as someone who just finished doing the LED mod I'd vote don't do it with this other stuff and wait until you have a clear weekend where you can focus on just it.

None of the stuff you have to remove to get the cluster out is difficult or time consuming, takes under 10 min. I just know with that heater core replacement you'll have stuff everywhere to keep track of and trying to switch from that to something delicate like the cluster leds will prob lead to frustration from not doing as good of a job on it as you want to.

#23 ·
Upgrade the 10awg wire to at least 6awg, but since you are using #4 for the main leader, go ahead and use 4awg for the rest of the run. It will save you more time as well and money because you can buy more of the same lug sizes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#22 ·
A list in no particular order:

1. Your winch needs to go off the main battery directly (including the ground). It will pop all those circuit breakers each time you use it the way you have it.

2. Are you sure you need a 200a circuit breaker? To give you an idea, my BlueSea fuse block is rated for 100a, I have a 90a circuit breaker since I don't want to run the full 100a to the terminal fuse block. In other words, the circuit breaker should be rated just under the max output of one of the boxes so that it will trigger first instead of a meltdown at one of the boxes.

3. The switch set for the rear should go through the relay box and not through the dashboard set (maybe you will do this, just the diagram suggests it is going through the dashboard set).

4. There needs to be a ground connecting the two batteries and fuses before the controller. I've attached an example of my National Luna kit diagram as a reference.

#25 ·
I keep reading conflicting reports on where the winch should be wired, some say to main, then some say to Aux as with the Iso if one dies the other takes over...but can run that right from main

Used advice from Taylor Spaulding on the 20 AMP Circ brkr in the bay the split in the cab, can't hurt?

Yes the rear switches would be directly trough the relax not the set

And Yes I did forget to show the ground for the batt to batt I am saving for the hand drawn version once I have everything in hand

#24 ·
Also, oba usually used larger guage wire. You won't be able to run it only off the switch panel. You'll need the trigger wire to go to the switch, and the home run power wire ( large gauge wire) to go to the battery.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Well you could run all the lights on the one and still be within spec, LED's don't draw much amperage. Add up their totals and see where it's at. The air compressor as mentioned will (or should) draw its power from the battery so that's not an issue anymore, even if the signal switch goes through the box. On the other side you need to check what the CB and air horn draw but likely less than anything to worry about.

#42 ·
Been having a running debate with myself on Raptor Lining my X, I am def going to do so now am debating on scheme

I love the Grey and I wants some red (subtle) highlights, and thinking of Grey body, black on the "plastic" with a possible pinstripe in red

Googled two tone Xterra's as well may do the black on the lower 3rd of the body

Thoughts?

Kinda crappy image
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.