Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after putting a few miles on my X, I feel like it needs to sound meaner. More like Infiniti FX's or G35's. What makes them sound so damn good compared to the stock system in the X? I mean they have similar VQ engines so it shouldn't be hard to get ours to sound as good.

Anyway, I thought this could be a thread for people to post all of the exhaust sounds, specs and video. :cheers:

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Might have something to do with the engine size and the dual exhaust, but I'm no expert on this, I'm sure the other guys here will chime in on this one.
:drunken:

·
on line
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the FX35's right? They have a V6. Anyway, the G35 is more of the sound I am looking for. I always hear them take off and am impressed by their sound.

·
on line
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I've been doing my own research here, so I'll do my best to get this info out there and add more as it comes along...

Magnaflow Stainless Cat Back System - Part # 16654
$475 on ebay (cheapest I could find)
+ 9hp
+12 ft/lbs
Sounds like this frontier with the dual magnaflow system most likely.

Gibson SS System - Part #612216 ('06)
$600 but includes Y-pipe
~6hp + ~6tq
Here's a video of the Gibson SS in action

Dynomax Ultra Flo Cat Back System - Part # 19443
$415 at autopartswarehouse

Flowmaster Exhaust

I'd like to get more info and sound clips before making any decisions...

·
on line
1,208 Posts
I have the magnaflow exhaust and am very happy with it.

Magnaflow Stainless Cat Back System - Part # 16654
$475 on ebay (cheapest I could find)
here is a link to the only videos I have. This one is the better of the two. It has a nice low rumble to it under 2000RPM. Here is the second, having fun in some muddy water but it still has some exhaust note. The RPMs get up around 3500 on this video so you hear more range of the system. I really like this system, even when under full skinny and the RPMs hit 5000 the note never gets ricey.

·
on line
55 Posts
I don't see how you can gain HP with a cat-back system. Unless you install a full exhaust system with high-flow cat(s), you're not gaining much if any. At least this is the case with my STi but I don't see how the X would be any different.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
You won't see drastic changes as with a complete exhaust replacement. But you'll still notice some change. From personal experience, keeping stock piping and only replacing the muffler with an Ultraflo made some noticeable changes. I'm not saying huge gains in HP but enough for me to notice a real (not imagined) difference.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
StarGazer said:
I don't see how you can gain HP with a cat-back system. Unless you install a full exhaust system with high-flow cat(s), you're not gaining much if any. At least this is the case with my STi but I don't see how the X would be any different.
If you take a look at the stock "Y" pipe, the cat back makes a huge difference in the X. The factory took both pipes and squeezed them into a single 2" pipe...POS

·
on line
32 Posts
Which make and model of muffler is sugested for a muffler swap using the stock Y Pipe and Exit Pipe? I want it more for sound becasue I know that just changing the muffler wont make much power or mpg difference.

Thanks for the help.

·
on line
63 Posts
I did a lot of leg work before I got mine on this site and on some Frontier sites and I also called Stillen and talked with them. I wanted good sound, but my goal was power.

I originally wanted the Gibson because it came with a Y-pipe, but after talking with Stillen and reading on the Frontier boards, I decided to go with Magnaflow, which doesn't come with a Y-Pipe and then get a custom Y made (which will be in 2 weeks). The general consensus was Gibson sounded better, but Magnaflow made more power...

Honestly, you won't be disappointed with either, so go with whatever you get the best deal on... then take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it up.

my .02

·
on line
564 Posts
You guys that are installing these aftermarket exhaust systems could really help us all out and do a before and after dyno run. I've been hot-rodding cars for many years and most aftermarket power increase claims are very optimistic. If we could get some hard before/after data on these different exhausts it would clear up alot of confusion and guess work.

Rob

·
on line
1,716 Posts
robnfl said:
You guys that are installing these aftermarket exhaust systems could really help us all out and do a before and after dyno run. I've been hot-rodding cars for many years and most aftermarket power increase claims are very optimistic. If we could get some hard before/after data on these different exhausts it would clear up alot of confusion and guess work.

Rob
Sure...I accept donations to cover the price. :geek:

The available dynos in the area are ridiculously expensive.

·
on line
63 Posts
Amen to that... I would have loved to do the dyno, but couldnt justify the $250!
As for the claims, I also agree, I would think 3-5hp to the wheels, maybe 8-10hp for top of the line custom system for the X w/cats.

·
on line
192 Posts
robnfl said:

Rob
There are to many variables at stake to get some accurate before/after numbers, the differences in temperature, humidity, sea level alone are going to change the numbers from one X to the next.

You will gain HP by freeing up the exhaust, thats just the way it is, but the increase is not going to bethe same from one vehicle to the next. That is why most manufactures will say "HP gains from 10-18hp"

·
on line
564 Posts
Lonesome Crow said:
Sure...I accept donations to cover the price. :geek:

The available dynos in the area are ridiculously expensive.
boholio said:
Amen to that... I would have loved to do the dyno, but couldnt justify the $250!
As for the claims, I also agree, I would think 3-5hp to the wheels, maybe 8-10hp for top of the line custom system for the X w/cats.
Yeah, I know they are usually freak’n expensive! But, in most areas the local speed shops will usually have a dyno day of some sorts where they try to get a bunch of people to run their cars on the dyno for a discount…like $50 a run.

travis said:
There are to many variables at stake to get some accurate before/after numbers, the differences in temperature, humidity, sea level alone are going to change the numbers from one X to the next.

You will gain HP by freeing up the exhaust, thats just the way it is, but the increase is not going to bethe same from one vehicle to the next. That is why most manufactures will say "HP gains from 10-18hp"
Yes, I realize that there are a lot of variables, but most dynos will give corrected numbers for those variables…but either way you can still get an idea of what type of power (hp and tq) increase, if any, an aftermarket exhaust will provide. What’s more important than the raw numbers is the before and after hp and tq curves. Since most of us aren’t planning on drag racing our X, it would serve us better if the aftermarket exhaust provided an increase in torque in the lower portion of the rpm band. Unfortunately, quite the opposite usually occurs when you "open up" the exhaust. Most aftermarket exhaust systems will increase power, but only in the upper rpm's and usually with a decrease in torque in the lower rpm's.

Rob

·
on line
166 Posts
Dynometers are inherently inaccurate for proving power gains from modifications...

In a lot of experience, the true way to tell power gains is the MPH in the 1/4 mile track, not the ET. So, spend $10 and get us some before and after MPH times :)

·
on line
564 Posts
Wiggum said:
Dynometers are inherently inaccurate for proving power gains from modifications...

Hmm....or could it be the modifications were'nt producing the expected power gains?

Rob

·
on line
166 Posts
No, not really. The problem with dynometers is that "real life" scenarios are never generated, even with the large fans in front of it. Cars run much different when driving, than they do when they are spinning dynometer wheels. I came from the "tuner" industry specializing in turbocharged vehicles (Kind of glad i'm back to the mellow, drive the SUV, relax, off-road a little lifestyle) and in that particular industry dyno numbers are almost everything when selling to consumers, but they don't tell actual real life scenarios. In fact, i would not be suprised if someone dynoed an intake for the Xterra and the numbers came back lower than stock, because of the massive heatsoak from sitting in one place (Once again, even a large fan can't reproduce driving conditions).

I won't get into the technical aspects of why they don't work to show performance gains, but I can say with 100% certainty to provide a good picture of expected daily gains seen from a modification, the MPH in the 1/4 track is a good one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts