Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought TJM Coilovers and the Nisstec UCA's for the front of my 2006 X. I also bought the camber bolts and I had to replace the LCA's. My mechanic has installed a bunch of lifts before but mainly does drag racing stuff (besides normal car repairs). I don't know a lot about this stuff (the reason he is doing it) but he's saying that he has the bolts maxed out and is still about an inch off of alignment. He brought it to another friends shop to check it and they had the same conclusion. He's going to call Nisstec himself and do some more research but I figured I would ask here. Any thoughts?

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just saw the instructions on the Nisstec site...gonna bring it to him to make sure he looked at it. I assume it was in the kit boxes, I never even opened it, just brought it to him.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
An inch off? Where? What adjustment?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The Nisstec/Light racing UCAs are adjustable and should be used with the stock non-adjustable LCA bolts.
you still need the cam bolts to get it into spec. unless you change the caster from stock settings, you're going to hit the coil bucket with the ball joint before you reach the proper camber setting.

btw, I am only about 25 minutes from beacon....where are you getting the truck worked on? maybe I can be of assitance...let me know

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm heading over there tomorrow. I think I know what he did wrong. Looks like he has the brass (color anyways) adjustable piece backwards. That would seem to fix the issue from a common sense/visual look anyways. I checked this agains the instructions too.

I'm right in Beacon, lived in the Hudson Valley all my life. I used to own the Bike Shop here in Beacon, now I have my Land Surveying office here.

Do you guys wheel around here at all? I used to know a few good old roads back when I had my '01 X but I don't know if they are still passable. Mount Beacon is pretty off limits to me even though a lot of guys wheel up there. Too involved with the Parks Dept. for Mtn. Bike Trails and with surveying to get busted up there. Same with 909.

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: Mechanic fixed the ball joint plate to face the right way but still could not get it aligned...So I drove it to the local Mavis Tire Shop...They took about an hour and got it pretty dialed in...drives great right now! Just have to do the melt mod and I'm good to go!

Tom

·
on line
7,144 Posts
I'd find a different grease monkey next time

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
....and he installed the shims backwards...seems like it would be common sense on how they should go.

New (and highly recommended) mechanic working on it now.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Hey Tom, I PM'd you but havent heard from you....where are you having your truck worked on now? I'm gonna need an alignment done prob next week and I'm open to try a new place. Let me know please...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts