1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
on line
1,320 Posts
everyone i know has had good experience with them... good treadlife even on the buckshot mudders. The bighorn is a badass tire; as soon as my stockers are done that's what i'm getting.
They use the bighorn on their offroad race trucks so it's tough as nails.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
My brother has a set of buckshot mudders. He's had good luck with them. They have the same tread pattern as the BFG MT's.

·
on line
807 Posts
I dont think the lower price is a quality issue, i've only ever heard good things. I think it is more of a name issue, Maxxis has been around forever in the bicycle/dirtbike/atv world, but is new to the truck world, so they probably arent jacking their prices as high for profit as a company like BFG.

·
on line
11 Posts
I have the bighorns. They havent left me standed yet on the trails. The only thing is the manufactor recomends running a high tire pressure on these things. Like 45 to 50. I run about 36 in mine and have had no problems.

Irish

also I have the 285/75/r16

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The one thing about the Buckshot vs the BFG MT's is the Buckshot lack the sidewall lugs. I also have not looked close enough to see how many ply the Buckshots are. The BFG MT's (in the 285/75R16 veriety) are 8 ply. I put a good 1/4" deep gash in my sidewall back in July and it still held air (it's now my spare).

·
on line
2,938 Posts
the buckshots come in 6 and 8 ply.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
one thing about the Buckshot vs the BFG MT's is the Buckshot lack the sidewall lugs
... but the bighorn's do have 8ply and side lugs

i just can't get past the price of BFG's... and Good Year for that matter.

bighorn 285/75r16... $114ea and 265/75 for $101 at selcttire.com... that's incredible!

·
on line
238 Posts
I had the Buckshots on my Wrangler and didn't like them very much. They wore out around 35k miles and road rougher than a BFG Mud Terrain. They also had more "squirm" than a BGF MT because the void is more and the lugs are a little smaller per the same size tire. The mud tire that I like the most next to a BFG MT that I've used was a Donlup Radial Mud Rover. A little softer in the sidewall, but seemed just as strong as the BFG MT. I also got around 65-70k miles out of them before they started cupping too bad and low on tread. My next tire to look at for the Xterra are the Coopers. Well regarded tire as best I know (somebody tell me more if there are other opinions).

Dan

Edit: Searched on Coopers and aparently people don't care for them as much as I thought.

·
on line
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So for those who have them how is the road noise and tread life? I do like BFG M/T but for that price I can buy two of these tires so that kind of doubles the tread like kinda :p Oh and I am going to keep my stock size due to the front diff.
Thanks for the replies y'all,

-G

·
on line
844 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
one thing about the Buckshot vs the BFG MT's is the Buckshot lack the sidewall lugs
... but the bighorn's do have 8ply and side lugs

i just can't get past the price of BFG's... and Good Year for that matter.

bighorn 285/75r16... $114ea and 265/75 for $101 at selcttire.com... that's incredible!
how noisy are them shits on the highway though?

·
on line
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that's what I want to know

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You are buying a mud tire, does it really matter how loud they are on the road? Honestly, in the new X's they are so well insulated you can't hear MT's on the street.

·
on line
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Y'all, now I just have to figure out which one do I get the buckshot or bighorn. Thanks for all your help.

-G

·
on line
315 Posts
I haven't ever used a Maxxis Buckshot, but I saw a set (33's) on an SE climb up a slippery rock like it was cake. It was incredible. The tires were ALL on rock, no dirt, they slipped a little, but combined with the ABLS (and some ballz on the part of the driver), the truck went right up the thing.

A 4runner on AT's but without ABLS was unable to make it up the rock.

I know they are mud tires but I'm just relaying what I saw because I was impressed...

·
on line
186 Posts
I've heard good things about the Buckshots from various jeep forums. Haven't heard too much about the Bighorns, but I think that is what I'm gonna go with here when i need new tires.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Once my BFG's wear out I am going to look at my brothers Buckshots. If they are still in decent shape, I think I am going with them (he puts a lot less miles on his truck than I do).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts