Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

My Maxterra bumper latch was in bad shape for awhile. Corroded and the spring had broken. Leaving the swing gate to unexpectedly pop open during driving. I finally found the part number for a replacement, which is a Southco A2-10-501-21, but I knew there had to be a better option.

There was, RIGd supply makes mainly Toyota parts (surprise, surprise). And they designed a replacement for the standard latch. The Ultra-latch.

For a long time they didn’t sell it seperately. But after a few calls over a couple of month they finally started selling it. A couple of emails later. Here ya go. Its a dramatic improvement. Solid, definitive locking mechanism, and customizable grips. I had to get new bolts to go with it, as the included hardware is too big for the holes in the bumper. I went with 1/4-20 x 3/4 socket had cap screws for added length to offset the thicker latch plate. Note my original hardware was fine pitch thread but I could only fine coarse pitch. It went fine but I’m sure I just rethreaded the holes, so there’s that. I’d say I’d you’re looking for a replacement latch. Hit theses guys up, they were really easy to work with.

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Trunk Luggage and bags

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper

· Registered
3,263 Posts
That’s a beautiful piece of hardware. But $140?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A bit pricey, but an upgrade for sure.
An unintentional swing out of the arm while driving could cause more damage than the cost of the latch.

· Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
112 Posts
Price shown on the website as of this writing is $100 which is a bargain. However you have to be one of their customers in order to purchase. So, no help to me.

· TNX Veteran
4,947 Posts
This is amazing. I have been using my latch with a hitch pin in the hole to make sure it doesn't fly out while driving (it has probably 5+ times when I forget to put the pin in). But like @chazz says I can't order :(

Maybe we all have to bug them?

· Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
112 Posts
This is amazing. I have been using my latch with a hitch pin in the hole
I was paranoid about my swing carrier opening inadvertently and me forgetting to set a hitch pin. So I designed my closer mechanism with two Southco latches. One is the standard compression draw closer and the other is an automotive style rotary push latch. So you just slam it like a car door and then close the draw latch. It was not possible for me to study the kinematics of this complex motion in CAD ahead of time so I was pleasantly surprised when I put it together and it worked perfectly. I would share the project but it’s just so ugly I’m embarrassed.

To be really useful for me, I would not just need RIGd to sell me the part but also provide the CAD assembly file which I’ll bet they would never do.

· Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
476 Posts
I was paranoid about my swing carrier opening inadvertently and me forgetting to set a hitch pin. So I designed my closer mechanism with two Southco latches. One is the standard compression draw closer and the other is an automotive style rotary push latch. So you just slam it like a car door and then close the draw latch. It was not possible for me to study the kinematics of this complex motion in CAD ahead of time so I was pleasantly surprised when I put it together and it worked perfectly. I would share the project but it’s just so ugly I’m embarrassed.

To be really useful for me, I would not just need RIGd to sell me the part but also provide the CAD assembly file which I’ll bet they would never do.
Can I get a pic of your latch mechanism?

· Registered
476 Posts
I have been using cheap amazon latches on my home built one for a while. On latch number 2 in 8 months so far as they seem to just relax constantly. I'm not worried about it swinging out while driving. I have a catch that will stop it and I'll pull over. I can also lasso mine shut on my recovery points if needed in an emergency.

This latch intrigues me but I currently would have to weld up that type of connection retention feature. I like it though.

· Registered
102 Posts
I told you, it’s too ugly to share. But I think the idea is sound. Also, because it’s me, it’s overly complicated. You can see the CAD version.
Wow there's a lot going on there. I just designed and bought for the Southco A2-10-501-21. But I kinda wish I could have gotten my hands on this Rig'd one. I think I'm going to add a spring plunger somewhere for redundancy: McMaster-Carr

Southco A2-10-501-21 on Amazon, $82
Line Engineering Space Font Carmine

· Registered
476 Posts
Wow there's a lot going on there. I just designed and bought for the Southco A2-10-501-21. But I kinda wish I could have gotten my hands on this Rig'd one. I think I'm going to add a spring plunger somewhere for redundancy: McMaster-Carr

View attachment 147333

View attachment 147333

Thanks for that. I can implement that one super easy on mine as I have pretty much that exact setup(I just used 2x3 tube for main beam is only real difference)...

· Registered
749 Posts
That looks sweet! I do not believe that bumper latch handle upgrade will work on the HC OffRoad swing out tire carrier bumper. The latching design is different. Would be nice though.

· Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
1,188 Posts
Oh wow this looks great ! I was looking for something like that but that price is way to much for me..
I just finished building my rear bumper btw )) but I just went with this latch and after small modification to it it works perfect and for way better price.. ( for me )

but thank you for sharing I will send this too some of my friends maybe they want it

· Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
1,188 Posts
Get yourself a spare ubolt for that latch. On a recent trip a friend's ubolt broke on a similar latch. We had to jury-rig a solution to keep his tire swing in place. It was the last day of our trip so it was just enough to get back to paved roads.
you talking about this ubolt ? how and where did it brake ?
good thing they are cheap so if thats the case I might pick up another one.
Automotive lighting Bicycle part Gas Bicycle accessory Electrical wiring

1 - 20 of 36 Posts