Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the cooler months upon us I noticed my hatch support struts were definitely becoming weaker. In addition my rear hatch was failing to lift as high as it once did.

Yes, it was time to do something to improve this problem before I become aggravated or injured.

After checking my local auto parts stores I learned the average price per strut is apx $40.

Thankfully a coworkers recommended that I see what Amazon offered.

To be honest, I was surprised to see I could purchase a full set from Maxpow for less than one at my parts store.

I've been taken before, and I wasn't going to spend a dime until I did some research. Surprisingly, the general opinion on tbe forum was rather positive. There were more than a few of our members which installed this item onto their own xterras and have not needed to replace them for 3+ years.

Ok, $18.99 spent followed by a couple days wait and my new struts were at my door.

Initial opinion is very positive.
Items arrived at my house safely
Installation was simple and straight forward.
The new struts are definitely an improvement over what they replaced.

I don't know how long these items will last, but I couldn't be any better pleased with how they are currently performing

Best of all, this item is currently on sale for $17.99 for anyone that's interested.

·
TNX Veteran
4,087 Posts
I also had a similar parts store experience. It really is too bad :( I like to shop locally, even if it means paying a few $$ more for the same part. But fiscally it makes ZERO sense to pay $80 for something you can get for $18 (and it goes straight to your door, to boot).

Anyway, I have the same ones. It's been nearly 2 years now and they are solid.Made a huge difference for me because in the colder winter I kept bonking my head on the trunk with the sagging old ones.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Albatrosscafe.
I agree 100%

I will gladly spend a few dollars more at a local store, but I cannot afford this sort of markup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With the cooler months upon us I noticed my hatch support struts were definitely becoming weaker. In addition my rear hatch was failing to lift as high as it once did.

Yes, it was time to do something to improve this problem before I become aggravated or injured.

After checking my local auto parts stores I learned the average price per strut is apx $40.

Thankfully a coworkers recommended that I see what Amazon offered.

To be honest, I was surprised to see I could purchase a full set from Maxpow for less than one at my parts store.

I've been taken before, and I wasn't going to spend a dime until I did some research. Surprisingly, the general opinion on tbe forum was rather positive. There were more than a few of our members which installed this item onto their own xterras and have not needed to replace them for 3+ years.

Ok, $18.99 spent followed by a couple days wait and my new struts were at my door.

Initial opinion is very positive.
Items arrived at my house safely
Installation was simple and straight forward.
The new struts are definitely an improvement over what they replaced.

I don't know how long these items will last, but I couldn't be any better pleased with how they are currently performing

Best of all, this item is currently on sale for $17.99 for anyone that's interested.

So to confirm, both shocks for $18? I've been looking for options to replace the units.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, both supports for $18
This is how they will be delivered to you.

Reactions: iridebikes

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
107 Posts
I also have the MaxPows, they were one of the first "mods" I did. They've been working great, but definitely slowed down when I installed my gobi ladder the other day.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm confident McMaster offers a superior product, however I suspect the Maxpow will fit my needs just fine

Reactions: NWCoffeeGuy

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put a set of these on my rig a couple of weeks ago...very happy with how well they work...definitely better than the seven year old struts that they replaced...the old struts would open the hatch, but I had to push it up to get underneath it...the new struts push it up all the way...I have another four inches of clearance under the hatch.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^^^
My same thoughts.
Time will confirm if Maxpow is a true value or not, but you cannot beat the price.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had my MaxPows on for 2 years and running. I'm on the coast so a bit of surface rust on the black covers but they are STRONG. I would not hesitate to buy again if I needed to.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Just a Hunter
1 - 12 of 12 Posts