Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Xterra buddy (who's a master wheeler) says to maintain the stock rake (meaning stock lift ratio front to back). So whether you lift or not, for maximum aerodynamics and thus traction and handling, we should maintain the 0.5 inch of stock rake.

Sounds reasonable to me, what say thenewXers.
Patrick

·
on line
617 Posts
While that my be interesting to manufacturers who are trying to eek every 1/100mpg from a vehicle, it makes no difference with an X. It doesn't generate sufficient speed or lift for the rake of the vehicle to make any difference in handling or mpg. You will create more of an issue with center of gravity and aerodynamic drag by adding a lift regardless of rake.

-Old Army

·
on line
63 Posts
What makes a person "a master wheeler"?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Xterra, Aerodynamics !!! NIKE shoeboxes, aren't much faster--

--Like muddyjack says--"master Wheeler" as defined by WHO ???

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
muddyjack said:
What makes a person "a master wheeler"?
Well in this case, 15 years of experience, and at least two stories of year of pulling people out of a situation where his custom SLR suspension Gen I Xterra is the lesser of the two 4x4s. Dare I say, a couple decades of mountain biking has improved his trail reads. I'm sure there are others with more knowledge, but his skill and ability as a driver are scarey good.

Patrick

·
on line
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JIMBO said:
:clown: Xterra, Aerodynamics !!! NIKE shoeboxes, aren't much faster--

--Like muddyjack says--"master Wheeler" as defined by WHO ???

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO
Aerodynamics resistance is not linear with speed, so just a little change gets amplified a huge amount at 70 mph. I like the idea of using the engineering work we've already payed for.

Patrick

·
on line
4,919 Posts
I had the correct rake with my setup until the rear springs sagged. Once I put on the shrock front bumper, I got my rake back, but I'm a half inch lower that I should be. Personally, at this point, I could care less how aerodynamic my X is, or how it handles. With all of the added weight, I am definately not building it for speed :thumbright:

·
on line
853 Posts
Aerodynamics? Even stock these thing probably have the flight/glide characteristics of a large cinder block. With my "poser" roof rack and shovel on all the time I'm sure it's even worse than that.

That said, the rear of my X does seem to sit a bit lower than the front, I'll probably have to get a new front bumper to level it out.

·
on line
853 Posts
mcampana said:
Hey FRANKB, make sure you add an ax to the poser roof rack to complete the poserness.
I don't have a large ax, just a small hatchet that I keep in the back with the folding sven (tree) saw. The other side of the Yak rack has the high lift brackets, but that only goes on when I'm going somewhere I might need it. As for the shovel, when people ask I just remind them that I'm of Sicilian descent, or mention that I never know when I might need to bury something. Either of those generally shuts down that part of the conversation pretty quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts