Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldnt find the answer to this Q by searching so here goes.

I have an 05 SE. I wanted to go a little bigger than stock replacement if I can. How big can I go with no mods, without any rubbing, and assume 100% street usage?

I kinda have an affinity for TA all terrains, but the size was the more important Q.

Thanks in advance for any answers,

John

·
on line
809 Posts
I just installed cooper S/T 255/58-16's and it did not rub on the way home. Any larger in diameter would need something to prevent rubbing.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
import silvia said:
I just installed cooper S/T 255/58-16's and it did not rub on the way home. Any larger in diameter would need something to prevent rubbing.
Did you mean 255/85/16? I've been looking at this tire but haven't committed yet. What is the speed rating on this tire? Someone told me N. Check yours out and let me know. Also, post a review of them after some miles in the Tire Review post.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Remember this guy has 17" rims because he has an SE, he doesnt have 16" rims (XVT has it right). so either 285/70/17 or 255/80/17 ..... I dont think anyone has tried the last size yet, but it should fit.

The first is a little wider (about an inch) and the second is a little taller (about half an inch).

·
on line
809 Posts
buxwheat said:
import silvia said:
Did you mean 255/85/16? I've been looking at this tire but haven't committed yet. What is the speed rating on this tire? Someone told me N. Check yours out and let me know. Also, post a review of them after some miles in the Tire Review post.
yes, 255/85-16. They do have the N speed rating, I've got a sports car and my wifes Murano if I need to get there sooner.

So far I can say they have a much more aggressive tread than the factory Offroad tires and the increased road noise to prove it.

·
on line
704 Posts
Hi,

May I be a devil's advocate and say, "Why the hell would you need larger tires?" 285s are nice, but can somebody on this board explain to me how an additional 1/2" will benefit me? Take a look at a ruler and you'll see that increase in clearance will be minimal :) I would stick with 265s.

Skinny 255s are fine if you know the benefits of the narrow tire and you're intended to use the rig for that particular purpose. They look cool on too :)

·
on line
9 Posts
I just got new tires on my 05 SE this past weekend, ended up going with Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17's and love them. They are not that much bigger than stock but are perfect for me!!!!

·
on line
4 Posts
This is my first post in this forum. I've been contributing over at the Xterra Owners Club forum, and had the same question for my 06 SE 4x4. I'm looking at Bstone Revo 265/70/17 for next set of tires. I've done absolutely no mods, and don't want to have to do anything (lifting, melting, trimming) to install tires that don't rub.

The OR comes stock with 265/75/16, which is probably very close in diameter to what would be my SE's 265/70/17 (31.8"), but I didn't know if the OR had some extra clearance.

I'd like to know for sure, b/c I doubt I'd pull the $800 trigger based on a probably.

·
on line
259 Posts
vman said:
Hi,

May I be a devil's advocate and say, "Why the hell would you need larger tires?" 285s are nice, but can somebody on this board explain to me how an additional 1/2" will benefit me? Take a look at a ruler and you'll see that increase in clearance will be minimal :) I would stick with 265s.

Skinny 255s are fine if you know the benefits of the narrow tire and you're intended to use the rig for that particular purpose. They look cool on too :)
I agree. 265/70/17 (eq. 265/75/16) is all you need. Specially if you do mostly on-road. There is also a 255/75/17 that is a tad taller, but I don't think you'll (or anyone) will notice the difference. You can get the BFG M/T's in 255/75/17 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/4-New-LT-255-75...ryZ66473QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for $500 SHIPPED!

·
on line
197 Posts
Pics of my 05 SE with 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revos:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7230

I'll probably wait till I wear these out in 3 years or so and go to the 285/70/17. I saw about a 1-2 mpg loss coming over from the 265/65/17 LongTrails.

·
on line
4 Posts
They look sweet krucam! I definitely prefer the beefier look you get from the more aggresive tread and bigger sidewall. I noticed the difference in looks when I was shopping for Xs between the larger standard BF Goodrich RT on the OR and LT on the other models.

How have the Revos been treating you?

·
on line
197 Posts
I've not done any major offroading since putting them on in Nov and we had an absolutely terrible winter (read no friggin snow) in Southern MD this winter. I have taken it out to play in some mud and the amount of mud I had to clean out of the wheelwell was incredible! They did their job of shedding mud well! It was fun taking that to the car wash afterwards!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts