87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,293 Posts
I had one of these. It sucked a reed valve after a couple of months and wasn't worth repairing.

There are enough bad reviews out there to make these a hit or miss proposition. If I wanted a 12v compressor with similar output I would spend the extra few dollars and get a Viair 88P - better built and far better customer service.

Currently $65.99 on Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B005ASY23I

Viair website: 88P Portable Compressor | VIAIR

That being said, I think the best value for a 12v compressor with sufficient capacity to efficiently fill 32-33" tires (265/75R16 or 285/75R16) is the Viair 400P, currently $179 on Amazon but regularly on sale for about $150-160.

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-40043-400P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000X9AXR8

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I have the Viair 88P and it gets stupid hot airing up my 285s. It works, just be careful handling it for a few minutes after airing up.

·
Super Moderator
4,293 Posts
I have the Viair 88P and it gets stupid hot airing up my 285s. It works, just be careful handling it for a few minutes after airing up.
All of the 12v portable compressors get hot.

One concern with all 12v compressors is dissipation of the heat generated by compressing the air. I recall a thread on another forum for "hot rodding" the MV-50/MF-1050 compressors. There was a photo of the limited contact points between the cylinder sleeve and outer finned assembly. The author believed that insufficient contact between the sleeve and outer assembly contributed to the MV-50/MF-1050's inability to adequately dissipate heat which in turn contributed to the reported failures of those units. If a recall correctly, there was a photo of another brand compressor with better heat dissipation design. I've sometimes wondered if my Viair units feeling slightly hotter than my now defunct MF-1050 after filling up a set of tires had something to do with the Viar being better able to dissipate heat to the outer finned assembly than the MF-1050.

I own two Viair 400 series compressors - a 400P portable unit I carry in my Xerra and a 400H hard mounted under the hood of my jeep. For the hard mounted compressor I added a brass check valve at the cylinder head so that the piston will not have to start moving under pressure, thus reducing initial amp load, and I used a large brass "ell" that also serves as a heat sink to help carry heat away from the cylinder head. Does the extra brass as a heat sink matter? Who knows, but I like to think it does.

BTW - One advantage of Viair compressors over those ubiquitous cheap chinese red compressors is standard 1/4" NPT thread. This allows one to use standard U.S. fittings to plumb the unit as desired or change over to standard air hose fittings and aftermarket hoses.

I have never liked those coiled plastic hoses and use a Flexzilla 1/4" x 25' hose with open flow chuck instead (shown with Viair 400P and DIY inflation/deflation tool):

1 - 10 of 10 Posts