Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Username: marksmatter

Make: Nissan
Year: 2012
Model: Xterra
Trim: PRO-4X, 6MT
Color: Knight Armour (a.k.a. Night Armor)

Comments: Not nearly as modified as some rigs on here, but I figured I’d make a page as a diary of sorts. Goal is a very capable overland/camping vehicle. Initially inspired a lot by Surf and Snow’s rig (though the color is actually a coincidence). I will get some better pics soon(ish) and link the mods. I still have a lot of work to do, but it is already proving to be very capable, and I am very happy with my X.

MODS

Powertrain & Drivetrain:
[+] Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 Oil with Mobil 1 Filter
[+] Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
[+] Rear Diff breather extension
[+] Air Box Mod
[+] Off Road Gorilla/Ruffstuff M226 Rear Differential Cover

Suspension, Wheels, Tires:
[+] 285/75R16 GoodYear Wrangler DuraTrac Tires, Load E
[+] Procomp 7089-6868 Wheels
[+] Melt Mod
Front:
[+] SPC UCA’s
[+] Bilstein 24-187053 Front Height Adjustable Shocks
[+] 1” Lift Spacers
[+] Nisstec Camber Bolt Kit
Rear:
[+] OME Dakar Leaf Springs (used, so disassembled and rebuilt)
[+] Nisstec adjustable shackles set on lowest hole
[+] NissTec Rear Sway Bar ReLocate for towing only
[-] Rear Sway Bar
[-] Front sway bar

Exterior:
[+] Shrockworks Engine Skid
[+] Locking Roof-bin mod (T-handle)
[+] Rear Diff Breather Mod
[+] WeatherTech In-Channel Side Window Deflectors
[+] Front windows tinted to match rears
[-] Mud Flaps
[+] Dephep rack with Modified Hi-Lift Mount
[+] Xoskel Rear LoPro Light Mount
[-] KC55 Lights (manually switched)
[+] LED Backup Lights
[+] RBH2 Raingler Ballistic Rack Handles
[-] Curt 4,000lb Tow Hitch
[+] Bucksnort Rear Bumper with Custom Tire Carrier
[+] Nissan OEM Trailer Harness w/ Plug in Rear Bumper
[+] VLEDS 6K LED Reverse Lights

Interior:
[+] Remote Switched 750W Inverter with GFCI receptacle
[+] Weathertech Digi-Liner front and rear floor liners
[+] Heavy Duty Cargo Tie Downs
[+] Privacy curtains for sleeping in the X
[+] Rear hatch "open from inside" mod
[+] Dephep Rear Window MOLLE Panels (Sustainment & SAW Pouches)
[+] Rex Rug Mod
[+] Euro Key Mod
[+] Console pistol storage
[+] Raingler RN90 Upper half Divider Net
[+] Raingler RSH Headrest Handles
[-] Raingler RIXN Large Ceiling Net
[+] VLEDS 6K LED Interior Lights
[+] 175lb Rear Hatch Struts
[+] Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Proportional Brake Controller with Nissan and Infiniti Adapter
[+] 700 Lumen Maglite Truck Club
[+] WeatherTech Cargo Liner Mat
[+] Ambient Light Mod

Comms:
[+] CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna
[+] Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio
[+] Xoskel CB Antenna Mount
[+] Custom CB Coax Cable
[+] Firestick 2' fiberglass CB antenna with HD spring

Recovery:
[+] 48" Hi-Lift Xtreme (Lift-mate, handle keeper, neoprene cover)
[+] 12 Ton Bottle jack
[+] Warn 2" receiver recovery shackle mount
[+] Warn 30' 3” Recovery (Snatch) Strap
[+] Warn Choker Chain
[+] Hi-Lift Lift-Mate

Other:
[+] Underseat Tool Storage
[+] Improved first aid kit (emphasis on controlling bleeding)
[-] 4 Scepter MFC Gas Cans
[+] Cold Steel Shovel (sharpened to double as axe) w/ Sheath
[+] Goodyear Portable Air Compressor
[-] Raingler MCN Roof Rack Containment Net
[+] Tons of Ratchet straps
[+] Skeeter Beater Window Screens (for sleeping in the X)
[+] Super Siphon w/ 6' Extension

PHOTOS

At stealership:

Now:

Camping:

Earning its keep:

Co-pilot (Guinness):

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome build! Love the pictures too!
Are those reverse bulbs noticeably brighter?
Great build page, really organized.
Thanks man. I give credit to those who laid out many of the original how-to's. Yeah, they are a good bit brighter than stock, but I still find myself using the rear roof lights when it's really dark out.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL. I have no idea what actual breed he is. He is a former street urchin that found his way into our lives and won our hearts. I'd guess he has some sheepdog in him by his behavior - maybe some retriever by the shape of his skull. In any case, he's a good boy.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
LOL. I have no idea what actual breed he is. He is a former street urchin that found his way into our lives and won our hearts. I'd guess he has some sheepdog in him by his behavior - maybe some retriever by the shape of his skull. In any case, he's a good boy.
Nice looking x so far. As for the urchin, doesn't matter. Rescues are the best kind!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plans (a.k.a.dreams) and funds are distinctly different maillet! :) But yes, I need steel front and rear for sure. Sliders (White Knuckle) may come sooner rather than later (depending on bonus) and I need to finish the rest of the skids.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
sounds like you've got an idea of where you want your X be. and I agree, plans and funds are completely different. the only reason I was able to afford the bumper I have is cause of a deployment to Afghanistan

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
sounds like you've got an idea of where you want your X be. and I agree, plans and funds are completely different. the only reason I was able to afford the bumper I have is cause of a deployment to Afghanistan
Thanks for your service. When I served (mid 90's in the US), the world was in-between conflicts, so there was little action to be had. Do you guys have a CF-18 squadron up there? If so, I think a friend's dad was CO at one point. I met a couple of Tutor pilots that knew the guy in SYR.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
where I am stationed right now is the primary flight training center. every CF pilot comes through Moose jaw to get their basic wings. after here they move off to either the CF 18 school or to the rotary or multy engine aircraft schools

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just a small interior mod today, but one that I thought was pretty neat (although not completely Xterra peculiar). My first mistake was to visit candlepowerforums.com and learn about tons of cool flashlight mods. I decided to take my old 3D Maglite and gave it new life as an illuminated truck club. I know there are smaller lights out there, and I own a few of them. However, there is something nice about the size and heft of a Maglite. That said, the incandescent ones in particular are a bit 80's at this point.

So, I stripped it down, sanded it, and painted it with Duracoat (Parker color) that I had leftover from another project. I bought a Malkoff XM-L LED drop in, a new glass lens, a Bust A Cap glass breaking tailcap, and installed some NiMH LSD (Low Self Discharge) D cell batteries. It came out pretty nice, and pumps 700 real lumens out the business end.

Then I mounted a couple of Quickfist clamps on the driver-side door, and now I have a 700 lumen, glass-breaking truck club by my side in the X. The parker finish nicely matches the interior too! :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't take credit for any of it. I got the mounting idea from a thread here (forget which one) and I picked the brains of others for the flashlight mod.

I'm a follower, not a leader, lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts