Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For just a moment, let's imagine a world where someone buys a 2011 Xterra that has no map light. So this man, a short, fat, sweaty man decides to buy an oem map light. And as he goes to install it, he stumbles upon the unfortunate truth that his Xterra came with no wiring harness ran up to the point where it should be. So this man decides to try and wire it to the rear overhead light but of course, the wiring makes no sense to him. He has tried to wire it any way he can. The closest he got was, The lights turn on and off with the door, they turn on and off with the switch, and the passenger map turns on and off when pressed. But when you press the drivers map light, it turns everything on. Is it magic? Or is it a very stupid sweaty owner that has no idea what he is doing? I'm asking for a friend of course.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a base model, I mean he... He has a base model. They leave all sorts of stuff out on those. Map lights, fog lights, cross bars, drivers seat...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
354 Posts
Did your friend ever figure out the problem?
I did or just like you I know someone who just did the same everything works but when doors are open Nothing

·
Registered
354 Posts
Map lights have three wires
Black I ground it to the light frame
the other two I tapped on to the passenger light (Middle)
Like I said all works On and Off with switch and individual light no problem, however no light whe the door is open.
Any Ideas

·
on line
5,157 Posts
Our dome lights have a switched ground, not positive. This may be where you're running into a problem.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That is correct I did not even had the bracket to mount the map light
The whole head liner was removed for this addition
For the wiring do you guys recommend disconnecting the black I have grounded right now and just try to connected to one of the wired coming from the mid light?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Way back in the day my buddy's mom tried to install a stereo in a 80 something POS mustang. She ended up messing with all kinds of wiring and the fuse box. Stereo would only work with the door open, windshield washer honked the horn, pressing the horn made the clock turn off.

·
Registered
255 Posts
On my wiring diagram, the pin no. 1 is connected to + 12v source (pin 56 from the BCM, under the dash), pin no. 2 receives it's ground from pin 63 on the BCM and pin no. 2 is provided a direct ground.

A ground on pin 2 allows the lamp to light when the door are opened and the direct ground on pin 3 allows to light directly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Here's the diagram, after re-reading you explanation, it's seems that it's connected backward. The wire common to both light is supposed to be a +12v (taking it from the actual lamp is ok).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts