Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. I just passed 31,000 miles on my '05 OR and am now slightly "overdue" for my 30,000 mile maintenance. The dealership (STEALERSHIP) that I trust (RELATIVELY) is telling me that I should bring it in for their following 30,000 service ASAP:
  • Replace Air Cleaner
    Inspect Charcoal Canister
    Inspect Vapor Lines
    Inspect EGR System
    Drain & Refill Engine Antifreeze
    Inspect Emissions System
    Perform Engine Tune
    Add Fuel System Additive
    Fuel Induction Service
    To the tune of $500.00

For frame of reference:
  • I have virtually no mechanical ability
    I do moderate wheeling

Are the services listed all good ideas? Are there other services I need to consider? How much is the dealership trying to 'jack me?

Thanks for your input!

·
on line
1,891 Posts
My dealer wanted almost $600 for that service, I told them to go blow a goat, and just did it myself. I just used the "How-to-section" here to help me with it. Can't complain, the X is running like a champ now. I don't have that much mechanical experience, but with the direction and guidance of this site, definitely helped me out. I spent an overall of about $200-250 on all the things I used (ie: fluids, replacement parts, garage time).

·
on line
47 Posts
Air filter you can do yourself, as for the coolant if it's been at least 2yrs then that's a must do. The dealer should have a list or something of exactly what they would do, pick out what"s not necessary or you can DIY, then get a price on the remainder.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well pilgrim, here's what the book says-enjoy--

--

--You decide !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
576 Posts
Had mine done at the stealership for $227, original quote was for $369 and I got credit for bringing my own oil for the engine and differential. I requested the transmission be done also but they didn't have enough of the Nissan Matic J fluid so I will hold of until 60k as they said it was good until 60k anyways. I'd have done everything myself but the condo we stay at doesn't allow such work in the parking lot. Maybe next time I'll just take it on base and use the lift to do all the work if I have the time.

·
on line
47 Posts
JIMBO said:
:clown: Well pilgrim, here's what the book says-enjoy--

--

--You decide !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO
Don't make the mistake I made in thinking that the dealer's 30K mi "service" includes everything the book says should be done. Lesson learned the hard way when I was already out $300+ (including a credit for my own oil) and inquired why the cabin microfilter was not replaced. The response was "Oh, here, take a look at our brochure as to what we serviced on your vehicle today." To my surprise, quite a bit of what was in the book was not on that list.

·
on line
47 Posts
Also, I meant to ask, in the original post he mentioned "fuel additive". In the book doesn't it say not to use fuel additives in our Xterras? if it wasn't 2 in the morning here I'd run down to check the exact page it's on.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I would try and do as much of the stuff as possible yourself. If you are totally against the idea, make sure that you get the dealer to put full synthetic in everything (its just worth it). and like some people have suggested bring the oil you want, so you know you are getting what you asked for...

Oh, you dont need any fuel additive....

·
on line
155 Posts
Yup, it states in the manual that nissan doesn't recommend fuel/oil additives. It's just another way for the dealership to make a couple extra bucks. If you want to add that stuff, just buy it yourself, that way you're 100% sure that it was put in. I always take my own oil in. I have noticed quite a difference between the factory oil nissan puts in and the Quaker State Q-Torque that I use.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
SKW said:
Don't make the mistake I made in thinking that the dealer's 30K mi "service" includes everything the book says should be done...
And don't make the mistake of thinking that all that garbage on the "premium" side of things is required, either. The required items are on the right, under sch 1/2. Tranny fluid should be fine till at least 60K, if not longer.

·
on line
17 Posts
Ill be the test rat
Mobil 1 oil change and Mobil 1 filter every 7500
Air filter every 15000 give or take
Thats it
Stay tuned!

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input. My plan after all of the responses is to do as much of the easy stuff myself and then I think I'll go by the manual vs. the dealership's list. Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts