Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Manually Locking Hubs on a 2nd Gen

13K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Sproatlake 
#1 ·
Alright boys and girls, in the continual pursuit of gas mileage (dont laugh, I know you're laughing), I've come to the conclusion that I would really really like to put hubs in, hubs that I could manually unlock and therefore not have to be turning the cv's and front diff and everything back to the transfer case, while on the highway. could be quite the improvement! or not... but I was wondering if there was any way of doing this relatively easily? or if there was a product that could accomplish this?

#6 ·
Get rid of the lift and over sized tires. that's unfortunately the only way your going to see any real gains in fuel economy. Also higher mileage you may want to think about stuff like new 02 sensors and getting an alignment. Make sure your tires are well balanced and tire pressures are good. Also get your brakes serviced to make sure there's no drag and to clean out any debris you've picked up wheeling.

#7 ·
Install of these for AMAZING, UNBELIEVABLE GAINS IN MPG!

Air Intake Supercharger Booster Turbonator

Note - I am not affiliated with, nor condone the purchase/use of this product. Buy it at your own risk and if people laugh at you, tell them you are a sucker and will believe anything people tell you. :)

#18 ·
If you haven't already done so, think about switching to full synthetic lubes throughout your drivetrain. I had gone to Redline synthetics in my 06 6 speed, and it seemed to gain a little MPG. The big plus is everything seems to work smoother!

#20 ·
Malcolm, eat it. As for the rest of it, I dunno. I'm always looking for that holy grail you know, the one thing that can make the mileage go up a lot. (It's a bit like hunting unicorns)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.