Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading some of the old forum posts about what kind of fluid/oil to use in the manual transmission and I was left wondering what I should go with.

From the sticky;
Manual Transmission:
Type: Genuine Nissan Manual Transmission Fluid HQ Multi 75W-85 or API GL-4, Viscosity SAW 75W-85 or 75W-90
2WD Capacity: 4 1/4 qt or 3.98 L
4WD Capacity: 4 3/8 qt or 4.18 L

It seems the service interval is 60k Miles so I'm a bit behind. Is that correct?

I'm at 93,000km and I was looking at the AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90. I was hoping to find a "better" fluid to put in my transmission as I do tow and any extra protection or service life is of high value in my books.

I know using GL-4 is a big concern and something to specifically find (GL-5 is apparently bad for our brass Synchros?). However, I'm wondering about the viscosities. The Nissan fluid is 75W-85, but would 75W-90 be any better/worse off?

Seems lots of people recommend the OEM Nissan fluid. Some of those who don't use the Nissan fluid complain about hard shifts in the winter. I do notice its hard to get into gear when its -30C out, but figured its a fact of life up here in Hoth.

What fluid do you recommend using? OEM, or aftermarket?
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Suggest going OE Nissan for this.

Modern 6 & 7 speed synchromesh transmissions have a lot of moving parts and can become notchy/difficult to shift if the viscosity and additives or friction modifiers are not exactly what the system was designed to run.

This is how it was explained to me and seems to hold true for the European cars I have owned. My Boxster & a Volvo S60 I used to own both shifted like junk on anything but OE.

As you said OP, Nissan's have this reputation for notchy cold shifting with non-OE oil.

I learned my lesson & just stick with factory fill on standard trans unless there is a proven aftermarket improvement.

The most rousing endorsement you will find for most non-OE trans oil is "don't notice a difference" or "works fine."

Personally no longer waste my time & energy experimenting here.

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,151 Posts
I just recently changed my fluid out. Didn't know about the GL4/5 issue at the time. I put in Mobil1 75W-90 which is 4/5. The trans felt much notchier and was harder to get into certain gears. Didn't feel as smooth as it did before the change. Reading the forum about trans fluid alerted me to the 4/5 potential issue and I drained it less than 2k miles into it. Put in Nissan 75W-85 and it's back to feeling smooth and easy going into all gears. I'd just stick with the Nissan.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Nissan fluid is basically liquid gold here. For 5 bottles I was quoted $170CAD.
I think this is the route I'm going to go with.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
584 Posts
I used Amsoil for my last fluid change. I did not notice a difference in shifting but the fluid still looked new that I removed at 70k miles. Very well could have already been changed once before. I have always thought the gear box was a little notchy on shifts but nothing too bad. I think I will try the Nissan fluid for my next change to see if I feel a difference. I am getting close to 140k miles now so it is probably time to change it again.

Reactions: secular

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,151 Posts
I used Amsoil for my last fluid change. I did not notice a difference in shifting but the fluid still looked new that I removed at 70k miles. Very well could have already been changed once before. I have always thought the gear box was a little notchy on shifts but nothing too bad. I think I will try the Nissan fluid for my next change to see if I feel a difference. I am getting close to 140k miles now so it is probably time to change it again.
Nah, the Nissan 6MT is just notchy-feeling right from the get-go. The Mobil1 I temporarily had in mine just made it worse in addition to making it feel harder to shift into certain gears at certain speeds. I had 60K on my OEM fluid and it came out looking near new, not that I'd recommend that long!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Redline MT85

Matches the weird Nissan viscosity almost perfectly. It's a GL4. (I did a 50/50 mix of MT80 and MT90 before they came out with the 85)

Almost no degradation is gear changes at low temperatures. My truck simply wouldn't engage gears at 10f or 15f with other stuff in the gearbox.

IMHO Redline makes about the best oil on the market. Straight ester base, it's fundamentally turbine oil. It's almost single handedly kept my e36 track dog running flawlessly despite bonkers oil temps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts