Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
44K when the clutch failed on my 2012 4WD. I'm one of those guys who has driven a manual transmission for years throughout my 50 plus years of driving. In the past, I have never had a clutch wear out before 100K miles. So this came as a complete shock to me.

I am on my second OEM setup (clutch, pressure plate, new flywheel, throwout bearing, idler bearing, in short: everything) now. I have driven it for about 7K miles on this clutch.

I may have been stupid putting on all OEM gear back on after what happened. But I am a big believer of only using OEM parts. But after reading on this here, I believe I will order and have on hand a new set of JWT stuff for the next time it happens.

Thanks for starting this thread Mr. OP.

J.

·
Registered
901 Posts
93k and still very strong. I bought it at 69k.

Still chirps the tires on a hard acceleration going into second and sometimes third.
Towed a stupid amount of weight with it no problems.

Stupid amount of weight, definitively over the max tow capacity of 5,000 lb.

Most of a maple tree. Maple is heavy.
Went out at 125k. It was completely gone soon after the first signs of failure.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Mine started to slip at 215k(km) or 133k miles for those south of the border. Could have probably lasted longer if I babied it but I knew I had to haul a heavy trailer load 600km's through some big hills so I got it done before that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine started slipping at 122k miles, I had a feeling it was going to go eventually, but I sped up the process when I was dragging some fallen trees off the dirt road to a friends cabin, combination of lack of traction on the snow, steep road grade and the weight of the trees caused it to start to slip. babied it back home, got it back two days ago with the JWT flywheel and organic clutch combo. loving it so far.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just hit 173k miles on the original clutch. Still going strong. When it does go, I have my JWT clutch/flywheel set ready for installation. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Between 140 and 180 would be optimal

·
Registered
780 Posts
Wow, quite a range on here. But the consensus seems to be that if you drive it somewhat reasonably (and sometimes not) it should last over 100k, unless you bought a "friday afternoon special" and/or just had bad luck.

I'm at 117k and still going strong. And I've smoked it in 4Hi on trails before I figured out that 4-Lo is a MT's friend :p

·
Registered
259 Posts
Made it to 100k, put the vehicle in storage for 2 years and when i got it back the clutch started slipping on the drive home. Thinking they burned up the clutch trying to drive it up onto one of the car transporters. This was also my 1st MT vehicle and I used it offroad fairly regularly so that didn't help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just a small update, 2nd clutch is now going strong for 85k+ No issues so far.

I think original clutch was hit and miss, I have not had a burning smell on the new one whilst on the original, it happened all the time. I did not change my driving style one bit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
2006 Off Road

I currently have 169k ( bought with 118k ) on what I believe to be the original clutch

2nd owner, but I have some service records for it and nothing indicates any replacement.

However, original owner used it to commute about 150 miles / day with little to no offroading.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just got back from the dealership after getting the timing chain done. I'm at 66k miles. Service writer said that the tech thinks my clutch has 10% more life in it based on clutch feel from when he did a quick test drive.

Truck is new to me. I assume I'll have to do the clutch in the next 10k miles unless the tech was just full of crap...
Honestly feeling like the truck is a money pit at this point. Just bought it for $11k and within the first couple months of ownership it needs $3k in unforeseen repairs.

I guess I can estimate that my clutch lasted 70k miles, which I think is unacceptable. I can't imagine how the previous owner managed to kill the clutch so fast, so in all honesty I chock it up to inferior Nissan build quality. Makes sense why my 2007 65k miles Xterra cost as much as a similarly equipped 2002 4Runner with 150k miles.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts