Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to figure out if a set of axle shafts and center section with locker from a 2014 X will fit in my 2006 X. My truck is a 6 speed with the m226, in theory I would think you would be able to swap out the parts but I'm not sure if something might hold me up. The one thing I know that i'll need to do, is reuse my ring gear. I would not mess with it at all but the parts would be free and my truck has developed a leak at the drives side seal. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Yup, it should all drop in ... just be mindful that the e-locker shafts are different lengths, and therefore side-specific; they need to go back in the same side that they came out of, in order to avoid interference in the carrier.

If you, later, decide to switch to an ARB carrier, either re-use your existing open-compatible shafts (not side specific) or swap the sides of your e-locker shafts - the ARB takes them on opposite sides from the e-locker.

Or, just replace your seals and keep rocking the open diff ... ;) ... you'll have to replace the leaky one anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
Im not sure what you would have to do for the wire harness that goes through the housing. Not sure if you can buy that part or not. I would assume there would be some drilling/tapping required like there is with the ARB

I have an open M226 also and if I ever replace my carrier I'll either go with an ARB locker or a Detroit Trutrac LSD - just my .02

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Im not sure what you would have to do for the wire harness that goes through the housing. Not sure if you can buy that part or not. I would assume there would be some drilling/tapping required like there is with the ARB
Oh - you probably have to get new axle shafts too since the OEM locker requires one to be short. The open M226's have equal length shafts
OP mentioned getting the shafts & carrier both, I'd assume the wiring harness and DLCU (box that interfaces between the diff side harness/actuator and the truck's switch) should also be available ... may want to grab them, but if they're not available I think the 'locker anytime mod' should work to get everything functional with user-supplied wiring.

If this is all coming out of a junked vehicle (OP mentions parts being free ... so not sure what the story is there, or what-all is available), and the whole axle is in decent shape, it might just be easier to swap gears & bolt the new axle in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Good question about what to do with getting the wires through the axle, I've still got to figure that part out. I was planning on wiring the locker completely separate from any of the truck wiring. To be honest I need to look at the "locker anytime mod".

A little back story on the free parts. The parts came out of an axle that had the cover ripped open and all of the fluid drained out. After the original owner repaired the axle ( guy owns a nissan dealership ) these parts were left over to be junked. i'm sure that all of the seals and bearings will need to be replaced, does anyone think that the lack of fluid would have hurt the diff/locker itself?

·
Registered
81 Posts
It sure can. You should closely inspect it and see if you can lock/unlock it on the bench. Maybe some pics would help us help you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to figure out if a set of axle shafts and center section with locker from a 2014 X will fit in my 2006 X. My truck is a 6 speed with the m226, in theory I would think you would be able to swap out the parts but I'm not sure if something might hold me up. The one thing I know that i'll need to do, is reuse my ring gear. I would not mess with it at all but the parts would be free and my truck has developed a leak at the drives side seal. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi
I want to do this same mod.
did you ever do it?
Can you tell me the detailed on what parts I’ll need. Thanks.
ryan

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Just get the complete rear axle and put it in. So many less headaches and probably costs less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts