Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving along and all my dash lights come on along with the vdc control making that awful noise, so I pulled over. Then it would crank over at all, not even a click. So I pull the battery and have it tested, it was bad. I got a new battery and it tried to crank one time then back to nothing not even a click. Another weird thing is my headlights and dash lights come on when I try to start it but the switch is in the off position. Any ideas. Please help. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Sounds like your alternator failed, and took out your battery along with it. Also sounds like you have corroded or poorly attached terminals at your battery. Take them off, clean them thoroughly including wire brushing them, then make them tight to the posts, no ability to twist or wiggle, and go get the alternator tested, because it sounds like its toast. Low voltage causes relays to get all freaky, hence the weird light behavior regardless of switch position.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the positive terminal was pretty corroded and I replaced it with a new one. The negative side looked fine but I still cleaned both terminals. I guess I'll have to have it towed to the dealer to get it checked.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The fact that the new battery, which I assume the place you purchased from ensured it was charged - only cranked one time - so it points to bad connections. The battery cables on X are a bit of a mess IMHO. Multiple connections, multiple segments along with all the fuses right at the battery, etc etc. I would take all of them off and clean all the connections - make sure everything is connected properly - both the hot and ground. At least then you will know where you are starting from if it turns out not to be the problem

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It turn out not to be the alternator. It was a problem with the "steering angle sensor". I'm still not sure what this even is, but they recalibrated it and it runs like a top now. Luckily it only cost me $80 instead of hundreds.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
It turn out not to be the alternator. It was a problem with the "steering angle sensor". I'm still not sure what this even is, but they recalibrated it and it runs like a top now. Luckily it only cost me $80 instead of hundreds.
Wow, that's odd. Usually those symptoms are alternator or crappy battery connections. Weird.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
272 Posts
Never would have guessed that. Glad it's fixed though

Rik

1 - 11 of 11 Posts