Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I recently bought a 2005, 6spd, RWD, with 117k on the clock. After driving for a couple days the low oil pressure light came on when I would be at Idle. So I checked and there was almost no oil at all.....this is maybe 4 days after buying the car and there prior to buying the car the dipstick measured approximately somewhere in the middle of full and empty. So I filled it with oil, took it a couple days later to the Nissan dealership for a oil change. Technician said the drain bolt was loose so I contributed the oil loss to that. Well after commuting about 5 days the light came on again...I checked and almost no oil!!! So I refilled and prepared for the worst. On the way to my local mechanic to have some diagnostic work my wife told me the car was smoking white smoke almost the entire time and took a video of it. Sure enough my mechanic said he is 90% sure the main bearing is bad and its just a matter of time before the main bearing spins. I'm at a loss as to I can't believe that this would happen. Anyone with any other experiences with this? He said it was not a simple procedure and that I would be better off in selling the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
O and I've tried using engine restore hoping it might help....and it didn't really do much at all. Kept the engine from smoking constantly, but still uses a ton of oil.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sounds like if your oil plug was leaking oil everywhere you ran it dry a couple of times and that's what messed that bearing up. White smoke could just as easily be a bad ring letting oil in the combustion chamber or coolant from a bad head gasket all the same. Either way your engine is in need of major repair, and if you bought it that way look into the lemon laws of your area. If you haven't noticed a big puddle of oil under your truck that oil was going somewhere else....like into the combustion chamber. The people who sold you that truck screwed you over. Sue them if they won't take the truck back. The VQ40 should not be worn at that mileage, it's a good motor. Failure to keep oil in it has damaged it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang ya thats what I'm afraid of is a complete engine rebuild. I've been searching through the forum and google for the last couple hours and haven't really found anything about anyone doing a full rebuild on a VQ40DE. Does anyone have any experience in this or am I better off with a new car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya it was my fault for not having a mechanic look at it. I also made the mistake of buying out of town. Traded the xterra in and lost a little bit of money but at least I got most of my money back....O well live and learn.

·
on line
306 Posts
Someone ran blew head gaskets and it ate the oil. Now you have blown head gaskets and perhaps bad main bearings

1 - 11 of 11 Posts